foreverlost

Schools in Cebu area

RangerUp
10 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

Yes..  they have residence or dormitory. 

Seems a little strange for a high-school

to_dave007
Just now, RangerUp said:

Seems a little strange for a high-school

Not so to me.  Boarding schools have been in many countries for quite a while.  My second wife was in boarding school in Taiwan.  My Canadian friend here in Tuburan was in boarding school as a child (in UK and Uganda).  Lots in UK going back many years.  And remember it's a VERY specialized high school that was designed to draw the very best science/math students from the whole province.  Just not the way we were raised. 

Boarding schools had a bit of a bad name in Canada because of all the abuse issues surrounding the residential school program that for decades took native kids from their families.  But that's not the experience at all boarding schools.

8 hours ago, Headshot said:

Just looking at them on the Internet, it appears like every national science high school has their own admission requirements, and they all appear to be different.

Did you check out those sample exam questions.. Not trivial for a grade 6 student.

RangerUp
12 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

And remember it's a VERY specialized high school that was designed to draw the very best science/math students from the whole province. 

Yeah it's definitely interesting.

I'd be curious as to where the graduates go, compared to the National Science high-schools. Like if they all end up in the same Universities then it's just a question of do you want your 6th grader living in a dormitory with other kids, or at home with the family.

jtmwatchbiz
On 11/17/2019 at 3:06 PM, foreverlost said:

We'll probably  choose to live near the school we choose so I'm starting research now for schools even though we won't be moving until 2021.

The cost of the school is a factor but almost any cost can be worked out with my budget if I plan for it. Academic rigor and excellence would be my primary requirement. I don't want what is referred to as an entertainment school where the kids spend a lot of time practicing, planning, rehearsing various musical and cultural and holiday events. I want a focus on academics.

location and cost was a factor for us as well.  we chose Philippine Sower Christian School which sounds like a mouthful of religious zeal but really isn't.  it's a smallish private school on a private residential road here in uptown capitol area that is both economical and excellent as far as English speaking in classrooms and focus on academics rather than singing and dancing.   plenty of housing available in the neighborhood for you to settle in as well.  

it's a very secure and tightly run school so take a look at it next time you're in town.  you can PM me for further info if needed as we can suggest places to live close by too.

edit:  I failed to mention that the grades handled by this school are pre-k up to 6th grade which should fit your age bracket just fine.  

Edited by jtmwatchbiz
  • Like 2

foreverlost
16 hours ago, Headshot said:

RangerUp is right about the National Science High Schools being top notch. Unfortunately, entrance is by exam only, and the success rate for getting accepted is quite low. A student has to score very high on their entrance exam to get accepted. Also, your kids are many years away from being eligible.

Woodridge "International" School and Bright Academy are located in Banilad, basically across the street from each other, and both have small, single-building campuses. The daughter of a friend of ours used to go to Woodridge, but transferred to a Montessori school a couple of years ago because Woodridge wasn't meeting their needs. I don't know what the specific problem was, but the daughter was way behind when she was transferred. Those schools were off my radar pretty quickly when we were searching for good schools, so I didn't know they were totally non-religious (as in no prayers, no nothing).

There are many schools here that are not connected directly to any religion, but few that don't still participate in religious ceremonies. For instance, even the public schools here have first communions (often right at the schools), and children receive religious instruction, and they participate in Sinulog (which is a Catholic celebration), even though they are supposedly secular.

Our 4 year old goes to a Montessori currently - I think they are great for  young kids. I'd be happy to find a few good Montessori schools in Cebu for pre-k and Kindergarten at least. Do you know of any good Montessori schools?

TheMatrix

A year ago, when we were considering moving back to Cebu with our two little ones, we visited several of the top schools in Cebu with the highest standards.  We would send our kids to either Singapore School (in Manduaue near Cebu Doctor's University), or CIS (Cebu International School).  Both are expensive. 

• Like 1

Davaoeno
3 minutes ago, TheMatrix said:

Both are expensive. 

at least you have that consolation ! 

• Haha 1

Headshot
1 hour ago, foreverlost said:

Our 4 year old goes to a Montessori currently - I think they are great for  young kids. I'd be happy to find a few good Montessori schools in Cebu for pre-k and Kindergarten at least. Do you know of any good Montessori schools?

There are several Montessori schools in the Cebu metro area. Just Google it, if you want to know how many. One of them (Children's Paradise Montessori School) is located right across the street from Ateneo de Cebu in Mandaue. Most Montessori schools here are very small, but the one near Ateneo at least has enough land to have some outdoor facilities for the kids. We checked it out when we were looking at different schools, but we chose Ateneo because of its great reputation among our friends. Montessori schools have such small student populations, that is unlikely that most people even know about them. The tuition at the Montessori school across from Ateneo is about the same as the tuition at Ateneo (tuition is dependent on grade level but we pay about 80k per year for third grade). If you want a Montessori experience for your kids, then by all means, don't choose a regular school here. Maria Montessori International School in Talamban is the top-rated Montessori school in the area. There should be a Montessori school here (maybe several) that will meet your needs. This map will give you an idea of what is available in the Cebu metro area...

