lv2play

Crowne Aircon

lv2play

Hi, i need to buy a new split type aircon , i don’t want an inverter ( because of gecko problems and expensive repair costs ) type so my choices are limited.

now i found a reasonable priced CROWNE airrcon.

it’s been sold by  Cebu appliance center ( 4 shops), these guys are in the business a long time and it looks like their own brand, i can’t find it anywhere else. I know that they sell this brand for a very long time, it’s reasonable priced and they must have sold lots of them over the years in Cebu. The strange thing about it that there is (or incan’t find it) , no/limited  info other then from Cebu appliances, also i can’ t find any reviews ( good or bad ) also they  look like having a serious costumer service.

i just wonder if any of you have experience with CROWNE aircons or heard any good or bad stories.

To be honest , after staying in so many hotelrooms i hardly believe there are very bad low budget, split-type non-inverter aircons.

i will use it in my bedroom and beside maintenance and cleaning it will only be operated with a remote control

with greetings on this another hot day 🌞

SkyMan
24 minutes ago, lv2play said:

look like having a serious costumer service.

Serious good or serious bad?

Maybe they could give you a list of previous customers but likely they would only give you those that haven't had problems.  Maybe talk to their repair guys?

Paddy

If you get a chance to look closely at the labels on the units they might tell you who actually manufactured it (of course inside the store, you’ll likely only see the indoor unit out of the box). 

Our units are Samsung and they actually look quite similar - especially the outdoor unit (ours have a hard plastic case rather than enamelled metal). Samsung are a few k more expensive perhaps. 

The store says it’s been in business for over 40 years and it looks like they respond to online questions in a timely manner. What could possibly go wrong? 😀

• Haha 1

lv2play
21 hours ago, SkyMan said:

Maybe they could give you a list of previous customers but likely they would only give you those that haven't had problems.  Maybe talk to their repair guys?

20 hours ago, Paddy said:

The store says it’s been in business for over 40 years and it looks like they respond to online questions in a timely manner. What could possibly go wrong? 😀

Guess i have to visit them and have a chat, the internet is all over with people complaining about everything, once it’s there you can find it but about Crowne there is nothing.

i think i bought there (in colon) a panasonic airon  before but am not sure, with branches elsewhere i will not go by car to Colon now.

Crowne is made in China but what or which brand is not made in China, most important is that it’s not made in Philippines.

20 hours ago, Paddy said:

Nothing Right? 😂😂😂😂😂

Davaoeno

I just replaced the aircon in my office. I chose a 1.5 hp inverter model . The store had 2 brands available- Samsung and LG.  The LG cost 5K more . I asked the store people for their recommendation and they told me that the 2 brands were essentially the same in performance and reliability .  I bought the Samsung and took the receipt home.  When I got home I Googled the Samsung model that I had bought . Out of 10 reviews all 10 people gave it the lowest possible rating. Those ratings were from the Philippines, the US and Europe .  I went back to the store and cancelled my order and paid 5K more to get the LG .  The store told me that the salesperson would  be charged 300 pesos documentation fee for the cancelled order. I told them not to worry I would pay the 300 pesos - which I did .            

Btw- I did not Google the reliability of any other Samsung air con models. I own 2 Samsung tvs and several Samsung cel phones- all of which I am happy with. So please do not generalize about the Samsung brand. 

• Thanks 1

HTM
22 hours ago, lv2play said:

look like having a serious costumer service

Yes, I used them for years. But newer tested Crowne.

lv2play

Right, i have a lot of samsung too but i do try to read reviews of whatever i buy and was shocked about the reviews of Samsung’s aircons

Paddy

In Masbate, unless you are prepared to go off-island to buy, you take what you can get. Our two units have been running about 1 year now. They’re inverter, quiet (both inside and out) and they do a nice job of cooling. They’re quite quick to cool the rooms down when returning after a day out (with them shut down) and they seem to maintain temperature quite “easily”. One year is not enough time to comment on maintenance issues and reliability - but we haven’t called anyone in yet.  So far, they have survived MASELCO’s on/off/on/off power management system. 

4B88222F-D368-4D66-B3B1-75F43DACED76.jpeg.11772acd3d07e1aa9096fa7c17ed273f.jpeg

This is the outside unit label. 

