One of the downsides of brownouts...

Paddy

One of the problems with living in Masbate is the frequent, long brownouts. We had a long one yesterday. The result was missing all the fun in the “you know who” topic after HTM made his post. It took me ages this morning to figure out who said what and why!😀

I’m not advocating not hiding posts, but it does make it difficult to catch up. 

mikewright

Not sure if it is still available, but there used to be a setting where all replies went to your email address. So if some replies were deleted or hidden, you could still read them when you had internet connection again, even if they had been deleted.

BossHog

We had a 23-day brown-out about ten years ago. Someone got a bit careless while dynamite fishing and blew up a submarine cable (oops).

Not sure if it's an up or downside but we had to eat the contents of two deep freezers. The neighbors were happy with the daily bbq, lol.

Upsides were getting disconnected and reading a book a day and setting up the telescope after sunset. With no ambient light, the stargazing was phenomenal.

Nine months later the local health center had to deal with a major baby boom resulting from a lack of evening TV and people resorting to old-fashioned nocturnal diversions.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5
1 hour ago, mikewright said:

Not sure if it is still available, but there used to be a setting where all replies went to your email address. So if some replies were deleted or hidden, you could still read them when you had internet connection again, even if they had been deleted.

I remember having this before. I’m not sure the “you’ve got spam” feeling is preferable!😀

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, BossHog said:

23-day brown-out

Not quite THAT bad 😀

Ive been tracking our brownouts since July. On average, MASELCO lose 3 days revenue per month. So roughly 90% on, 10% off with an average uptime something less than 24 hours. 

• Like 1
mikewright
11 minutes ago, Paddy said:

I remember having this before. I’m not sure the “you’ve got spam” feeling is preferable!😀

I found it a great help in reminding me why not to post after the first bottle of wine ☺️.

Edited by mikewright
smiley
  • Like 1
Headshot
30 minutes ago, Goetz1965 said:

What's a Brownout?

A blackout, only in the Philippines.

• Like 1
bounder
3 minutes ago, Headshot said:

A blackout, only in the Philippines.

Part of the perks of living here.....why keep life boring and predictable?

We are about to “benefit” from a new power plant. Nov 22 is the official start date. This week’s brownouts are being brought to us by the grace of the new plant’s start up activities. 
3E5C4B67-B1CB-483B-A30C-65B82342BAF9.thumb.jpeg.a5966f5a00e499e6a6e5c37bc2ac1dda.jpeg

The new plant is coal fired (and fortunately near the water - I hope they have a coal jetty!). It’s a 15MW plant which is supposed to allow the existing 2x12.2MW diesel generators to become backups - I’m not sure how THAT is supposed to work. We shall see. 

The residents around the new plant are already complaining about the noise and emissions. Can’t say I’ve noticed anything unusual but then I only ever drive past it at a distance. We shall see 😀

Im sure we’ll go back to repeated tripping of closers on F3 for next week’s brownouts and the closers will behave this week. 

SkyMan
1 hour ago, Goetz1965 said:

What's a Brownout?

A brownout is an attempt to keep an overstressed grid up without a blackout by reducing the voltage.  Lights go dim, brown.  It's very bad for the lifespan of compressors (AC and refs).  It's really not a very good technique.

What they call brownouts here are really blackouts and I refer to them as such.

11 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

What they call brownouts here are really blackouts and I refer to them as such.

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Goetz1965 said:

What's a Brownout?

Usually the result of incompetence, bad planning, cheap sh*t hardware and the practice of spaghetti wiring.....

We had 190 brownouts in 3 months here in a brand new subdivision- only fixed last month  - 2km from Fuente ..... for all of the reasons above.

1 minute ago, GBT62 said:

We had 190 brownouts in 3 months

Heaven!! We had 105 in August alone!! You could hardly call our area a new subdivision though 😀

7 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Heaven!! We had 105 in August alone!! You could hardly call our area a new subdivision though 😀

well yeah - ours were heavily skewed to the third month - it was 121 in a month :)   As more people moved into the subdivision after 8.8 (some superstition meant they all got their houses blessed on 8.8 and mostly moved in from then) the single, little, temporary transformer simply couldn't handle much...