SkyMan

Fiber/ethernet install info

SkyMan

Looking for info on the technical issues with fiber optic and ethernet cable data installation regarding transmission distance and possible crosstalk issues from power lines.

PLDT is acting like they may be able to hook me up with fiber soon but I have a bit of a unique situation I would like to resolve in advance due to the distances involved.  My current (npi) electrical setup is this:  VECO power comes from the pole to my neighbor's gate post (which is 14ft high as required by VECO) then, via conduit, to the meter and then directly into an electrical box on the post with a breaker.  The box has a 2 inch hole in the back and the power runs into that into a 1.5 inch HDPE pipe which is inside a 2 inch GI pipe.  The pipe goes through the concrete post coming out on top of my neighbor's wall and runs along it until it becomes my wall.  Then it goes down inside the wall, under the driveway, and up into my well pump house which is on the north west corner of my lot.  So, about 60-70 meters wire length to get from the pole to the pump house.  From there it goes back into HDPE pipe and underground to my house.  That distance is less than 60 meters but I used a full 60 meter roll of pipe some of which is now coiled up and attached to the side of the house with copper in it.  When the new house is built in front of the old, we'll just dig a trench and roll the pipe with wires into it and hook up.  

My optimal installation would be for them to run the fiber the same route through all the piping and pump house and to the house.  I know I might have to pay extra for some extra fiber cable and/or connectors or whatever.  And I know there isn't problem with crosstalk between the E and the fiber.  My concern though, is that if they can't or won't go that far, I may need an alternative.  

Second best would be to run fiber to the pump house and use wifi from there to the house.  The pump house is hollow block with a steel door so that might require some kind of antenna outside the pump house?  Or possibly run ethernet from the pump house to the house but I wonder if running the Cat 6 along side the E copper might be a crosstalk problem?  Would I perhaps have to install some kind of noise filter on the VECO power to solve that?

Worst case would be having to terminate the fiber at the pole and run ethernet from there but then I'm wondering even more about crosstalk and then transmission distance starts to become an issue?  Or not?

Any help from networking guys who know the specs here would be helpful.

btw, Pulling anything through the pipes will not be a problem.  When I installed all this also pulled a small nylon cord through and left it tied at the ends for whatever possible future cables.  All we have to do is attach the new cable (and another nylon) and pull through.  So no snaking of the new lines is required.

Goetz1965

Globe installed my fibre by putting the fibre cable the necessary 50m to my appartment. Didnt cost anything extra.
That fibre cable is quite sturdy, I was worried too before the installation but it works fine. Just tell them you want the router inside your house, they usually have enough fibre cable in the truck for those things.

• Like 1

Paddy

Assuming the router needs to be in the house, fibre optic to the house makes sense. Running it through the same path as the power line should not be an issue. It is unlikely that the power line will induce a signal in the fibre. 

If I was running coax, I would be concerned. If CAT6 (which is twisted pair really), I would be less concerned. It’s also a bit expensive to “suck it and see” - especially if any interference is bad. 

Cables with conductors running “side by side” (Eg coax and old-fashioned twin) are probably the most susceptible to induced interference from power lines. 

Twisted pair is supposed to be more resistant. The conductor orientation is expected to self cancel the interference. It doesn’t always work.  

Fibre doesn’t carry an electrical signal (in the same sense) and the properties of fibre that matter are optical not electrical. I consider an induced interference signal, at the right frequency range to generate light, to be unlikely. 

• Like 1

Woolf

Aerial fiber drop cable that I saw PLDT use  looks like shown in picture below

image.png.0f906e854112b66a920508a5bafa0a72.png

I think that it can not be spliced so it has to be 1 length  from the fiber pole box to the fiber router

will they route it through your pipes ?????   I do not think so

SkyMan
8 minutes ago, Woolf said:

Aerial fiber drop cable that I saw PLDT use  looks like shown in picture below

image.png.0f906e854112b66a920508a5bafa0a72.png

I think that it can not be spliced so it has to be 1 length  from the fiber pole box to the fiber router

Maybe they go from that to a regular fiber line that can be spliced?

