JamesMusslewhite

On-topic by also being Off-topic

JamesMusslewhite

This is the topic which has no topics, so you cannot ever be off-topic. The point is, there is no point, so if a member post something that is on their mind. And if other responds until that thought string seems to have run the course, then another thought stream of a topic begins until it concludes. It later a previously thought stream finds itself to lather, rinse and repeat then so be it. A thread of the ‘much to do about nothing much’, which can actually be about anything reverent. A thread of continuing collective discussions, by members discussing random topic; where the rule of going off-topic is the rule  And as such a thread can adapt and perhaps take on a life of itself, then perhaps it will never close.

So who wants to start the first topic?

Edited by JamesMusslewhite
  • Like 1

Daddle

I decline to participate in discussions where wandering off topic is prohibited. On the other hand, I excel at rambling pointless discussions. Confused. Perhaps your first post has put too many constrains on the topic?

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Davaoeno

I get it James- you want a Bullshit thread !!   Where we post any drivel that comes to mind and try to sell it as having some kind of meaning. Sort of like being in the bar at 1am . 

Sorry but I'd rather get a root canal.

• Haha 3

SkyMan
2 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

I get it James- you want a Bullshit thread !!

Another one?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

jtmwatchbiz

Where we post any drivel that comes to mind and try to sell it as having some kind of meaning.

what's the problem?  I've got over 20,000 of that type of post under my belt so far.  :biggrin_01:  

• Haha 3

RogerDuMond

I get it James- you want a Bullshit thread !!   Where we post any drivel that comes to mind and try to sell it as having some kind of meaning.

So just like a normal topic.

• Like 2

Headshot
3 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

They can do that for you at Green Apple Dentists in Ayala.

Cgu
4 hours ago, JamesMusslewhite said:

This is the topic which has no topics, so you cannot ever be off-topic. The point is, there is no point, so if a member post something that is on their mind. And if other responds until that thought string seems to have run the course, then another thought stream of a topic begins until it concludes. It later a previously thought stream finds itself to lather, rinse and repeat then so be it. A thread of the ‘much to do about nothing much’, which can actually be about anything reverent. A thread of continuing collective discussions, by members discussing random topic; where the rule of going off-topic is the rule  And as such a thread can adapt and perhaps take on a life of itself, then perhaps it will never close.

Facebook is organized that way (well a little bit more organized..but that is the idea) ...there are no "topics"...a little late with that...and that is one of the major difference of forums to FB groups...hmmmmmm...so you infer to transfer this forum to FB...that would be a rapid decline of this group, as you really need to moderate it better as the other groups....open competition...my opinion it would not have a chance.

jtmwatchbiz
14 minutes ago, Cgu said:

Facebook is organized that way (well a little bit more organized..but that is the idea) ...there are no "topics"...a little late with that...and that is one of the major difference of forums to FB groups...hmmmmmm...so you infer to transfer this forum to FB...that would be a rapid decline of this group, as you really need to moderate it better as the other groups....open competition...my opinion it would not have a chance.

you do of course realize this is the "off-topic" section of this forum right?  :biggrin_01:

• Haha 1

jtmwatchbiz
11 hours ago, JamesMusslewhite said:

great idea and I will step up.  

does anyone know what baby lobsters eat?  

• Haha 1

mikewright
13 hours ago, JamesMusslewhite said:

A thread of the ‘much to do about nothing much’, which can actually be about anything reverent.

Shurely shome mishtake? Hasn't the Religion sub-forum been closed?

• Like 1

Davaoeno

which can actually be about anything reverent.

I much prefer to dwell on the irreverent !!   [ sometimes known as irrelevant !! ]

• Like 2

JamesMusslewhite
14 hours ago, RogerDuMond said:

So just like a normal topic.

Yes...

When I thought of this thread I had contemplated the primary primary difference between upstairs threads and a downstairs thread? Upstairs threads by design strictly adhere to the 'stay on topic' rule, where posts that stray to far or for too long are castigated through warning, being hidden or worse removed. Over the years I have seen many such threads which sparked spontaneous inner topic discussion among members. And often seem far more interesting or sometimes more relevant, but rarely has the castigation resulted in a new thread creation. It is a known fact that rarely a phone of 5 minutes no result in repetitiveness, so longer calls are primarily only repeating what had already been previously said. I think threads are the same which is why they lose interest. If a group sits down together and begins conversing amusing themselves, their conversations are rarely regimented and held to staying on topic. Is this not what attracts members to downstairs threads? Call this a social experiment. Am my hypothesis: a thread allowed to naturally evolve in a free-flowing conversation among friends, will have longevity.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

JamesMusslewhite
18 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

I get it James- you want a Bullshit thread !!   Where we post any drivel that comes to mind and try to sell it as having some kind of meaning. Sort of like being in the bar at 1am . 

A man repeatedly banned for actually doing, that which he now prefers root canal over doing now? 

It's official, our Ian was obviously addicted by forum Triffids and assimilated by 'pod-people' overlords....

JamesMusslewhite
8 hours ago, jtmwatchbiz said:

great idea and I will step up.  

does anyone know what baby lobsters eat?  

seafood

• Like 2
  • Haha 1