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&tbm=lcl&ei=F1_TXcTpKJKUmAWq6LWIBQ&q=montessori+school+in+cebu&oq=montessori+school+in+cebu&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0l2j0i22i30k1l7j38.85737.87075.0.98896.4.4.0.0.0.0.122.461.0j4.4.0....0...1c..64.psy-ab..0.4.461....0.OX8DBazpi_8#rlfi=hd:;si:;mv:[[10.385758664287952,123.97582556345219],[10.286121971096346,123.83832480051274],null,[10.335944267724434,123.90707518198246],13]

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1

RangerUp
30 minutes ago, Headshot said:

There are several Montessori schools in the Cebu metro area. Just Google it, if you want to know how many.

Some of them are pre-school only

Headshot

The ones I mentioned are at least pre-school to sixth grade.

RangerUp
8 hours ago, Headshot said:

The ones I mentioned are at least pre-school to sixth grade.

Yeah but the google results you linked show all

nixon1972

This is an answer to the original post about international schools (CIE vs CIS) before it veered off to the National Science tangent.    I sent my kids to CIE with the oldest one graduating from high school there.  Overall we were very pleased and it provided a solid education for a very low price.   The social scene was great too as they made lots of good friends that we really liked.  My older son graduated in 2017 and will graduate next year from University in Australia (we are actually American).    He was very well prepared for University so high marks to CIE for that.    In addition, the owner of CIE is a super lady and always willing to help if you have any questions which I often did.     The only negative I would bring to your attention is while the program is Cambridge certified the high school diploma only results in a "GSCE" diploma rather than "A Levels".    This was not explained at registration time.  When he graduated and then applied to some of the better universities in Australia, UK ,etc. they excluded him because he did not have his "A Levels".   I was not aware of the difference being from the US.  These universities were ok to accept him as long as he did a one year pre-university course, which we opted not to do.   Later after speaking to the owner about this she explained had he spent one more year in high school at CIE then he would have knocked out the "A Levels".    Again, really a combo of me not knowing at the beginning and the school relying on "Cambridge" for marketing without the school staff understanding the GSCE v A Level.    I would still send the kids there if I had to do it over again.   I hope this helps.

• Like 1

to_dave007
59 minutes ago, nixon1972 said:

This is an answer to the original post about international schools (CIE vs CIS) before it veered off to the National Science tangent.    I sent my kids to CIE with the oldest one graduating from high school there.  Overall we were very pleased and it provided a solid education for a very low price.   The social scene was great too as they made lots of good friends that we really liked.  My older son graduated in 2017 and will graduate next year from University in Australia (we are actually American).    He was very well prepared for University so high marks to CIE for that.    In addition, the owner of CIE is a super lady and always willing to help if you have any questions which I often did.     The only negative I would bring to your attention is while the program is Cambridge certified the high school diploma only results in a "GSCE" diploma rather than "A Levels".    This was not explained at registration time.  When he graduated and then applied to some of the better universities in Australia, UK ,etc. they excluded him because he did not have his "A Levels".   I was not aware of the difference being from the US.  These universities were ok to accept him as long as he did a one year pre-university course, which we opted not to do.   Later after speaking to the owner about this she explained had he spent one more year in high school at CIE then he would have knocked out the "A Levels".    Again, really a combo of me not knowing at the beginning and the school relying on "Cambridge" for marketing without the school staff understanding the GSCE v A Level.    I would still send the kids there if I had to do it over again.   I hope this helps.

When your kids FIRST JOINED the CIE school, what grades were they in, and where had they been in school previously.  How did their first 1 or 2 years go?

nixon1972

When they first joined CIE they were in grade 6 and grade 10 (ages 11 and 15).   They had been to school in Phuket (2 years) and Honolulu the other years.   Their first 1 or 2 years were great.  If your kids are a lot  younger than mine and just starting I did notice in my son's graduating class most of the kids knew each other from early grades.    I took this as a good sign as most families started out when the kids were young and they stayed the whole 10 grades or so at CIE.   The families all seem to be well to do local families as there were just a few foreigners like us but my kids we accepted immediately.     The families were all locally rooted there so I did not get the impression that there were lots of kids coming and going for just one or two years.

• Like 1

Maldita23

You may also check out Paref Southdale (Mixed boys and girls) , Paref Southcrest (Girls only), Paref Springdale (Boys only).