American arrested for being with a 12 year-old at a resort.

overthere-really
Hello Alan

He is being charged under Republican Act 7610 which makes it an offence to be alone with a minor 12 years old. The offence is being alone with a minor. It is irrelevent what his motives were or whether he did or didn't do anything else.

Nobody is disputing he was alone in a resort with a 12 year old girl. He seems to have admitted it.

So, he can reasonably expect to spend a long time in prison, regardless of his motives.

Regards; Jim

That's what prosecutorial discretion is for. I don't think this thing should have gone beyond prosecutor's office.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alan S

• USMC-Retired

• loosehead

• Paul

Jim Sibbick
That's what prosecutorial discretion is for. I don't think this thing should have gone beyond prosecutor's office.

Why?

This is a law of the Philippines. He is obviously guilty. Now they have to go to court to decide the penalty.

Regards; Jim

loosehead
Why?

This is a law of the Philippines. He is obviously guilty. Now they have to go to court to decide the penalty.

Regards; Jim

Agreed Jim but first they neeed to determine whether to add statutory rape charges to his sheet.

Alan I don't think they have a jury system in the Phils and no I don't agree with lynch mobs but I find it interesting that some of the same people who advocate vigilante squads on this board are now plugging the "innocent until proven guilty" line.

Oh I see the difference, it's a yank in the frame this time.....

Excuse the pun but Kuntz like him deserve to be locked up.

overthere-really
Why?

Regards; Jim

Most of the laws I read are written in a broad way. I assume it's to cover all possible unforeseen behaviors within the intent of the law. Justice is in how the laws are used. Enforcing "the letter of the law" is a judgment call. It's a judgment call and discretion by the authorities every step of the way right up to the judge. In English common law a jury can even nullify the law for a given case to see justice served. I agree, he met the elements of the offence but the law isn't an exact science.

Edited to add "judge'. You're right loosehead, no jurys, summary judgments in the Philippines.

Edited by overthere-really

Any person who shall keep or have in his company a minor, twelve (12) years or under or who in ten (10) years or more his junior in any public or private place, hotel, motel, beer joint, discotheque, cabaret, pension house, sauna or massage parlor, beach and/or other tourist resort or similar places

And how about those of you with girlfriends 18 and above you might want to be your wife some day!

SO everyone visiting Fields ave bar is breaking the law?

I think we should all pull stakes, roll up our tents and move to Saipan, hear things are moving and shakin over there from a forum member! :)

USMC-Retired
Any person who shall keep or have in his company a minor, twelve (12) years or under or who in ten (10) years or more his junior in any public or private place, hotel, motel, beer joint, discotheque, cabaret, pension house, sauna or massage parlor, beach and/or other tourist resort or similar places

And how about those of you with girlfriends 18 and above you might want to be your wife some day!

SO everyone visiting Fields ave bar is breaking the law?

I think we should all pull stakes, roll up our tents and move to Saipan, hear things are moving and shakin over there from a forum member! :)

Common Sense. The guy is guilty. He broke the law and the spirit of the law. There is very little to interpret with his action. He should go to jail. He has admitted it and they caught him. I do not think we need a jury to decide his guilt he is guilty. Now as being a pedophile well perception is everything. He should be ready for a little jail time and pay a nice penalty. Maybe he will just get deported and blacklisted. However I really think he is an example and will not get this.

smokey
Common Sense. The guy is guilty. He broke the law and the spirit of the law. There is very little to interpret with his action. He should go to jail. He has admitted it and they caught him. I do not think we need a jury to decide his guilt he is guilty. Now as being a pedophile well perception is everything. He should be ready for a little jail time and pay a nice penalty. Maybe he will just get deported and blacklisted. However I really think he is an example and will not get this.

