YOGAVNTURE

Moalboal construction should I get materials from Cebu City

YOGAVNTURE

im buillding a new house in moalboal..............i wonder if buying materials in cebu city .....and just renting my own truck to get stuff to my site ...would be a good idea.... versus buying materials in moalboal....... now i have to have security right?  as if i put materials at a job site they will disappear??????.....

Edited by YOGAVNTURE

lamoe
33 minutes ago, YOGAVNTURE said:

im buillding a new house in moalboal..............i wonder if buying materials in cebu city .....and just renting my own truck to get stuff to my site ...would be a good idea.... versus buying materials in moalboal....... now i have to have security right?  as if i put materials at a job site they will disappear??????.....

Verify prices + delivery costs (don't forget aggravation of you driving 4 + hours? - to me sometimes worth it to have it delivered - refrigerator vs knockdown shelving unit)

Tata's BIL starting a business in Bohol (cycle parts and small general hardware)  - they stayed with us while scoping out suppliers  - Cebu Bolt and Screw about 50% cheaper (including delivery to Bohol port vs buying wholesale there)

Stolen? Can the stuff be picked up by 1 or 10 people?

Woolf

RogerDuMond
4 hours ago, YOGAVNTURE said:

..i wonder if buying materials in cebu city .....and just renting my own truck to get stuff to my site ...would be a good idea.... versus buying materials in moalboal...

The best idea is to make a list of all the materials that you need, take it to the owner or person in charge of multiple places. Tell them where you are located and ask them for their best price including delivery. Let them know that you are getting multiple estimates. We are currently doing that for a raised goat house that we are building and so far, the best estimate is 70,000 pesos under the single unit price total. If we paid the single unit price, the total would be around 350,000 and our best estimate to date is 283,000 and we don't have the Cebu City estimates yet.

• Like 3

to_dave007

Couple of random thoughts... 

1. I agree with Woolf above about Atlantic Hardware.  I think the sign outside says Cebu Atlantic Hardware.  There are two other stores of same name, plus a warehouse located just off V Rama.  They are all electronically linked so if you get "sorry sir no stock" at one, they can check stock at the other locations at customer service desk.. Quite helpful.
  2. Never found Wilcon to be as helpful.
  3. If you buy large load of cement.. you need to have somewhere DRY to store it.
  4. We never had much supplies walk off from here.. but by the time I was buying electrical and plumbing fixtures I could lock them up.
  5. I can't imagine being able to make a lost of ALL the materials you will need (and getting it right)..  so it's more likely that you'll benefit from buying some big loads (of the bulk stuff) from city..  and smaller "as you need it" stuff locally.  Skyman speaks well of buying bulk stuff directly from Vic Enterprises... which supplies many of the small places.. 
  • Like 1

smokey

The stealing will come from some subs. Example. You need50 gallons of paint they mix in water and now have 15 gallons for next job ..need someone to watch

• Thanks 1

RogerDuMond
25 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

I can't imagine being able to make a lost of ALL the materials you will need (and getting it right)..

You can come pretty damn close to an accurate list if you make your own building plans.

4 minutes ago, smokey said:

The stealing will come from some subs. Example. You need50 gallons of paint they mix in water and now have 15 gallons for next job ..need someone to watch

One of the main reasons that we are doing our own work.

• Like 1

YOGAVNTURE
3 hours ago, Woolf said:

somebody on you tube recommended cebu home and building center.  you have two shops you recommend above. i will be in cebu city next week and want to start a relationship with some shop..............lets face it most of these shops compete to get business but im from usa and quality is important?  if you want a 2 x 4 you want it straight board and good wood right.  i appreciate your recommendations above i will assume these shops are all one stop shops meaning they all carry the essential stuff to build a house.  

1 hour ago, to_dave007 said:

Couple of random thoughts... 

1. I agree with Woolf above about Atlantic Hardware.  I think the sign outside says Cebu Atlantic Hardware.  There are two other stores of same name, plus a warehouse located just off V Rama.  They are all electronically linked so if you get "sorry sir no stock" at one, they can check stock at the other locations at customer service desk.. Quite helpful.
  2. Never found Wilcon to be as helpful.
  3. If you buy large load of cement.. you need to have somewhere DRY to store it.
  4. We never had much supplies walk off from here.. but by the time I was buying electrical and plumbing fixtures I could lock them up.
  5. I can't imagine being able to make a lost of ALL the materials you will need (and getting it right)..  so it's more likely that you'll benefit from buying some big loads (of the bulk stuff) from city..  and smaller "as you need it" stuff locally.  Skyman speaks well of buying bulk stuff directly from Vic Enterprises... which supplies many of the small places.. 

so two of you are recommending cebu atlantic hardware.  so i will go visit them next week. i am staying near airport so i wonder if they have a main shop i go to to see if a relationship can be started...................finally i ask you straight up.    i will go with a filipino woman............to the store.  when they see the foreigner does the price for materials go up???????

