SkyMan

Wireless (inductive) charging FYI

SkyMan

Higher end phones have this feature and when I got mine I thought it was just kind of gimmicky, plus, they were asking like $40 for the chargers in the US.  A while back though, I saw some cheaper ones on Lazada and bought one.  I've actually grown to like it.  I have the charger sitting on a table next to my bed and I just lay the phone on it before sleep.  In the morning, it's fully charged and ready for the day but if I get a call in the night I can just grab the phone and no problem with wires on it.  You can also get fairly cheap dash phone mounts with wireless charging built in so no need for wires in the car either.  But my battery goes all day so I don't need to charge in the car.

When I looked for a phone for my wife, I looked for wireless charging (she is hell on cables) but the one she wanted didn't have it.  Lazada also sells adapters though which are a flat coil with a micro-usb or Ctype plug on a tab.  Just plug it into the phone and put the coil on the back.  It can go inside the phone if the back comes off or inside the case or just stick it to the back of the phone.  Now the phone has wireless charging. The only difficulty I see now is if we're on a trip and want to use regular charging, it might be tough get the tab unplugged to get a regular wire connected.  I have not seen one but a good solution to this would be having the tab plug able to attach a regular cable piggy back.  Also, you may not want to do this if you commonly connect a cable for data transfer.

So now any phone can use wireless charging.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Paddy

A thing that has used inductive charging for years is...the electric toothbrush!
I have to assume the delay in incorporating the technology widely in cell phones has been difficulty in making the components small/flat enough. 

HongKongPhooey
14 hours ago, SkyMan said:

she is hell on cables

Mine too. Sometimes this stuff is too much of a coincidence that scientists will one day discover it’s a basic component of their DNA.  My charging cables outlast my phones.

Edited by HongKongPhooey
  • Haha 1

SkyMan
19 hours ago, Paddy said:

I have to assume the delay in incorporating the technology widely in cell phones has been difficulty in making the components small/flat enough. 

Here's some of the various varieties. There around 100 pesos. 

Screenshot_20191115-061737_Lazada.thumb.jpg.2b3fca883beb50571cde71d53fe9d5d2.jpg

Paddy

Plugging the cable socket full time is less of an issue with cloud storage (assuming decent data connections). It would be nice if Apple allowed file transfer over Bluetooth too. 
Right now, if I need to charge and I have a cable with me, I can plug into a block, the car and any powered USB port. Wireless charging “anywhere” using one of these would mean multiple sending units (until they are more common). A decent battery helps. 

samatm

How is the speed of charging?   I Really love my fast charging VOOC by oppo.   Dead to 25% in 5 mins.  It's been a life saver for me...at least helping not get fired.  

SkyMan
1 hour ago, samatm said:

How is the speed of charging?   I Really love my fast charging VOOC by oppo.   Dead to 25% in 5 mins.  It's been a life saver for me...at least helping not get fired.  

Depends on the lowest power of your charging block, the charging unit, and the coil you add to the phone.  My S8+ goes into fast charging mode and goes from about dead to full in an hour and a half or so.  But there are higher power units.  I think mine is 10W and I've seen 18W units.  Not sure if my phone would charge any faster with those though, as the coil inside the phone may only be 10W.

Edited by SkyMan

Salty Dog
23 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

My S8+ goes into fast charging mode and goes from about dead to full in an hour and a half or so.

Great minds think alike. I have the same phone...:cool:

I've seen the chargers here for under $20 now.

Maybe I should give one a try.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

samatm
On 11/19/2019 at 12:48 PM, SkyMan said:

Depends on the lowest power of your charging block, the charging unit, and the coil you add to the phone.  My S8+ goes into fast charging mode and goes from about dead to full in an hour and a half or so.  But there are higher power units.  I think mine is 10W and I've seen 18W units.  Not sure if my phone would charge any faster with those though, as the coil inside the phone may only be 10W.

So the answer yes 😁.  So that's cool.   How long would it take to get from 0 to 25%. ?     My phone Oppo F3+. Is not in the same price category of an S8.  Being a lower to mid range phone having Flash fast charging is worth the extra cost if you are in the market for a 15k  phone.

SkyMan
1 hour ago, samatm said:

How long would it take to get from 0 to 25%. ?

I don't think I;ve ever gone to 0.  When it gets down to 15% or so I get a warning and plug it in if I'm still using it or I put it on the wireless charger if not.  

SkyMan