Schools in Cebu area

to_dave007
On 11/18/2019 at 6:19 PM, Headshot said:

Is the Philippine National High School in Argao a boarding school? I have a hard time understanding why they would locate such a school so far away from population centers? Certainly, the students wouldn't be locals to the Argao area.

@Headshot My son and I travelled to Argao yesterday to the Philippine Science High School.  It's highly likely we will submit an application for him to attend there next year.. He is in Year 6 now. They will have accept 120 students into Grade 7 for next year (up from 90 in previous years).  Already have 200+ applications with application deadline in about 20 days.

Looks like 30 to 1 student teacher ratio.

Very impressive place..  larger than I expected.  lots of security... perimeter fence ..  I would estimate some 500 students, most of whom stay in the dormitories there.    It's on a hill top about 3km outside of Argao..  so even MORE isolated than your question above suggests. And I was informed that the isolation is somewhat intentional.  to separate the kids from outside life..  and help them focus on their studies.

This particular school draws from Region VII.  So that includes Bohol, Negros Oriental, Siquijor, Bantayan, Camotes, as well as Cebu Island.  It rained a lot yesterday and it was a very unpleasent 4 hour drive for me to get there, and then again to get back.  And I am happy for that as it really drove home to me the fact that this is a boarding school, with many of the students staying there for months between visits home to their families.  It's simply not practical for students to travel home friday after class and back sunday before curfew (strictly enforced) for the majority of students.

The curriculum is NOT based on the DepEd curiculum, but has been created specifically for the PSHS schools. It's a tough and advanced curiculum, every bit as good as you might hope for for a high school that will graduate students directoly into leading universities both inside and outside the Philippines. 

The resources at the school are also impressive..  dedicated and well equipped physics, chemistry and biology classrooms and ICT facilities.  impressive 3D printing facilities as part of their "MakerLab" entrepreneuship program.  Library..  Gymnasium..  Health office. Guidance office..  Basketball, Badminsyomn, Table tennis.  Canteen. 

Free tuition regardless of income level PLUS they provide a monthly stipend to each student that is based on income level, with the poorest students getting  4,000 a month.  reduding to 3,500, 1,500 and 500 peso a month for the less needy.   And the aditional fees they do charge are very nominal amounts..  20 a month for electrical..  500/year for PTA, and so on.

The students also were impressive.. None of the loud boisterous beheviour that one normally sees in schoiols out here in the province.  Lots of students head down and focussed in their work. 

The overall impression is that it's a safe, isolated, well equipped and serious school for serious students with goals in their lives. 

PS..  and by the way..  my son left the school VERY enthusiastic about attending there.  We'll see if he still feels that way when we have to make final committments.

PPS.. The school will be holding a SciMath contest for Grade 6 students at Robinsons Galleria on November 4 as part of their recruiting drive. 

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RangerUp

• to_dave007

• Headshot

• foreverlost

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

location and cost was a factor for us as well.  we chose Philippine Sower Christian School which sounds like a mouthful of religious zeal but really isn't.  it's a smallish private school on a private

It really depends on what education you want for your children as to what school is best. At CIS and CIE, your children will be taught only in English, and they will not be taught the local languages.

Don't confuse the National Science High School, or which there are a number in Cebu Province, and the Philippine Science High School (just 1 in Cebu). The Philippine Science High Schools are run

to_dave007
On 11/27/2019 at 8:59 AM, Maldita23 said:

You may also check out Paref Southdale (Mixed boys and girls) , Paref Southcrest (Girls only), Paref Springdale (Boys only). 

I toured the Springdale school..  at the time I had met one of the teachers who was coaching a robotics team at a WRO (world robotics organization) exhibition event at Lapu Lapu hoops Dome... so robotics was on our mind as he toured me through the school.   was impressed that they had set aside a classroom of maybe 18 square meters JUST for the robotics lab..  with at least $5,000 worth of robotics kits.  

1 hour ago, to_dave007 said:

I toured the Springdale school..  at the time I had met one of the teachers who was coaching a robotics team at a WRO (world robotics organization) exhibition event at Lapu Lapu hoops Dome... so robotics was on our mind as he toured me through the school.   was impressed that they had set aside a classroom of maybe 18 square meters JUST for the robotics lab..  with at least $5,000 worth of robotics kits.  

Are the robotics only electrical or are some portions pneumatic? I was a regional sales mgr in Illinois for SMC (local branch https://www.shoketsu-smc.com.ph). We donated products and expertise (designers like myself volunteered? to lend assistance) to high schools and colleges. Also participated as a sponsor for a Battle Bots team.

School might consider contacting the local office for donations.

to_dave007
2 hours ago, lamoe said:

Are the robotics only electrical or are some portions pneumatic? I was a regional sales mgr in Illinois for SMC (local branch https://www.shoketsu-smc.com.ph). We donated products and expertise (designers like myself volunteered? to lend assistance) to high schools and colleges. Also participated as a sponsor for a Battle Bots team.

School might consider contacting the local office for donations.

The robotic stuff at Springdale was I believe strictly based on WRO competition requirements..  which is based upon a robotics kit (and extension kit) available from Lego (not your regular store bought stuff).  No pneumatics (that may change as I THINK Lego may include it in later versions)..  but several types of sensors (light, color, proximity, limit switch and couple more) and actuators (lights, sounds, motor, stepper)..  and a graphic block programable controller (similar to arduino..  but with built in block program language)).  At competition time the robotics are fully automated..  no tether.

Imagine two fully autonomous robots on competing teams trying to score a goal with a ball on a prepared table top, and prevent the opponent from scoring (university level), or imagine a fully autonomous robot picking up several lego pieces and putting them down on the correct colour square as fast as possible (elementary level).

LOTS of math and science and creativity involved to get it done.

Elementary school winners at Lapu Lapu was a Swiss team of 3 kids (age 10 to 12). I think 14 countries had teams there..  with quite a few from around PI as well.

The following video is elementary school level I think (also at Lapu Lapu Hoops Dome). Pretty good to see this level of capability at elementary school.

• Thanks 1