YOGAVNTURE
4 hours ago, lamoe said:

Verify prices + delivery costs (don't forget aggravation of you driving 4 + hours? - to me sometimes worth it to have it delivered - refrigerator vs knockdown shelving unit)

Tata's BIL starting a business in Bohol (cycle parts and small general hardware)  - they stayed with us while scoping out suppliers  - Cebu Bolt and Screw about 50% cheaper (including delivery to Bohol port vs buying wholesale there)

Stolen? Can the stuff be picked up by 1 or 10 people?

so you recommend cebu bolt and screw............the other post below recommends atlantic hardware i can visit both spots i wonder if their is a big difference in shops . they must all compete...........im a bit leery of giving money up front for anything can these shops be trusted. do i pay upon delivery. if i pay up front what if they dont show up?  im screwed???

to_dave007
16 minutes ago, YOGAVNTURE said:

somebody on you tube recommended cebu home and building center.  you have two shops you recommend above. i will be in cebu city next week and want to start a relationship with some shop..............lets face it most of these shops compete to get business but im from usa and quality is important?  if you want a 2 x 4 you want it straight board and good wood right.  i appreciate your recommendations above i will assume these shops are all one stop shops meaning they all carry the essential stuff to build a house.  

so two of you are recommending cebu atlantic hardware.  so i will go visit them next week. i am staying near airport so i wonder if they have a main shop i go to to see if a relationship can be started...................finally i ask you straight up.    i will go with a filipino woman............to the store.  when they see the foreigner does the price for materials go up???????

You'll see for yourself in Atlantic.. prices are all openly listed.  some places you may get hit..  but if you make them compete as suggested here..  you should be mostly ok..  some of these places are pretty computerized.. they would have a hard time scanning something and giving you one price.. and the next guy in line a different price.  You'll likely have more of an issue at the small places in province..  EVEN IF (!!!) you feel you "have a relationship" with the supplier.  Sometimes when someone is TOO friendly..  I need to check to see if his hand is in my pocket.

I think most guys that did a house construction in province felt a need to BUY a truck..  rather than rent or pay delivery charges..  I know my trusty Toyota Tamaraw did dozens of trips over the mountains loaded to the gills.  Buying it was a good decision.  Lets see what other guys say.

• Like 3

lamoe
Just now, YOGAVNTURE said:

so you recommend cebu bolt and screw............the other post below recommends atlantic hardware i can visit both spots i wonder if their is a big difference in shops . they must all compete...........im a bit leery of giving money up front for anything can these shops be trusted. do i pay upon delivery. if i pay up front what if they dont show up?  im screwed???

Cebu  bolt is closer to me and waaaay cheaper than ACE, Handyman, etc. - the others could be up to 1 hour closer to you?

Her BIL just started an account with P30,000 to enable delivery to Bohol

They do have a real website - wounder of wonders - not just FB - go to site - then call for quote -  before deciding to visit

https://cebubolt-screw.com/

Open hours : 8 AM - 5 PM (Monday - Saturday)

Address : TCi Center, Leon Kilat St., Cebu City

Phone No. (032) 255 0061 | 255 0062 | 412 3561

image.png.1032e37c8a6119de7fc2d9d3cc575949.pngimage.png.5125cfcefb8c9c316f8f737e85c0380f.png

Woolf
YOGAVNTURE
On 11/6/2019 at 11:22 PM, Woolf said:

SO I CAN just compare bolt center to atlantic and see which one i like better.  thanks great advise i am gonna be staying near airport.  but im willing to take taxi with my "Filipina"  to look at your stores. if one is close to airport let me know.  thanks to all for the information.  it looks like i have two shops to compare and shop myself and see if a relationship can be had.   DO I HAVE TO PAY UP FRONT FOR DELIVERED MATERIALS.  CAN I TRUST THEM.  WE HEAR HORROR STORIES IN ASIA. THE MONEY given up front then a problem . but i suspect these are reputable shops..........i love the comment about storing concrete good advise........my gut says if i need 50 bags of concrete i can get alot cheaper in cebu city than in moalboal.  i just need to borrow a truck in moalboal for a day to go get the stuff. or maybe i can get them to deliver it.  im sure these shops have a delivery truck. any opinion i borrow a truck and go get versus them deliver?????  thanks again happy building this is a true adventure...(even though the world becoming americanized)

RogerDuMond
3 minutes ago, YOGAVNTURE said:

DO I HAVE TO PAY UP FRONT FOR DELIVERED MATERIALS.  CAN I TRUST THEM.  WE HEAR HORROR STORIES IN ASIA.

If you pick Atlantic, you can pay with a credit card. I have had no problems with Atlantic, in fact once we picked up an item 3 weeks after we said that we were going to. If you aren't taking something with you, make sure you keep your receipt as you will need it at pickup.

• Like 2

Woolf

as far as I know atlantic nor wilcon delivers

there is a wilcon close to the airport 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wilcon+Depot/@10.335127,123.9574152,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x33a9983122b6c627:0x33fea46aea5bb65e!8m2!3d10.335127!4d123.9596039

I only pointed out the places in tabunok, talisay cause it is easier from moalboal

• Like 1