Jester

The Decline of the LinC Forum

Jester

This forum is the only expat forum I have belonged to and  has changed over the years and seems to going flat to downhill in my opinion, a casual web surfer finding it would think it is an American forum talking about things in the US.

Social media such as Face book may be playing a part in this, I know FB specialized RV groups are growing in leaps and bounds while the RV websites are dwindling. 

• Like 5

Woolf
6 minutes ago, Jester said:

This forum is the only expat forum I have belonged to and  has changed over the years and seems to going flat to downhill in my opinion, a casual web surfer finding it would think it is an American forum talking about things in the US.

Totally agree with the above

• Like 3

RogerDuMond
3 hours ago, Jester said:

, a casual web surfer finding it would think it is an American forum talking about things in the US.

Most everything concerning the US is in the hidden forums and not visible to the casual web surfer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Jester
1 hour ago, RogerDuMond said:

Most everything concerning the US is in the hidden forums and not visible to the casual web surfer.

Hmmm,   I do not belong to the hidden forums?  

JamesMusslewhite

Well the hidden forums and a few were removed, mainly allowed discussions on religion, politics, evolution and other controversial topics; which always seem to caused disruptions and banning of members. By moving these topics downstairs allowed a far more thick-skinned exchange between members. Some may argue that it also minimized posting traffic in the upstairs threads. Most of these topics are reliant and would perhaps generate far more site-traffic, but proper level moderation could certainly be troublesome. I moderated the last upstairs forum section where these conversational topic were allowed., and it put me at odds with Paul. He wanted a hammer and I preferred unrestricted speech. The problem for Paul and Admins was too many petty fights and constant thin-skins constantly complaining to Paul. But it sure generated threads and site traffic. I believe having these section in both upstairs and downstairs would be an excellent idea, and just move offensive posts and posters downstairs, and instead of banning a member just use time-restrictions and access to  only certain downstairs sections. Like a forum  version of a serious 'Time Out'. Just seems better to place a nose into the cyber-corner, rather than throwing the baby out with all the bathwater.

• Like 6

Headshot

Hey James. Long time ... no see. There is something I have always wondered about. If you are Emperor of the Moon and Inventor of Atmosphere, then why isn't there an atmosphere on the moon?

:biggrin_01:

• Haha 2

savarity

Most major news sources report heavily on tragedy and 'negative' stories. Negative sells great. The massive Internet forums, with millions of users, are snarky, rude, abusive to new members, and highly negative.

Key is if something is INTERESTING... not just if something is positive or negative.

Too censured, and only positive, would give a whitewashed, fake, feeling.

• Like 2

wondersailor

I think YouTube has a big hand in the decline of forums. Five, ten minutes of visuals, a voyeur's dream, no commitment.

• Like 3

fred42
On 9/17/2019 at 7:28 AM, Headshot said:

Just a guess,but since Don died, it is likely that his website has been closed.

Just checked...That forum is still going and active.

Jack Rat
3 hours ago, wondersailor said:

I think YouTube has a big hand in the decline of forums. Five, ten minutes of visuals, a voyeur's dream, no commitment.

Can't blame You Tube altogether, it's simply the quality of content and attitude of members of any forum that plays a major part of their success or demise! Most regimented type forums have had their day. It seems some members on this forum have also made that clear!

• Like 1

Bama

On 9/18/2019 at 1:11 AM, Jester said:

Hmmm,   I do not belong to the hidden forums?  

Are you sure that you aren't logged into the CR as you ended your post with a question mark?

A quick run though of the 90 odd thread titles showed me only 3 titles with the words US/American in them at all.

That's a little over 3%----a number that I wouldn't find alarming based on the number of American ex-pats in the RP.

On 9/17/2019 at 7:49 PM, Jester said:

Social media such as Face book may be playing a part in this, I know FB specialized RV groups are growing in leaps and bounds while the RV websites are dwindling. 

• Like 3

mikewright

I guess there is a lot more competition for new members out there now, and the newer formats seem to attract more people.  When I first joined LinC it was to  get information about travelling and living in the Philippines.  LinC was a good source of information for both, and entertaining to boot.

