Bama

49" Samsung LED TV laid down on me........

Bama

My 49" Samsung LED TV took a dump.

TV has audio but no display.A flashlight angled to the side of the display reveals that the display is good.Suggests that the back lighting is inop. Shop supposedly replace a power supply that didn't fix it.Now I'm being quoted 16K for the LED unit----I paid 25K for the TV two years ago.Seems a bit much to me.

Does anyone know of a process to check the LED unit? Is there anywhere to get the unit for a bit less than 16K? Have repaired all kinds of electrical/electronic stuff for 50 years but have never been in a LED TV.Any pitfalls to be aware of? Thanks in advance.

BTW---the warranty ran out a week ago---go figure.LOL

Edited by Bama

RogerDuMond
15 minutes ago, Bama said:

I paid 25K for the TV two years ago.Seems a bit much to me.

Not the answer you are looking for, but for their sale starting Monday, Lazada has Samsung 49" Full HD Smart LED TV - UA49J5200 for ₱24,299.00 plus 2,240 shipping. So it would seem logical to just buy a new one.

• Like 3

Woolf

hang on a second I have same problem with my 50" TCL

I will try to find the youtubes again how to fix it

• Like 1

Woolf

ok    did not take long

• Like 2

Bama
16 minutes ago, RogerDuMond said:

Not the answer you are looking for, but for their sale starting Monday, Lazada has Samsung 49" Full HD Smart LED TV - UA49J5200 for ₱24,299.00 plus 2,240 shipping. So it would seem logical to just buy a new one.

Just buy a new one might be what happens-----but I'm not a throw away kind of guy. If I fixed the old one it could used in another room----not for 16K probably. 

Let's see what Woolf's video has got to say...............

• Like 2

Woolf

My TCL is about 2½ year old same problem no back light

I think the heat here is hard on the LEDs, no aircon in the room with the tv

thare are more videos that I have looked at, one way to fix it is to change one the led strips

Bama

Thanks for the video Woolf---most excellent.

When we were in the repair shop today (probably won't mentioned the companies name---but they are based out of Cebu) I asked if there was a power supply to check out the LED unit. No Sir,---all we can do is replace it. I knew that that was BS when they said it and sure enough in the video there's a guy checking away with no doubt some homemade PS. Sheesh.

TV repair shops would go out of business pretty quick making 16K PHP mistakes that customers refuse to pay for when their TV's aren't fixed.

15 minutes ago, Woolf said:

My TCL is about 2½ year old same problem no back light

Were you able to fix it----if so what did you use to check the LEDS or did you replace them all?

I would replace them all but not for 16K.

Woolf

If you have no other plans for an hour or so      here is another video

lamoe
4 hours ago, Bama said:

When we were in the repair shop today (probably won't mentioned the companies name---but they are based out of Cebu) I asked if there was a power supply to check out the LED unit. No Sir,---all we can do is replace it. I knew that that was BS when they said it and sure enough in the video there's a guy checking away with no doubt some homemade PS. Sheesh.

BS is right - All that's needed is an old phone charger

I added some shielded alligator clips to mine then clamp them to sockets of multi-meter test leads

Woolf

I had my wife call TCL repair center in Cebu

labor1500 php I need to bring the TV there, I guess that if they repair as shown in videos parts cant be much, maybe nothing

I do not know as it was wife calling them, cannot be done home service  as it takes 3  techs, I guess handling the panel

You will find the place here

Street view:

https://www.google.com/maps/@10.2905822,123.8767315,3a,35.8y,200.03h,85.91t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sG_DZTmWDiXtBotaJGiDeIQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Map:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bio+Plus+Repair+Center/@10.290472,123.8745123,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x33a99c0564cce189:0xd5d273d6dabec4b9!8m2!3d10.290472!4d123.876701

Edited by Woolf

Woolf

The phone number is Telephone: (032) 262-1339

Bama
1 hour ago, Woolf said:

I had my wife call TCL repair center in Cebu

Probably not going to Cebu for repairs as I live in TTown. Paid 1250 for labor already---they replaced the power supply---no help---and then wanted 16K for the back lights.

HERE IS A HEADS UP FOR EVERYONE

Started looking into this TV deal today---several vids state that TV dealers routinely max the back light setting to help improve the image. You bring the set home--start using it and think no more about it.Maxed out back light settings it is said significantly shortens the lifespan of the leds in the backlight strips.Turn it down to about half way is recommended. Mine was set to 9 out of a possible 15 which lasted 105 weeks----one week longer than the warranty....LOL      Might want to check your TV's settings.

Replacing the led strips looks pretty simple but can't find parts here or in the US.Will keep looking.

cookie47
Probably not going to Cebu for repairs as I live in TTown. Paid 1250 for labor already---they replaced the power supply---no help---and then wanted 16K for the back lights.
HERE IS A HEADS UP FOR EVERYONE
Started looking into this TV deal today---several vids state that TV dealers routinely max the back light setting to help improve the image. You bring the set home--start using it and think no more about it.Maxed out back light settings it is said significantly shortens the lifespan of the leds in the backlight strips.Turn it down to about half way is recommended. Mine was set to 9 out of a possible 15 which lasted 105 weeks----one week longer than the warranty....LOL      Might want to check your TV's settings.
Replacing the led strips looks pretty simple but can't find parts here or in the US.Will keep looking.
Ok, not an expert in this matter, but do know what the backlight does.

Lazada has varying references to back lights. A lot of them are single LED, S ( surface mount) where i expect a tech needs to solder them to the base mount BUT, there is a few fully assembled units with Samsung mentioned. Cant see anything over 40 inch though. The one mentioned below is not of your size but only mentioned as a page guide..

Dolity 2pcs 355mm LED Backlight Strip Lamps Kit for 19 TV Repair CCFL LCD Monitor | https://s.lazada.com.ph/s.ZXhrX

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Woolf
3 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

Ok, not an expert in this matter, but do know what the backlight does.

Lazada has varying references to back lights. A lot of them are single LED, S ( surface mount) where i expect a tech needs to solder them to the base mount BUT, there is a few fully assembled units with Samsung mentioned. Cant see anything over 40 inch though. The one mentioned below is not of your size but only mentioned as a page guide..

Dolity 2pcs 355mm LED Backlight Strip Lamps Kit for 19 TV Repair CCFL LCD Monitor | https://s.lazada.com.ph/s.ZXhrX

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

That one can not be used for a LED tv, it is a replacement for a CCFL in an old type LCD tv

LED  TVs have light strips like this

https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/1set-3pcs-led-backlight-strip-6-lamp-for-lg32-tv-32mb25vq-6916l-1974a-6916l-1981a-lv320due-32lf5800-32lb5610-innotek-drt-30-32-32lb582v-i390496025-s897138183.html?ef_id=EAIaIQobChMIg7-htqLa5QIVTK6WCh2zswLpEAQYAyABEgLjKvD_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!3151!3!244365264139!!!u!293946777986!&exlaz=d_1:mm_150050845_51350205_2010350205::12:1032129542!52512091404!!!pla-293946777986!c!293946777986!897138183!135249503!244365264139&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIg7-htqLa5QIVTK6WCh2zswLpEAQYAyABEgLjKvD_BwE

• Like 1