If this guy or any guy regardless of race color or government job is caught he should be punished but I do find it sad that while this is front page every day a few days ago some local went amok as they call it and killed a mother and her 13 year old and a 8 year old hacked to death and it only made it to the 9th page of the cebu news.. I don

USMC-Retired
If this guy or any guy regardless of race color or government job is caught he should be punished but I do find it sad that while this is front page every day a few days ago some local went amok as they call it and killed a mother and her 13 year old and a 8 year old hacked to death and it only made it to the 9th page of the cebu news.. I don
Alan S

Some years ago I was out with a Filipino couple I know, together with their kids.

Whilst going round one of the malls in Manila, we stopped for coffee /drinks, and the parents then went off to shop for Christmas presents, leaving the children with me.

That is the sort of innocent activity that one cannot risk in the Philippines, even if it is the parents wish and they are happy.

Sad, but true.

Come on... He talked with a 12 year old since she was 10. He came to visit. He then took her to a resort on another Island. No parents or family around. Lets just add this up and you figure out what is going on. He probally has been supporting the family with money they think he is great. They have a large family to feed and house.

I really do not want to snap to judgement however I just wanted to confirm his story.

So here are the facts:

His dad is a Flight instructor and owns an airfield. If alcoholic like he said at age 70 now a DUI would revoke his license.

His Brothers own a sporting goods store in his home town.

His Mother has a nice bread and breakfast in that town for the influx of hunters.

As for him:

He lived in his home time for a while then came to Asia in the 90's to ESL

He has video studio in LA. (shots of little girls are some of his collection in asia)

Poor guy such a broken home. Sorry I do not pity him and with a little research his story is a load of bullshit that he adopted this family because his is so broken.

Sorry no one should ever even think of taking a 12 year old to another Island with out the family. It sounds creepy and probably is. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck. It probably is a duck.

Also if he is so dumb as to think this behavior was ok he should be jailed because not telling what else he thinks is ok behavior.

Home town Paper

http://www.sigourneynewsreview.com/ Search that city and you will see his whole family tree.

i agree,some guys are hoping he is ignorant to the laws,but the truth is this wasn't his 1st time in phils,he knew the laws,he got caught

smokey

Lets wait and see i have in the past often allowed children to help clean up the surrounding area of my house .. i do this to teach them that with work you get reward ... I will tell 4 of them aged 6 to 9 fill up this sack with trash off of this street and i will give you 50 peso ... and they run and often i am rewarded by seeing them and hearing them say they will give the money to their momma... i guess if someone sees me talking to these children or they are hanging around my house i will be in trouble... sad..

aussiedon
Lets wait and see i have in the past often allowed children to help clean up the surrounding area of my house .. i do this to teach them that with work you get reward ... I will tell 4 of them aged 6 to 9 fill up this sack with trash off of this street and i will give you 50 peso ... and they run and often i am rewarded by seeing them and hearing them say they will give the money to their momma... i guess if someone sees me talking to these children or they are hanging around my house i will be in trouble... sad..

Well I guess it only takes one person who doesnt like you to report your "activities" to the authorities and you may be done for.

I am not changing my ways , while on my two wheel adventures one of the things I enjoy most is the children, and I talk, take pictures, give them candy, chat with them, let them sit on my KTM 990 Superenduro R, The children of the Philippines are one of the Beautiful things of the Philippines, Rose colored Glasses or not I think we can all agree on that.

Lee

I think a lot of people are taking this way too far. There is a big difference between being out in a public place with a minor or being in a hotel room alone with one. :P I am not going to stop my life and stop spending time with my wife's family or other steet kids because of things like this happening, but I will be damned if I would be caught dead or alive alone with a minor in a hotel room, even if that minor were a relative on my wife's side.

Anything can happen any time and anywhere, and anyone can accuse a person of doing something wrong in the Philippines or in another country, if we never allow ourselves to be put in a position like that, we can never end up stupid like the guy in the op.

the few times i have been to phils,i have played basketball,taken the kids for ice creams,mcdonalds,nobody in my neighborhood thought i was trying to do anything crazy,they all would tell my wife that your husband is a very kind man,i think u just need to use good judgement,buying kids ice cream or jollibee is much different than trying to take a 12 yr old girl into a hotel room without her parents,i will never change my character there,i would break the kids hearts,but i will always use good judgement