battleborn

New coins

battleborn

A little while back the government introduced some new coins.  The 5 and  25 centavo, and the 1, 5, and 10 piso.  All the same finish, and they made the 1 a little smaller and the 10 bigger.  For me it made the new coins mixed in with the old ones a little confusing to tell apart.  Especially the 5. 

Well in December they will be reintroducing the 5 that will be more distinguishable.  Good

They also will stop printing the 20 piso note ( wears out to quickly ) and replace it with a 20 piso coin.  Not a good idea to me.  More coins in my pocket, and it will affect my bill paying at the sky cable machine where they take bills not coins.  And I wonder how it will affect those Jeepney drivers with 20 piso bills wrapped up between their fingers.

Oh well, life goes on in Cebu

jtmwatchbiz

I always find it endearing to read of the issues concerning the little people who are forced to indulge themselves in handling things like small bills and coins.   I can't remember the last time I ever carried anything less than 1000p notes.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

SkyMan

I agree the new coins are too much the same so you have to look at them to see the number and it's only on one side.  When those get worn it will be worse.  I don't really care about the 20s but I think they should have made them more distinguishable from the 50s.  They could do away with the 200s.  I don't get them often and spend them quickly when I do.  They should take the 200 design and make it a 2000.

1 minute ago, jtmwatchbiz said:

I always find it endearing to read of the issues concerning the little people who are forced to indulge themselves in handling things like small bills and coins.   I can't remember the last time I ever carried anything less than 1000p notes.  

They must be confusing me with you when they say, "Keep the change?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Kreole

I commented on this issue when the first coins came out about 2 years ago, and was reprimanded by some member here that there are more important things to complain about.  Well I am not surprised that the issue has come around again, now that members have had the experience of having to turn over every coin to make sure it was a 1, 5 or 10 peso coin.  The utter stupidity of resizing and then using the same finish on the coins again adds to the litany of ill-conceived, impractical and almost useless things this government allows to be done in its name. 

Who are those responsible?  I would like to see a face to those who made the decision.  How were they allowed to do this?  And did not even one person see the problems that would arise?  "If it is not broken, don't fix it."   No doubt, someone saw an opportunity to make some money by selling this bs to some government minister, who also was paid his/her fair share to promote it, etc. etc.  I know that I am a bitch at times, but I accept the contradiction because otherwise I am a really good guy?  ha ha 

Edited by Kreole
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

jtmwatchbiz
15 minutes ago, Kreole said:

I commented on this issue when the first coins came out about 2 years ago, and was reprimanded by some member here that there are more important things to complain about.

and two years later you're still on this?  that member was right. 

if you really want to sink your teeth into something then find out why Jollibee is now restricting customers to only one syrup packet per order of hotcakes.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Bama
37 minutes ago, Kreole said:

Who are those responsible?  I would like to see a face to those who made the decision. 

I understand your frustration---it can be confusing.

I tracked down the guy responsible for the change----not sure how responsive he will be with your concerns.He is pretty busy I'm told.

dut.jpg.e366b0f1c9fe6164839a345087fcda92.jpg

Kabisay-an gid
4 hours ago, Kreole said:

Well I am not surprised that the issue has come around again, now that members have had the experience of having to turn over every coin to make sure it was a 1, 5 or 10 peso coin. 

OMG! When will man's inhumanity to man ever end?! We must demand the government provide safe spaces for all foreigners forced to cope with this incredible injustice!

How many coins must we flip til we know, that too many people have cried? The answer my friend, is blowin' in the wind, the answer is blowin' in the wind!

• Sad 1

HongKongPhooey
9 hours ago, jtmwatchbiz said:

if you really want to sink your teeth into something then find out why Jollibee is now restricting customers to only one syrup packet per order of hotcakes.

Pfff, talk about making a big thing out of nuthin, I carry my own flask of maple syrup because I can adapt and survive. I’m not even Canadian, which means I don’t share.