Woolf

I am pretty sure that this fiber cable goes direct to the modem-router

what I saw is that the shown cable went direct inside the house

sample fiber splicing

• Like 1

cookie47
2 hours ago, Woolf said:

I am pretty sure that this fiber cable goes direct to the modem-router

Correct, via a box. 

Comes from pole, into house, and then terminates to a small 60mm square junction box on wall. I don't "believe" there is any electronic components inside although there is a small wheel where the fiber is wound ( My nephew who works for PLDT assembled it but i wasn't paying attention,,,, but i THINK its "only" a"strain termination point. Then the modem fiber is plugged into the bottom of the" box"and goes to modem.. Whilst I'm on this subject,I moved our modem to a different spot. I discovered that there are two grades of Fiber, the PLDT stuff is rather stiff and very uncooperative if you need to change directions. 

There is a yellow much softer version that is much easier to run.. 

• Like 2

smokey

We have had fiber a few years upgraded a few times they had to give me new router presently have whole house fiber up to 120mb and tv eveloution for nexflix total per month about 5000

Paddy
14 minutes ago, smokey said:

We have had fiber a few years upgraded a few times they had to give me new router presently have whole house fiber up to 120mb and tv eveloution for nexflix total per month about 5000

The recent cable company survey on installing fibre to our place came back “sorry sir, too far. We need at least 10 subscribers to extend”. 
I’m having trouble finding 9 others around me who can afford even half that much!😀

16 hours ago, Woolf said:

I’m thinking the same. The gray coloured wires in that cable are for mechanical support and would be trying to prevent the cable from being bent sharply. 

SkyMan
31 minutes ago, Paddy said:

I’m having trouble finding 9 others around me who can afford even half that much!😀

I know of 2 others.

I think, though, that PLDT is trying to drop support for Ultera and get rid of as many of us as possible.  Might help.

31 minutes ago, Paddy said:

I’m thinking the same. The gray coloured wires in that cable are for mechanical support and would be trying to prevent the cable from being bent sharply. 

That was a concern of mine too but watching the video above I see the fiber being bent sharper than would have to be done at any point in my install.  We'll see what they say if they come.

47 minutes ago, smokey said:

While I would certainly like more speed, my main issue is being limited to so little bandwidth that I have to keep a spreadsheet to track my burn rate so I don't run out before the end of the month or end the month with so much remaining I can't use it up and therefore it's wasted.  For a lot of TV shows and football games I just wait until I go to a resto with free wifi and d/l there.  And this causes me to eat out more than I'd prefer.

Netflix or Gamepass would be a complete waste of money.

Edited by SkyMan

smokey

Well nexflix for me is good and 4 people on one acct.of 615 a month just watched narcos

SkyMan
On 11/21/2019 at 8:47 AM, SkyMan said:

We'll see what they say if they come.

Well, repeated calls only get me a "their doing a feasibility (type) study" so nothing yet.  Except that my Ultera accounts are no longer tracking the bandwidth so it seems I have unlimited now and that's probably most of what I want.  It's now as fast as fiber but it's decent anyway.

image.thumb.png.2fadad4dfb1bf05e04f8a26f428e1b0e.png

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1

Salty Dog

I know how you feel. I'm suppose to get 300Mbps, but rarely do...:rolleyes:

Capture.JPG

MickyG

be careful the speed shown is the internal speed provided by PLDT after giving it artificial boosting the first one is the true speed coining into pldt back bone from taiwan

https://www.google.com/search?q=speedtest&oq=speedtest&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l7.5172j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

the second is PLDT home based speedtest

https://www.speedtest.net/result/8874883004

• Thanks 1

SkyMan

I reran it with an AT&T server in LA and got 11 something so I'm ok with that.

54 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

I know how you feel. I'm suppose to get 300Mbps, but rarely do...:rolleyes:

Capture.JPG

Don't you have a thread title to go change for no reason or something. 

• Haha 1