American arrested for being with a 12 year-old at a resort.

However, this is where it gets complicated. As has been pointed out on this forum, many young girls develop early and "appear" to be of age, and pose as being older. Many lie about their age, and some carry fake IDs, while others have the complicity of their families. I can speak from experience. I had an incident in another country where I met a 6 foot "girl" who was a vollyball player. (I am 5'-9"). Not only was this girl tall, she was built like a woman.

This sort of thing is not pedophilia, a pedo would not have found this young woman attractive. What your'e talking about is an under age person, which as you note is a slippery thing to define. I wouldn't condone underage contact either but I do recognize the vast difference and the need for the two different situations to be treated differently.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• USMC-Retired

• Alan S

• loosehead

• smokey

Wow, Kreole you dodged a bullet there. Good for you. It also shows that even when you are being careful and trying to do the right thing as you did, at times its still tough. Regardless we all need to be careful.

A little perspective.

Recently in Rio (Brazil) a man was arrested for "inappropriate" affection to a minor while on a public beach. The only problem was that the minor in question was his daughter, and he was in the company of his wife. Apparently, some uptight bystander misread the signals and called the police who promptly arrested him. One would think that once the facts were sorted out that would be the end of the story. Not so. He is being charged by the state. According to the news source, the mother is outraged that her husband cannot be openly affectionate with their daughter in public. However, the police have a hidden agenda: to make an example of how diligently they are working to curb pedopilia in Brazil. This has got to be the grossest example of misapplication of the law. Aside from the obvious acts of touching the breast or genatal area, or exceeding the norm of decorum, what purpose can be served by this prosecution? There will always be those uptight and vicious (dirty minded) people who selectively mis-perceive situations or acts in order to fit into their own sick world view. These are the people who are another serious danger to society because they can, and do ruin other people's lives by their false accusations.

That said, I do not know the intentions of this man and hope they are purely familial and not sexual. I too have very STRONG feelings against such predadory behavior. Although I generally like people, I adore children and animals, and feel very protective of them. I dare say that if I did not keep my emotions in check, I myself would like to do some serious damage to these people. In these cases I would advocate the death penalty for pedopilia, especially in repeat offenders. Short of that, life imprisonment without the possibility of parole.

However, this is where it gets complicated. As has been pointed out on this forum, many young girls develop early and "appear" to be of age, and pose as being older. Many lie about their age, and some carry fake IDs, while others have the complicity of their families. I can speak from experience. I had an incident in another country where I met a 6 foot "girl" who was a vollyball player. (I am 5'-9"). Not only was this girl tall, she was built like a woman. She told me she was 18, and when I spoke with her mother, the mother lied to me about her age, because she wanted a gringo in the family. Thanks to a friend of mine who was the athletic instructor at her school, I found out she was 14! I was stunned and exceedingly angry at the mother for trying to trap me. Fortunately, I did my homework first and did not get involved with her. But, it could just as easily gone sideways if my friend had not alerted me. Although underage, I do not define this strictly as pedopilia, because there can be honest mistakes and faulty judgments based on physical characteristics and other influences, such as the testimony of the family. However, when it is clearly a case of a child, where there can be NO DOUBT, then the intentions of the perpetrator cannot be denied. It is in these cases that I am unforgiving and extremist in my views.

the first time i was in the phillipines ..quite a while ago.. a young western women said to me on the beach

"its disgusting"

"what" i said

"look at the old man!... hes just here for the kids...makes me sick!"

"what makes yous say that?"

"its obvious ..just look at him!"

"that could be me one day ..we all get old you know!" i said.

"but whats he doing here ..makes me sick!"

those words and attitude really stuck in my mind at how judgmental people can be.

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." Mother Teresa

Edited by Slick Willie

So since this is still kicking around does anyone know how it ended up...

It seems like cases take about two years to come to trial here. That's a real bummer if you are charged with a nonbailable offense.

I just don't like the fact that these cases are getting printed on the front page of the newspaper. It is like "another American molesting our kids". If the guy did something wrong, then let him be punished. But I agree, how many molestations or incest gigs are going on locally and what, it is a small article on page 6? I actually had a woman come up to me at Fooda and ask me if I am American. I was kind of taken back because she came up kinda strong for not knowing me. I said "well, yes" and she said... "this is my daughter (who must have been 13ish) do you find her beautiful"? I am thinking WTF? I just looked at her and said "WHAT"??? I walked away to go find my gf. This was a couple days after this article was in Cebu Daily News. The article before about the ex mormon missionary. that was weird too.

It just creates hatred publishing this stuff. If someone is convicted, THEN put it on the front page but there is an agenda to make us all out to be molesters, it seems. I am not sure what good this "agenda" is doing for someone locally. Maybe it is stemmed from jealousy of a woman getting stolen away (I mean one of legal age). Weird stuff. The majority of people I have met here who like sex out of the "ordinary" and attempt to brag about it, well... were not Americans. I will shut up there.