American arrested for being with a 12 year-old at a resort.

Paul
the few times i have been to phils,i have played basketball,taken the kids for ice creams,mcdonalds,nobody in my neighborhood thought i was trying to do anything crazy,they all would tell my wife that your husband is a very kind man,i think u just need to use good judgement,buying kids ice cream or jollibee is much different than trying to take a 12 yr old girl into a hotel room without her parents,i will never change my character there,i would break the kids hearts,but i will always use good judgement

I believe that someone else, if I read it correctly, mentioned something about body language. That may have been a good call concerning this case. Perhaps he was overly affectionate to the girl, which is why they reported him? Who knows? Either way, I have been around groups of kids here, but never just alone with one in any situation. Of course, it never occurred to me either. Something like that just doesn't cross your mind, normally.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alan S

• USMC-Retired

• loosehead

• smokey

Irishguy
I believe that someone else, if I read it correctly, mentioned something about body language. That may have been a good call concerning this case. Perhaps he was overly affectionate to the girl, which is why they reported him? Who knows? Either way, I have been around groups of kids here, but never just alone with one in any situation. Of course, it never occurred to me either. Something like that just doesn't cross your mind, normally.

What would happen if one of us was dating or living with a mother of say two kids under ten year of age and the mum went out for work or whatever, is that also breaking the law?

What would happen if one of us was dating or living with a mother of say two kids under ten year of age and the mum went out for work or whatever, is that also breaking the law?

thats good question,if i was dating i wouldn't stay alone with them,

• 3 months later...
angelescitypi
thats good question,if i was dating i wouldn't stay alone with them,

Any updates on this case?

Any updates on this case?

http://globalnation.inquirer.net/cebudaily...teen-abuse-case

Last May 15, American tourist Preston Jay Kuntz was arrested for keeping a 12-year-old girl in a beach resort in Sta. Fe in Bantayan Island, northern Cebu.

Kuntz was released from jail last May 19 after posting a P100,000 bail and returned to the US last May 27.

Kuntz, who denied abusing the girl, said he knew the family and claimed that they were supposed to join him and the girl at the resort.

The girl recently went missing and the parents face charges before the Cebu Provincial Prosecutor's Office.

The CLB is preparing to seek Kuntz's extradiction so he would stand trial before the Regional Trial Court in Bogo.

My last trip to phil, I had a 12yo girl and her 9yo brother in my hotel without their parents. The girl I was visiting was babysitting these kids and brought them along as a chaperone I assume. She left for a few hours to go to town to buy some stuff. I will never do that again, but I did make sure we stayed in view and not behind closed doors. I did not know at that time that I was risking prison time. I know now.

loosehead
I think a lot of people are taking this way too far. There is a big difference between being out in a public place with a minor or being in a hotel room alone with one. :) I am not going to stop my life and stop spending time with my wife's family or other steet kids because of things like this happening, but I will be damned if I would be caught dead or alive alone with a minor in a hotel room, even if that minor were a relative on my wife's side.

Anything can happen any time and anywhere, and anyone can accuse a person of doing something wrong in the Philippines or in another country, if we never allow ourselves to be put in a position like that, we can never end up stupid like the guy in the op.

Thanks Mr Lee for injecting some common sense into this discussion

• 1 month later...

Two points.

That law has ONLY ever been used against foreigners, never against a Filipino.

Secondly. Some years ago an expat living in Pampanga province where he worked for a US company, got friendly with some of his neighbours.

One day one of them asked him to have their daughter around to keep an eye on her whilst they went out. Not long afterwards, the police arrived and arrested him, threatening to charge him under that law.

He told them that the parents had asked him to "baby-sit" their daughter, which the parents promptly denied.

It was soon made clear that the options were, legal charges and prosecution or a substantial "donation".

Now, that is obviously NOT the case here, but it does show that it is impossible, or very risky, to have even the most innocent contact with anyone under 18.

I have read that the age of consent in the Philippines is 16. Is that incorrect? Or is the law applied differently to foreigners? Personally, I would never "babysit" a minor without someone else present. I don't even like talking with minors unless they are in the company of their family or friends, never alone. It just risks undesirable consequences.

I have read that the age of consent in the Philippines is 16. Is that incorrect? Or is the law applied differently to foreigners? Personally, I would never "babysit" a minor without someone else present. I don't even like talking with minors unless they are in the company of their family or friends, never alone. It just risks undesirable consequences.

