House columns inside or out?

SkyMan

For anyone who has designed or had a house designed or thought about it or lived in a concrete house here, what was your decision or observed preference on how to place the columns?  Of course there are sometimes limitations on how well you can hide them.  You are almost certainly going to have some exposed. If you have a 10 inch column and 4 or 6 inch walls there is going to be exposed column.  What would be your choice on it?

Centered: Well I would probably not use this except for a property wall being built as a shared project between neighbors but not for a house unless you really like looking at columns.  I can believe it 'might ' produce slightly stronger columns but I don't think it would be significant. To me this would be the worst of both worlds compared to inside or outside in regards to a house. 

Outside:  With the columns outside,  you have nice flat walls inside.  Easier to tile the floors, easier to paint and decorate the walls. You don't have to put your couch or hang your wall mounted TV 6 inches from the wall to accommodate a protruding column.  Less corners to collect dust or bang things into when moving them. 

Inside: With the columns inside you have a better looking house from the outside and you do have a little more living space inside. Careful furniture choices could take advantage of the extra space. 

It seems to me most houses here have them inside but maybe that's due to limitations on lot size or displaying a better looking house for status purposes? 

Any other considerations I'm missing here?

My personal preference after observing exposed columns on the inside of others’ houses (yuck!), was to get our builders to do “flush” walls in the inside. I had to mark every post mind. 😀

This way, our posts are exposed on the outside but not on the inside (with straight walls and no obstructions). 

How you paint the posts on the outside can add to the appeal.

0118379E-3D70-4C98-BD0E-4984130AF8C7.jpeg.51a228741e4734a425703cfceae53d8a.jpeg

• Like 3
SkyMan
6 minutes ago, Paddy said:

My personal preference after observing exposed columns on the inside of others’ houses (yuck!), was to get our builders to do “flush” walls in the inside. I had to mark every post mind. 😀

This way, our posts are exposed on the outside but not on the inside (with straight walls and no obstructions). 

How you paint the posts on the outside can add to the appeal.

0118379E-3D70-4C98-BD0E-4984130AF8C7.jpeg.51a228741e4734a425703cfceae53d8a.jpeg

That looks very nice.  Are you in a potential flood area or is the stilt construction perhaps intended as some earthquake protection?

Headshot

We have talked, and you have been to my home, so you know my preference. I would prefer 4" steel columns and 4" I-beams with steel-reinforced foam-core walls that are plastered to have no visible columns on either the inside or the outside. That way, you get a house that looks like a typical plastered block house, but with insulation and a lot less likelihood of failure during an earthquake. Of course, that wasn't what I got when we added the second floor to our home (because our contractor thought it would look better if the columns continued up from where they were on the first floor and I didn't catch what he was doing until it was too late), but the steel-reinforced foam-core construction would have allowed it.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1

No columns inside nor outside here

steel colums reduced.jpg

• Like 3
2 hours ago, SkyMan said:

That looks very nice.  Are you in a potential flood area or is the stilt construction perhaps intended as some earthquake protection?

Thank you. Neither. We used to have an elevated bamboo kubo on the site and it caught the breezes really nicely. 
The breezes and the view are “features” of the elevated porch. 

Here’s another view

EF6E82B1-EDE2-4FB3-B12F-6C1470D1D2D7.jpeg.c8faeef0a9671a499d8f103a4e1dff13.jpeg

Edited by Paddy
Extra pic
  • Like 5
smokey

Why hide make them flow as my house is on the tall side my collums are huge

For the inside, I prefer the straight walls with no projecting columns. We had an interesting discussion about the exposed, porch columns. I thought they’d look “better” rounded and the crew said “yes, we can do that”. Words like “church”, “temple” etc were used during the discussion. I’m happy with the result. 

5E55F79B-21ED-44F6-8BB4-77A9366C9CC2.jpeg.87c5c6340a96ad6ebb5dd7a6d5af328c.jpeg

Edited by Paddy
Fixing pics
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
SkyMan
3 hours ago, smokey said:

Why hide make them flow as my house is on the tall side my collums are huge

Your columns are quite nice and go well in your house. They're quite fancy but not overly so. I'm talking about the basic square columns that are required for structure but might as well be hidden if possible. 

3 hours ago, Paddy said:

I thought they’d look “better” rounded and the crew said “yes, we can do that”

I'm considering making the 2 deck support columns rounded. In the US you would just buy a cardboard tube the length and diameter you need, like a giant toilet paper roll but I haven't seen that item here. The only 'sort of' round columns I've seen here were made by wrapping a piece of curogated roofing around the rebar cage and then tie wire bands. Is that how they did yours? 

smokey

Well as an italian guess thats the way.  Local style would be bamboo

Capture+_2019-11-20-06-53-24~2.png

Edited by smokey
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, SkyMan said:

. Is that how they did yours? 

No. The columns were poured square (with forms) and then parged round by hand. One of the crew was obviously an artist and had a good eye. He did the first one. The other guys simply copied his technique. 

They’re not perfectly identical but you have to look closely (or with a tape) to see the differences. 

5 hours ago, fred42 said:

When in the Philippines,do what the Romans do!

And the Greeks, Ionians etc 😀

• Like 1