If I had had a choice between Samsung and LG, I might very well have gone for LG. I’ve used LG appliances (not aircon) before and been very happy with them. I’ve also used Samsung appliances (not aircon) and had only 1 “niggle”. After several years of being installed above the stove, the touchpad wiring connectors of a microwave/exhaust fan were susceptible to grease contamination which caused the controls to not function properly. I soon learned how to clean them!

• Like 1

Ozepete

Ten years ago we put five window type Crowns from Cebu appliance into our house in Panalipan and they have been fine, worked without fault although a bit noisy. 

Here in Oz you can buy a 'brand name split air-con endorsed by a test cricket legend, or you can pay less than half for a no name brand and believe me the only difference is the price. We put six 'no name splits in our home when we built here in Oz in 2014 and not one problem. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Woolf
8 minutes ago, Ozepete said:

Here in Oz you can buy a 'brand name split air-con endorsed by a test cricket legend, or you can pay less than half for a no name brand and believe me the only difference is the price. We put six 'no name splits in our home when we built here in Oz in 2014 and not one problem. 

and even if you had to replaces 1  or even 2 you would still have saved

• Like 2

samatm

Bought a Samsung  split inverter for our office 1.5 because it had WiFi control.. meaning we could control the temp of the office girls whether we were in Cebu or Texas.. The app works great with occasional reset issues.. but the unit not so well.  Seems it needs regular cleaning like about once a month in order to operate up to par...  If you don't clean it regularly it starts dripping buckets... Literally.

Paddy
19 minutes ago, samatm said:

Seems it needs regular cleaning like about once a month in order to operate up to par...  If you don't clean it regularly it starts dripping buckets... Literally.

Not an issue with ours - but we’re out in the sticks with little dust. Also, whether it makes any difference I don’t know, ours were installed with 1/2 inch blue pipe drains (in the bundle) from inside to out. I occasionally see regular dripping from the drains but nothing I would consider excessive. The installer was pretty anal about getting good slope on the blue pipe too. 

Edited by Paddy
Additional
  • Like 1

cookie47

Reading reviews is problematic in my view and sometimes add to the confusion on what to purchase. I wanted to purchase something on Amazon.. 220 reviews, After reading ALL i was left in a total state of confusion. NOW

When lookin for a new Aircon for our newly built home in Cebu (and on a tight budget) We trawled the shops till my feet fell off. I had also got advice from this forum and was mainly recommended main stream names (NO  problem with that). 

Whilst looking in SM my wife spied a 1.5 split system for p22,000 plus 700 fitting. 

American Home Brand, Never heard of it, but my guess  made in China. (what isn't).. 

We took a chance and bought it. 

Very quiet... More cooling features than i will ever need.. Although we do use the timer. 

Now 18 months on,,,,," yes" it did have one issue after 5 months (some sensor wasn't clipped to correct spot) Temperature kept fluctuating .,"BUT the SM service contractor was out the next day after Phoning. Up to this point its as cold as, So what am i saying. Reviews and recommendations are fine and well intended and theres nothing wrong with that,,,,,Will mine last 10 years, dunno, but

Lifes a gamble (I'm 72)

• Like 3

SkyMan
8 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

Reading reviews is problematic in my view and sometimes add to the confusion on what to purchase. I wanted to purchase something on Amazon.. 220 reviews, After reading ALL i was left in a total state of confusion.

Yeah, you have to take reviews with a grain of salt.  People with problems are more likely to complain than those good experiences or just, not bad experiences.  And then you have to wonder sometimes if good reviews were placed by the company itself or people who work for them or been paid to place them.  If you can find out the number of units sold and compare that to the number of bad reviews, that can be a more reliable indicator.

28 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Not an issue with ours - but we’re out in the sticks with little dust.

Definitely a factor, still, you probably want to have them cleaned about every 6 months or so.

• Like 2

Ozepete

Actually air conditioners have it easy in the Philippines where they work very well.  Moderate high ambient but more importantly, high humidity allows them to work very efficiency.  (High humidity greatly improves the condensers ability to dispose of heat)

The main issue with splits is to make sure the installer evacuates the indoor section and pipe run BEFORE opening the two service valves.  If they don't have a vac pump, find another installer!

• Like 2