Minor = any girl under 18 years of age.

So, it is best if you stay over that age. We (foreigners) have enough issues already, without giving anyone more ammunition to use against us.

• 2 weeks later...

The same for me in that everytime I come to the Philippines I, sometimes with my wife, and a few times alone, I have taken the children to Enchanted Kingdom, to the movies, Jollibee,etc. And the only problem I've had is with the surrounding adults asking for money. And the children with big smiles and open arms say,' hello tito cary.' They maybe my wife's blood cousins, nephews and neices but I love them as if they are mine and I treat them as such. As for the main story, I can only hope that Mr. Kurtz is a simple man who did not think things through.

the few times i have been to phils,i have played basketball,taken the kids for ice creams,mcdonalds,nobody in my neighborhood thought i was trying to do anything crazy,they all would tell my wife that your husband is a very kind man,i think u just need to use good judgement,buying kids ice cream or jollibee is much different than trying to take a 12 yr old girl into a hotel room without her parents,i will never change my character there,i would break the kids hearts,but i will always use good judgement

When I was at the resort diving last time a couple young fellas, probably brothers or something, aged maybe 12 and 9, were asking for money for food. I just invited them around (I was in an open air restaurant) and bought them lunch and banana splits. Was I in danger of being a gay pedophile? My GF would be so shocked.

So since this is still kicking around does anyone know how it ended up...

Again the guy was at least guilty of exercising world class bad judgement.....

musicman666

the first time i was in the phillipines ..quite a while ago.. a young western women said to me on the beach

"its disgusting"

"what" i said

"look at the old man!... hes just here for the kids...makes me sick!"

"what makes yous say that?"

"its obvious ..just look at him!"

"that could be me one day ..we all get old you know!" i said.

"but whats he doing here ..makes me sick!"

those words and attitude really stuck in my mind at how judgmental people can be.

A little perspective.

Recently in Rio (Brazil) a man was arrested for "inappropriate" affection to a minor while on a public beach. The only problem was that the minor in question was his daughter, and he was in the company of his wife. Apparently, some uptight bystander misread the signals and called the police who promptly arrested him. One would think that once the facts were sorted out that would be the end of the story. Not so. He is being charged by the state. According to the news source, the mother is outraged that her husband cannot be openly affectionate with their daughter in public. However, the police have a hidden agenda: to make an example of how diligently they are working to curb pedopilia in Brazil. This has got to be the grossest example of misapplication of the law. Aside from the obvious acts of touching the breast or genatal area, or exceeding the norm of decorum, what purpose can be served by this prosecution? There will always be those uptight and vicious (dirty minded) people who selectively mis-perceive situations or acts in order to fit into their own sick world view. These are the people who are another serious danger to society because they can, and do ruin other people's lives by their false accusations.

That said, I do not know the intentions of this man and hope they are purely familial and not sexual. I too have very STRONG feelings against such predadory behavior. Although I generally like people, I adore children and animals, and feel very protective of them. I dare say that if I did not keep my emotions in check, I myself would like to do some serious damage to these people. In these cases I would advocate the death penalty for pedopilia, especially in repeat offenders. Short of that, life imprisonment without the possibility of parole.

However, this is where it gets complicated. As has been pointed out on this forum, many young girls develop early and "appear" to be of age, and pose as being older. Many lie about their age, and some carry fake IDs, while others have the complicity of their families. I can speak from experience. I had an incident in another country where I met a 6 foot "girl" who was a vollyball player. (I am 5'-9"). Not only was this girl tall, she was built like a woman. She told me she was 18, and when I spoke with her mother, the mother lied to me about her age, because she wanted a gringo in the family. Thanks to a friend of mine who was the athletic instructor at her school, I found out she was 14! I was stunned and exceedingly angry at the mother for trying to trap me. Fortunately, I did my homework first and did not get involved with her. But, it could just as easily gone sideways if my friend had not alerted me. Although underage, I do not define this strictly as pedopilia, because there can be honest mistakes and faulty judgments based on physical characteristics and other influences, such as the testimony of the family. However, when it is clearly a case of a child, where there can be NO DOUBT, then the intentions of the perpetrator cannot be denied. It is in these cases that I am unforgiving and extremist in my views.

Edited by Kreole