HTM

Closing Threads

HTM

I think all closing of thread her maybe is one of the reason that we don't have so many active users and new ones.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

JohnSurrey
13 hours ago, HTM said:

I think all closing of thread her maybe is one of the reason that we don't have so many active users and new ones.

Well said HTM...

It demonstrates one of the underlying problems with the "open" forum...

The forum is composed mostly of, I'm guessing here, guys over the age of 45 who often end up being patronized, either knowingly or unknowingly by those forum members in the know who have a tendency to behave like "mummy and daddy" towards the forum members who are not in the know... throw in the "no bad language or name calling unless your in the CR (normally occupied by members in the know?) and then you realize a) you don't really belong and b) why the mods are so busy!

Salty Dog

Very few threads are closed by staff. Most closed by staff are when the OP ask to have it close. Even then, we don't always close them.

Ninety-nine percent are closed by the forum software because they haven't had a post in the past 6 months.

If a member has a problem with a thread being closed. All they have to do is ask a staff member about it.

If it's an old thread, they will usually open it or ask you to start a new one so it will be more recent.

40 minutes ago, JohnSurrey said:

Well said HTM...

It demonstrates one of the underlying problems with the "open" forum...

The forum is composed mostly of, I'm guessing here, guys over the age of 45 who often end up being patronized, either knowingly or unknowingly by those forum members in the know who have a tendency to behave like "mummy and daddy" towards the forum members who are not in the know... throw in the "no bad language or name calling unless your in the CR (normally occupied by members in the know?) and then you realize a) you don't really belong and b) why the mods are so busy!

As for who knows what about what. There are hundreds of threads. No one can possibly know all the answers and the history about each topic.

You seem to have something on your mind, but I'm not sure exactly what you're getting at.

40 minutes ago, JohnSurrey said:

...those forum members in the know who have a tendency to behave like "mummy and daddy"...

...then you realize a) you don't really belong and b) why the mods are so busy!

Why don't you just come out and say what you're thinking.

Better yet. If you have a problem with the forum, why not give us a possible solution.

• Like 5

HTM
58 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

You seem to have something on your mind, but I'm not sure exactly what you're getting at.

I mostly thinking of the "automatic closing", I don't c one good reason for that!
Especially for new members it is much easier to comment  in an old  thread, then start a new. 

This "automatic closing" was in my opinion maybe the most stupid decision ever made here.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

RedRanger
6 hours ago, HTM said:

I mostly thinking of the "automatic closing", I don't c one good reason for that!
Especially for new members it is much easier to comment  in an old  thread, then start a new. 

This "automatic closing" was in my opinion maybe the most stupid decision ever made here.

I did notice a lot of threads that were closed in many sections, I had no clue it was automatic, It makes this forum look like a ghost town. Like this section here every thread is locked, except this one.

I will agree "automatic closing" is a stupid decision

HTM
3 minutes ago, RedRanger said:

I did notice a lot of threads that were closed in many sections, I had no clue it was automatic, It makes this forum look like a ghost town. Like this section here every thread is locked, except this one.

I will agree "automatic closing" is a stupid decision

Yes so its not the moderators doing this, its something the earlier owner of the forum decided.   After that the activity and new members go down.  

• Thanks 1

RedRanger
1 minute ago, HTM said:

Yes so its not the moderators doing this, its something the earlier owner of the forum decided.   After that the activity and new members go down.  

For sure it keeps away new member, and I also think it keeps other from posting since they figure the threads will all be locked.  

• Like 1

Jawny

I have no issue with closing older threads with no postings over an extended period.  I realize a new member may want to make a post in the thread, but realistically, things change so frequently that even six months later it’s probably best to begin again.  Also, new members don’t really seem to want to use the archives (closed threads for the most part). It’s more common for a new member to want to ask questions with the latest up to date info.  

A for instance is the member planning a move here in 2021 and wants info about schools.  It’s a common topic and has many LinC members who love to use the opportunity to boast about the school(s) their children attend.  This new member made reference to reading the archives and ask for more recent info.

I don’t see how the closing of older threads has lead to a membership decline.  

• Like 2

RedRanger
21 hours ago, HTM said:

I have noticed one mod who gets on here and used the "F" word a lot and makes this forum look bad to outsider and potential advertisers on this board.

A moderator on any board should be able to portray a level head and even keel, foul language in the open forum makes any forum looks trashy 

• Confused 2

RedRanger
4 minutes ago, Jawny said:

I don’t see how the closing of older threads has lead to a membership decline.  

Because it makes this place look like a ghost town, there are so many section here that have all closed threads in them. For me I was thinking the whole section is closed and you couldn't post in them. 

For example this thread is the only non locked thread in this whole section, I have been a member here since 2007 and even though I don't post a lot I wasn't aware you could start a thread in a section where every single post was locked.

hyaku

Maybe we can have a snowflake mode for those that don't like naughty words?

• Haha 5

SkyMan
6 hours ago, HTM said:

I consider it a good idea.  If a thread hasn't been active for 6 months, how relevant is it in regards to discussion material?  Useful for  info of course which is why it is still there.  As Salty said, if there is something you have a burning desire to add to an old topic, you can certainly ask for it to be unlocked unless it was closed for cause.  And if you're too shy to ask a mod, you start a new topic with a link to the old, in fact, you can link to a particular reply or even better, quote it.  

One modus of some trolls is to dredge up old topics to add some drivel only to get reactions from those that may have posted in the thread before.  Locking topics prevents that.

As for turning away new membership because topics get autolocked after 6 months, really?  Do people really care about it?  "I was going to join that forum but they lock topics that have been dead 6 months so I said, no way."

• Like 2

HTM
2 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

I consider it a good idea.  If a thread hasn't been active for 6 months, how relevant is it in regards to discussion material?  Useful for  info of course which is why it is still there.  As Salty said, if there is something you have a burning desire to add to an old topic, you can certainly ask for it to be unlocked unless it was closed for cause.  And if you're too shy to ask a mod, you start a new topic with a link to the old, in fact, you can link to a particular reply or even better, quote it.  

One modus of some trolls is to dredge up old topics to add some drivel only to get reactions from those that may have posted in the thread before.  Locking topics prevents that.

As for turning away new membership because topics get autolocked after 6 months, really?  Do people really care about it?  "I was going to join that forum but they lock topics that have been dead 6 months so I said, no way."

Its relevant for maybe new member was not here a year ago, and also relevant for new tings happen all the time and maybe its according to old post in that thread.  And for ME I dont have a problem, easy for ME to get it open.  Your reply proven exactly what I saying, you need to know and understand the forum to do this= we dont want new members. The attitude of some of us old member also get new members to f.. of!  like "we already explain that before search!" instead of  helping them whit an answer and give a link to an old thread, but that maybe already locked.... Then the next is to tell him start a new...
The tread that bn locket by a moderator is something totally different.

SkyMan
6 minutes ago, HTM said:

get new members to f.. of!  like "we already explain that before search!" instead of  helping them

Do you see replies like this on this forum?  Ever?  I don't read every thread but if I saw this I'd report it and I don't think it would happen again.  The closest I think I've seen to that is "I think there was a discussion on this a while back."  And then the member posting that usually  comes back with a link to the old thread and some helpful info.  Where do you see this happening on LinC?  Maybe you're thinking of some other forum.

• Like 1

HTM
6 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Do you see replies like this on this forum?  Ever?

yes!