Mods: I think this post is still on topic because I’m only trying to make cents of it all.

• Like 1

Jawny

I have a simple solution to what some perceive as a problem.  I only use paper money when making a payment.  I couldn’t spot the denomination quickly enough.  Many times in the past, I would just take the coins and place them in my hand and let the cashier pick from the pile what they needed. Worked for me.

Now, I have a much better solution. I save the coins for a year. Every year we have a Christmas party for family and set up Christmas stockings for each person.  In a fun and exciting event at the party, we distribute the stockings which have small gifts and candies and the like.  Even the adults get something.  The coins play a part since by the end of the year, we’ve accumulated hundreds maybe thousands of pesos in coinage.  We spend an hour or so having fun ourselves dividing them into piles.  No real concern about the amount, just try to get an equal amount in each stocking.  

Everyone lives the coins, and if the adults want to give them to their children, fine with us.  It’s a simple way to deal with coins. 

• Like 3

Dafey

I do the same...pull out a handful of coins and let the cashier sift through them. Toss in a couple of US quarters and Thai Baht and it really gets fun! 

• Haha 2

HTM
On 11/28/2019 at 7:43 AM, jtmwatchbiz said:

Smart ass!

"Harry can you pay for the coffee I only have 1000 notes?"

• Haha 4

Kreole

I am glad to see I can still keep some of you entertained here with my bitching about small or insignificant things.  I mean, after all, you did take some of your precious time to read and reply, if only to diminish the validity of the complaint.  Those of you who actually enjoy the banter of invalidating others opinions here only create a hostile environment wherein you must be reprimanded and scolded like little children for being such self righteous picayunys.  Now I am just "bantering' back at you, so don't take it too personally, even if it applies. 

As to the "validity" of the complaint about the coins fiasco, who are you to criticize?  If it happened in your country of origin, I can bet there would be a shit storm of commentary because other countries just won't put up with such incompetence.  The US, for instance, tried to foist the Susan B. Anthony dollar coin on the citizens, along with the $2 bill and, well, that didn't work out too well.  More importantly, to unnecessarily waste critical resources on re-coining when there are so many more important needs of this poor country, seems to me to be a serious matter;  it is not just the inconvenience and the poor design of the coins here, it is that it was just a huge waste of money, time and effort that could have been better used to rebuild infrastructure and a million other more important priorities. 

And please don't try to convince me that the RP actually saves money with the re-coining because that is bs.  The money skimmed off the top of the contracts along with the recalibrations for all the down line users, have to be added to the costs.  Not only were people very accustomed to the original coinage, but it was really well designed and executed.  No one can argue with that.  However, for us partially color blind souls who can't tell the difference in colors between the 100 and 1000 peso notes, well, that is another story.  At least the bills are not all an ugly greenish gray, or made of plastic.  Although, some will claim there is no more beautiful color in the world than a $100 USD.

Edited by Kreole
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

liquido

Being just a guest in this country I would like to ask the ones in the know regarding the 10 centavo and the 5 centavo coins..The ONLY place I have seen these used is the grocery store..I always refuse to accept them when they give me back change..Even the poor do not use them.... 

SkyMan
36 minutes ago, liquido said:

Being just a guest in this country I would like to ask the ones in the know regarding the 10 centavo and the 5 centavo coins..The ONLY place I have seen these used is the grocery store..I always refuse to accept them when they give me back change..Even the poor do not use them.... 

Throw em in a jar and when it's full and convenient take them to the bank and let them count them out.

• Like 1

to_dave007

I keep my coins in the car..  have a small change purses there for that purpose and always empty my coins there.  whenever I must pay a parking change I always pay in 1 peso coins if I can..  and throw in the centavo coins as a bonus..  and if I need to buy pan on the way home.. the 5 and 10 peso coins work fine..  and if I collect too many of them..  I carry the 5's and 10's into the house to give to the boys for their motorcycle to school each day..  10 peso in.. and 10 peso back.

• Like 1