Online Food Ordering in PH

As one avenue for maintaining my healthy food practices in the U.S., I tried just now to see whether Amazon would deliver converted rice to an address in Cebu City.  I thought they'd preclude it completely, but instead the system appeared to allow it.  However, the total cost, delivery included for a 10-pound bag of Uncle Ben's rice was $253 US!  (the cost in the U.S. is $10).

In the hope of avoiding the dollar-per-rice-grain approach, I'm posting to see whether members here have found ways to order food online without incurring excessive shipping or customs charges.  Some time ago, I researched this but couldn't find the food items I was interested in using any of the generally known online sites.

In response to a related post some time back, members stated that brown and black rice were available as substitutes for the more common white rice in the PH.  I may end up pursuing those.  However, I like the combination of flavor, texture, and glycemic index (37 if memory serves) of converted rice, and am trying to see if there's a way to obtain it in the PH, without spending $250 for a 10 pound bag.

My question could of course apply to whether other healthy foods can be ordered online.  However, converted rice is so far the item I have not found any way to obtain at a reasonable price in the PH.  (I visited Cebu in 2018, and noticed that the Healthy Options store carried my favorite brand of steel cut oatmeal.  So, that item is accounted for).  If I find frozen veggie burgers, I'll be all set.

RogerDuMond
15 minutes ago, Voyager39 said:

Uncle Ben's rice

https://www.galleon.ph/product/detail/25801163/uncle-bens-ready-rice-long-grain-wild-rice-88-oz

https://www.ubuy.com.ph/search/index/view/product/b000srmc3i/s/uncle-ben-s-ready-rice--whole-grain-brown--8-8oz/store/store/kk/dp

As far as Uncle Ben's regular converted rice goes, the probability is that you won't find it here. Filipinos hate the taste. I bought some when my wife came to America and she threw it out. As you say though many of the large supermarkets in Cebu carry red, brown, black, and other varieties of rice. Last time I checked, Landers and S&R had specialty rice like red in bulk.

• Like 1
to_dave007
3 minutes ago, RogerDuMond said:

As far as Uncle Ben's regular converted rice goes, the probability is that you won't find it here. Filipinos hate the taste. I bought some when my wife came to America and she threw it out. As you say though many of the large supermarkets in Cebu carry red, brown, black, and other varieties of rice. Last time I checked, Landers and S&R had specialty rice like red in bulk.

One lady here in Tuburan USED TO grow black rice in the northern part of Asturias as part of her organic foods business.  Not sure if she still does.. those fields haven't seen much cultivation last couple of harvests.

• Administrator
Salty Dog

You can buy white, black, brown, red and mixtures of several of the colors in the grocery stores in Cebu City. Sure black cost more than basic white, but nowhere near the price you quoted for shipping rice via Amazon. I think we used to pay about 2-3 times more for black rice then white rice. Even at that, you're only talking about around P100 per kilo.

I'm pretty sure we also saw converted rice in the groceries stores and at S&R.

• Like 1
smokey

Well you could look into bb boxes and if no one there to ship use that service called shipping cart

• Like 1

1st world problem - Amazon delivery of UB rice to SEA. With a drone ofcourse. And veggie burgers. I lay my vote on most funny post...

BossHog

We've had good luck ordering whole wheat flour, 'organic' brown rice, and 'forbidden' black rice on Shopee and Lazada. All three run about a hundred pesos per kilogram and the shipping is cheap/

We use this shop and this shop for other healthy foods like flax, chia. pumpkin,  and sunflower seeds. Prunes, dates, goji berries, and other dried fruit. Almonds, walnuts, etc.

I eat like a ten-ingredient bowl of oatmeal in the morning much to the wife's amusement. She says "no wonder you like birds so much, you sure eat like one" haha.

Edited by BossHog
  • Thanks 1
HongKongPhooey

I too like Uncle Bens because it’s what I grew up with.

I introduced it to my wife and she really liked it ... until she posted a few dinner photos and people asked if I lost my job, since we were obviously eating what appeared to be government rice (NFA?). Since then old Uncle Ben is persona non grata in this household.

Send Lola or one of the aunties down to get you a sample. Maybe it’s the same thing and a hell of a lot cheeped.

Goetz1965

I oder food with GRabFood now.

Foodpanda is dead and HonesBee too. GrabFood took over and until now they are really reliable.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I use shipping cart for Amazon products, like pressure cookers.  Weight about 6 kilos$32 via sea cargo, about 30 days delivery from CA. 

On 11/8/2019 at 10:55 AM, Goetz1965 said:

I oder food with GRabFood now.

Foodpanda is dead and HonesBee too. GrabFood took over and until now they are really reliable.

Foodpanda was alive and well as of yesterday. I find Grab to be a pain in the butt. Drivers accepting orders when they are too far away from the location in the first place so that they can look good for excepting many orders. They then ask you to cancel. Others accept even though they don’t have enough cash to pay for the order, then ask you to cancel. A lot won’t accept if you use grab pay because they have to shell the cash out of their pocket to pay for it and then have to wait to get it back from Grab leaving them with no cash for the next order. Other times, no drivers available. Grab def has some issues to work out. When everything is smooth, they’re great but I bounce back and forth between Panda and Grab.