Now there are many more sites out there where you can get the same information, and the Facebook format for example probably appeals more to a younger demography. For information about Cebu, one Cebu-based Facebook group I subscribe to has 10,000+ members, and it has a bit of everything, from posts about a yoga community holding a garage sale, to updates on which bands are playing and where. to newbies asking for advice on where to find a kind, sweet girl. As many expat businessmen post there, members are kept up-to-date on what is happening in Cebu. A very active community,  and as most people posting are using their own names, the posts are pretty civil. Usually.

People wanting information about visiting Cebu for the first time would now IMO most likely do their research in sites like Youtube or TripAdvisor, rather than on forums like ours.

The march of progress and changing times, I guess :(.

Edited by mikewright
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

JamesMusslewhite
21 hours ago, Headshot said:

Hey James. Long time ... no see. There is something I have always wondered about. If you are Emperor of the Moon and Inventor of Atmosphere, then why isn't there an atmosphere on the moon?

:biggrin_01:

Now that is funny. I took that from an episode of South Park which poked fun at Al Gore. Some may remember it because of 'Man-Bear Pig', his being always cereal and everyone feeling sorry for Gore because he probably had no friends. In a scene Gore appears before a group in an auditorium, and the announcer  says ''... he is the Emperor of the Moon and Inventor of Atmosphere...''. I was a rather outspoken forum moderator at the time, who understood the 'hypocrisis' (Latin meaning 'play acting) role of 'pretentious lordship', and 'court jester' when trying to spark life into boorish topics to help incite members to contribute. I guess I have never removed it since as it reminds me to never take myself too seriously, and just leave one to their eccentricities. Especially since most I will never actually meet and are merely faceless avatars hidden in the ethereal void of cyberspace. Besides most often their point is, there simply is no point; and tussling with a ghost, at best, merely yields nothing more than just a handful of sheet.    

Yes I rarely post on the forum as of lately, this is because I have been working on this 3-part four-video YouTube series on lobster aquaculture. Each of the three video completed have been around 90 minutes long and required me to create hundreds of diagrams and drawings which is time consuming. I am already working on the voiceover for the and final video of that series, which I hope to have finished by this coming March. And after that I will start working on a website project. So I currently find myself having little time for the forum, but I will try to add new content on some of my long running threads as new information comes available. As to adding new threads? Perhaps when I have more free time. Posting them is easy but having the time to regularly respond to them is currently an issue.      

Now as to your question about the lack of atmosphere on the moon? I like the overlapping theories of an achiest galactic war, a death Star blowing one of our outer planets to little pieces, a Martian War where one side blew-off the Mars atmosphere before fleeing to Earth, the towing of the moon from a distant location and positioning it in it's present location. earthling are really bad bad boys the last time we allowed into space, and then given a really serious time-out. And ever since then the moon has been an observation post for our overlords to keep a really close eye on us, because in the past we proved that playing well with our neighbors is not actually our strong suit. And even if just a little of that is true it would sure explain a lot.  Would that not make for an interesting thread topic, but of course some godless-wanker will inevitably whine like a jilted-schoolgirl at the first mention of religions or texts causing it to be closed, hidden or moved to the dungeons, So why try? :biggrin_01:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

cookie47
23 hours ago, HTM said:

old sour grumpy guys who always have to make negative comments.

Hope that's not me,, Why? do conclude that all those that are old are grumpy, maybe that comment shows part of the problem, Commenting on something at my age is obviously going to be different than someone in their 30s or so..as long as its "cordial" That's life. 

Maybe then the forum should be divided up into age based sub headings, When you exceed a particular age you then get bumped to the next level.. 

The young ones. 

The not so young ones. 

And just breathing. 

Haha,, Seriously.. 

YouTube has become more prevalent in my life. And as Mikewright says, YouTube is more  the "go to" media. Yes you can learn things on linC but as a hands on mechanical person YouTube is more entertaining.. There's heaps on the Philippines, some old, some new, just check the date.. I've been somewhat reluctant to post about Australia/UK as it was pointed out by "someone" can't honestly remember who,, THAT as the name implies linC  is ABOUT living in Cebu,(although there are categories in the forum menu "World news). So I'm somewhat confused.. 

I'm subscribed to a number of YouTube sites. 

Cars (particularly diagnostics) 

Travel

Health

Electrics 

And my favourite, Travelling Robert. 

A Cuban /American travelling around the USA.(and very well done i might add) Probably of no interest to our US members.  Now,,,, Better shut up or the off topic police will get me.. 

• Like 4