American arrested for being with a 12 year-old at a resort.

tom_shor
Cebuned, I was about to say that what you do is against the law, but I checked first and found, "That this provision shall not apply to any person who is related within the fourth degree of consanguinity " which I believe covers your situation.

(Although I'm not 100% sure)

Interestingly, the act also states that, <it is an offence...to>

Being in a community where there is armed conflict or being affected by armed conflict-related activities;

Living in or fending for themselves in the streets of urban or rural areas without the care of parents or a guardian or basic services needed for a good quality of life;

and much more that is commonplace in the Philippines.

So fathers brothers and uncles that abuse their young relatives are not covered. Interesting. :P

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alan S

• USMC-Retired

• loosehead

• smokey

musicman666

its one word against another..so its stalemate although that didnt help gary glitter!!

seems to me that the law needs to be updated.

the front desk of establishments will need the adult to sign a declaration (on one on one) that the child is his own...otherwise the desk will be held liable. If the adult lies then this is proof of deception and would carry a heavy penalty like jail.

parents of children will also be held liable.... so it will be in their own interest to look after their kids... so they cant run some kind of racket.

obviously this is harsh but what else can you do?

Edited by musicman666
Markham
Cebuned, I was about to say that what you do is against the law, but I checked first and found, "That this provision shall not apply to any person who is related within the fourth degree of consanguinity " which I believe covers your situation.

(Although I'm not 100% sure)

That specific bit does not cover Ned's situation since 'consanguinity' means 'related by blood'. But if you read on a bit, in the same clause, it mentions 'affinity' which most certainly does cover Ned.

JamesMusslewhite

I am an American living in Surigao City. I moved here from Houston, Texas with my family back in October. I believe that a person is innocent until proven guilty. That being said, If this man's acts were that of a good honest man, than he is still guilty of braking a local law. The law must be enforced, and I hope they take the fact that he was ignorant of the law when deciding the punishment and enforcement of that law. If he touched that little in a sexual or lustful way, than he needs to be neutered and put in the worst local prison population the Philippines has to offer. The perverted acts of deviants and pedophiles can not and should not be tolerated in any culture. I see men in Surigao City, Cebu and Manila who have on their arms around little girls who could be their granddaughter or great-granddaughter. They know that if they did this back in their home countries that they would be looked upon as perverts and dirty old men. They are so pleased with themselves, that they do not see the disgusted glares of the locals. They do not like it, and they look as foreigners as deviant vultures preying on their innocent youth. The damage of one self serving selfish man, can destroy years of good will by good peoples. This law would not even had to be made, if the acts of evil men before had not necessitated the need for such a law. I hope this man is innocent of the crime, and only guilty of ignorance and poor judgment. If he is guilty of a sick evil lustful act, than he must be punished to the fullest extent of the law. It protects us all

Paul

I recently met an older Filipino who has spent the last 40 plus years of his life in the culinary arts, in the US. He has a 23 year old wife, apparently, whom he has been married to for the past two years, and is now pregnant with his child.

I realize this is not the same scenerio, and I certainly hope it isn't. But, my point is, this is not the US, or any other western country for that matter, and older men with younger women is not out of the norm to see here.

JamesMusslewhite
I recently met an older Filipino who has spent the last 40 plus years of his life in the culinary arts, in the US. He has a 23 year old wife, apparently, whom he has been married to for the past two years, and is now pregnant with his child.

I realize this is not the same scenerio, and I certainly hope it isn't. But, my point is, this is not the US, or any other western country for that matter, and older men with younger women is not out of the norm to see here.

I agree with you, but I know that we are held to a different standard by the locals: They piss on a wall and life blindly flows by, We piss on the same wall and all stop look and stare. We will get funny looks that they would not give themselves. They watch us and project their dislikes onto us, so we have to strive to better. We talk how we want things to change here, but often we do the same things we fault them for. We are an example for them to to help show them the change, and they are more disappointed when we fail to be different.

Looks like you're not aware of the Congressman Jalosjos story:

http://en.wikipilipinas.org/index.php?title=Romeo_Jalosjos

Part of the report is:

The girl was later examined by the town's health officer who found a laceration in her vagina.

Additional details should hve been stated if fresh or old.

She could have easily been lacerated by the examination, particularly if she was a virgin.

tom_shor
She could have easily been lacerated by the examination, particularly if she was a virgin.

Especially if she did not willingy submit to this violation of her person.

A few things about this story disturb me:

The authorities questioned the parents. They said they'd given the man permission to go to the resort with their daughter. In fact, they planned to join her in a few days. The parents could have pressed charges and scammed the rich kano out of thousands of pesos had they wanted to but they didn't.

The older sister said the kano was "a good man" and her younger sister would have told her if anything inappropriate had taken place.

The authorities questioned the girl and she did not indicate anything inappropriate had happened. I would think any trained medical professional can recognize the symptoms of child abuse.

I agree this situation should be properly investigated but jumping to the conclusion that something inappropriate must have taken place doesn't support the facts as they've been presented thus far.

I've spent time with children I'm not related to in the past. Why? Because I was trying to help out a stressed parent and I like children. Just because you show an act of kindness to a child doesn't make you a pervert. Until facts are presented to the contrary, I'm willing to give the misguided kano the benefit of the doubt.

Edited by Kaku
Nevertheless, he said charges will be filed on Monday with the Bantayan Island Municipal Circuit Trial Court because
BBQ Joe

Are these the same doctors who examine girls teeth to see if they are 18?

Inspector 2211
So, I am guilty of breaking this law, just by being in the Fils with my GF. I am 43, she just turned 30.

No you're not, because at 30 she is not a MINOR.

She's 12 or under ... you're in violation at any age, even when you're only 18.

She's between 13 and 18 ... you're in violation when you are more than 10 years older than her.

She's between 13 and 18 ... you're in violation when you are more than 10 years older than her.

Hmmmm...I didn't read it that way, but again the whole code is not provided. So, if you say I am covered, then good...I don't have to bring a lawyer with me when I go to the Fils....at least not for this particular law...hahaha!

bikerdave

Read it again a minor regardless of any age difference if one is an adult. It does not specify clearly on the 10 yr rule of only if it's a minor. Thats what was so silly about it

Jim Sibbick
I just want to say, what scares me most is the fact that, I enjoy very much spending time with my nieces and nephews. They are my wifes brothers and sisters children, and I love them like my own. I take them often on day trips to the beach and sometimes to the city to shop. It's not uncommon for us to spend the night in Cebu City, after a long day of sight seeing and shopping, before our trip back to Toledo City. God forbid they accused me of doing something wrong for just spending a night with my own relatives in a hotel or where ever....

And trust me, this big white cano, looks nothing like my nieces and nephews from my wifes side of the family.

If the guy was just being innocent and careing to the family, I hope things work out for him. If he had those other nasty intentions, God can only save him.

The 10 year law does not apply if you are related. According to the law, you can be alone with minors who are related to the 4th degree. So, neices and nephews will fit within that range.

Regards: Jim