SkyMan

Fiber/ethernet install info

SkyMan

So it's been 2 months now since PLDT called me asking if I wanted to upgrade to fiber.  Periodically I call them to see if there is any other information.  I tried a week ago and they'd hosed their system so even they couldn't get into it.  After a week unable to get in I finally got in today so called again.  What I was told is that PLDT is prioritizing Manila and won't convert anywhere else until Manila is done so if you're in Manila and have Ultera you can expect service sometime soon but elsewhere you're screwed.  Apparently they have no service people outside Manila now.  They did say they were trying to phase out Ultera by the end of the year but that sucks.

The worst part is that they are still charging me more for slower bandwidth limited service than their fiber plans.  Ugh.

Paddy

A bit like our local cable company leaving me a leaflet about their services and then, when I say OK, they tell me I’m too far from where their cable ends and would need another 9 new customers for them to do anything...

Chicken and egg...

to_dave007
On 11/20/2019 at 11:07 AM, SkyMan said:

I'm wondering even more about crosstalk and then transmission distance starts to become an issue?  Or not?

Fibre is photons travelling through glass.

Electrical wires is electrons travelling through copper.

To my knowledge you should NOT have a crosstalk issue.  May depend where you terminate the fibre and travel onwards with copper (like CAT 5 or 6 cable)

Woolf
17 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

To my knowledge you should NOT have a crosstalk issue.  May depend where you terminate the fibre and travel onwards with copper (like CAT 5 or 6 cable)

Electrical wires is electrons travelling through copper. Will create a magnetic field that can create crosstalk

Photons do not create magnetic field hence no crosstalk

Paddy

Well, technically (and according to Wikipedia) crosstalk is any phenomenon by which a signal transmitted on one circuit or channel of a transmission system creates an undesired effect in another circuit or channel.
In electrical cables the relevant phenomena are inductive, capacitive or conductive. 
While there may exist the optical equivalents of inductive or capacitive effects, there is a conductive equivalent. If two separate fiber optic strands, carrying different signals, can “see” the light from each other, the optical equivalent of a short circuit, it is plausible that crosstalk can occur. 
Personally, I consider it highly unlikely and I’d be much more interested in studying whether those inductive or capacitive equivalents exist...or not...

SkyMan
5 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

That's what I was referring to.