American arrested for being with a 12 year-old at a resort.

Paul

News Link

AMERICAN ARRESTED

Foreigner in hot water for bringing minor to a resort

By Ador Vincent Mayol, Chito O. Aragon

Cebu Daily News

First Posted 09:45:00 05/17/2009

Police are filing child abuse charges against an American who stayed in a beach resort in Sta. Fe town in the company of a 12-year-old girl, a sampaguita vendor from Cebu City.

Preston Jay Kunts, 41, was arrested on Friday after the management of Hoyohoy Beach Resort, where he brought the child, reported the presence of the foreigner and his young companion to social workers.

Police said they

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alan S

• USMC-Retired

• loosehead

• smokey

Alan S

The guy may be innocent in that he didnt abuse the girl.

(We dont know for certain, so lets accept that for the present. )

However, the catch-all law quoted does mean that he is guilty, and is, or should be, a warning to any foreigner to stay well away from anyone under age, no matter how innocent ones intentions might be.

Huck Finn
The guy may be innocent in that he didnt abuse the girl.

(We dont know for certain, so lets accept that for the present. )

However, the catch-all law quoted does mean that he is guilty, and is, or should be, a warning to any foreigner to stay well away from anyone under age, no matter how innocent ones intentions might be.

If you are a foreigner you already have a target painted on your back and you are being watched for that one mis-step by those who are jealous of you or who may resent your presence. Kudo's to the family for standing behind the guy even tho he wasn't using his head in going off with the girlr without her family being present. That's just asking for trouble.

USMC-Retired

Well since they spelled his name wrong hard to search the poor guy. Kuntz is his name from Sigourney Iowa.

No matter what he was in a hotel with a 12 year old. Sorry he is guilty of a least poor judgment. Thus he will be prosecuted for it.

Oh well.

Edited by USMC-Retired
bikerdave
If you are a foreigner you already have a target painted on your back and you are being watched for that one mis-step by those who are jealous of you or who may resent your presence. Kudo's to the family for standing behind the guy even tho he wasn't using his head in going off with the girlr without her family being present. That's just asking for trouble.

Also this 10 years junior rule I see a lot of expats not legally married and have girlfriends 10+ years their juniors, and plenty of filipino friends to boot. :lol:

Paul
Thus he will be prosecuted for it.

Wanna bet? Unless too many people get involved, this will disappear into the night. The family doesn't want to file charges. Hell, they approved the trip.

Also this 10 years junior rule I see a lot of expats not legally married and have girlfriends 10+ years their juniors, and plenty of filipino friends to boot. :lol:

Yes, but the rule only applies if the girls are also under-age.

USMC-Retired
Wanna bet? Unless too many people get involved, this will disappear into the night. The family doesn't want to file charges. Hell, they approved the trip.

Is this not the same place that pressed obsenity charges against that actress?

overthere-really

I think the guy is guilty of ignorance and maybe niavete. I hope I'm not wrong. These kind laws are necessary to protect kids, I hope this one isn't being used to abuse an adult.

Also, who protects the kid from the law? Her first experience is at the hands of a "health officer", with society's consent. That's just as unnatural to a healthy child as what the law is trying to protect her from.

>"However, her parents insisted that Kunts, who checked in three days earlier with the girl, took her for a vacation in Sta. Fe with their consent."

>"Neither the girl nor her parents, however, want to press charges."

>"“She and her parents refused to execute an affidavit or complaint,” said Senior Inspector Rolando Evalle, chief of the Sta. Fe police."

>"The father told Ilustrisimo they knew the child was in Kunts' company and were not interested in filing a complaint."

>"American is a ‘family friend’"

>"Her 17-year-old sister told the American was a “good friend” and that the family was not interested in pressing charges against him."

>"“Wala man miy problema. Ang pulis raman naay problema. Wa man siya'y nanghilabot,” said the elder sister."

(there is no problem or concern about her, police see a problem)

>"In telephone interview at the Sta. Fe police station last night, the 17-year-old sister said she couldn't (didn't?) believe that her younger sister was raped."

>"(I don't believe that she was abused because the American is a good man. And my sister would have told me if something bad happened.)"

I want to post something here but I won't. I will just say this: "ridiculous"

These laws are not there to nail tourists or foreigners the lawmakers must have perceived a problem within the Filipino community regarding the abuse of children and made legislation to counter it. It must be a huge problem in their society he just got caught because of his stupidity I hope and not because he was using her. If a guy took an unrelated 12 year old girl alone with him to a resort here in Australia the same thing would happen. The department of child services would be all over it along with the police and everybody else would be outraged.

zodiakflip

it's about time they catch one of those guys now lets see if he gets prosecuted or if the charges get dropped after he pays the family. it even makes my stomach a litle sick when i see some old guy with a girl under 30. yeah thats love oooooooookkkk.

zodiakflip

i have a feeling i'm going to get bashed for that.

zodiakflip

there is definately a dif. between the two and the old guy with the girl older than 18 is legal i think in the pi. my experience with having them as friends. out of the 10 12 cpls we new 9 out of the 10 or 11 out of the 12 would tell my wife there waiting for him to die or they were cheating on him.. not sure why they just don't marry alady more there age. maybe that stuff wouldn't happen.