MJones

a lot of western guys without a proper visa

MJones

I have met more than a few retired western guys who just came here and never left. They have let their visa's expire years ago. I guess the Philippines turns a blind eye to this. Sure could not do this in China today.

savarity

I have too.

PI doesn't seem to spend many resources for, on the ground, police work.

Paddy
3 hours ago, MJones said:

I guess the Philippines turns a blind eye to this.

Not really. All the legislation exists to prevent it. However, the systems required to keep track of what’s going on are either ineffective or non-existent. (And that applies to more than just immigration)

1 hour ago, savarity said:

PI doesn't seem to spend many resources for, on the ground, police work.

They seem to have enough when they detect something going on. Detection, though, seems to be indirect. 
A person successfully flying under the radar can remain officially unnoticed relatively easily - until something goes wrong, or someone complains. 

Example. I am legal (apparently a police friend comment to my partner was “he’s the only legal one around here” - which may, or may not, be true). Recently the barangay required us to fill in form “HH1”. A poorly designed “sorta” census form. Reading the form, it looked like the barangay was trying to determine numbers for school, seniors, clinic etc support. It is highly unlikely that form will go through any data entry and add to a dataset reviewed by BI. Even if it did, it is probable that they’d make a mess of my name (they have trouble with the fact that all my names are first names - to them) and none of my passport number, visa number, drivers license number etc. is not on the form. 
We filled in the form. I don’t think it would make any difference if I was legal or not. The easy way, if I was not legal, would have been to exclude my name from the form. I doubt there would be any follow up. 

Another example. Foreigners (at least here in Masbate) get registered at the Police Station - but only if they actually go to a Police Station. Easy to avoid, unless you end up there unwillingly. For the record, I am registered at both Masbate City and Mobo. However, my confidence level that the two registrations are identical is quite low (all the same information was given to both). In one of the 2 stations (no names, no pack drill) I was given a copy of a form completed by another foreigner and asked to change whatever was “different”! By now, there’s probably another Paddy around here😆

• Like 1

RogerDuMond
6 hours ago, Paddy said:

Not really. All the legislation exists to prevent it. However, the systems required to keep track of what’s going on are either ineffective or non-existent. (And that applies to more than just immigration)

I disagree, I know of several municipalities (mine included), where the PNP is following the government mandate that all foreigners are to be registered.

They visit all the known foreigners in the municipality and collect their information.

I can't tell you whether they share this information with other divisions of the government or not, but I can verify that they are collecting the information.

• Like 1

to_dave007
1 hour ago, RogerDuMond said:

I disagree, I know of several municipalities (mine included), where the PNP is following the government mandate that all foreigners are to be registered.

They visit all the known foreigners in the municipality and collect their information.

I can't tell you whether they share this information with other divisions of the government or not, but I can verify that they are collecting the information.

Not happening here in Tuburan..  Couple years ago one Austrian guy was jailed (at the BI jail in Mandaue) for couple months after he was caught having overstayed about 9 years.  He's a senior..  and has diminished capacity..  and his sister was willing to pay his overstay costs..  and BI worked with him..  and today he's fully paid.. and here on 13A instead. Not sure how he got caught..  may well have been his wife who reported him.  She's a real gem of a human being... (yea..  NOT !) 

But to my knowledge no police inventory of foreigners living here. I think they tried once..  and it didn't get far.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 1

HeyMike

Many years ago the police in Barili came to my house and asked to see my passport and took down the information in it. They were nice about it and apologetic about having to do it, but they said they were required to do it. I had no problem with it. I probably offered them a beer.

Bama

Have noted expats here in TTown letting their DL and/or car registrations expire.

I asked one of them about this once. Don't you think that you attract enough attention to yourself living here as a foreigner without driving around with a sticker on your cars front windshield proclaiming to all that you haven't registered your car for several years? His response was---well, a lot of Filipinos don't register their cars either so why not me?

OT a bit--when we moved into this house a couple of years ago, 2 women with clipboards were seen asking the the younger nieces out in the front yard about the wife's and mine personal data. They didn't know anything so they didn't tell them anything. Nobody ever asked us anything in person and we never knew until much later that this was a gov. requirement.

Headshot
2 hours ago, RogerDuMond said:

I am perfectly legal, but nobody, other than BI, has ever collected any information on me. Neither the city nor the barangay has ever checked. I think it all depends on whether or not your LGU (local government unit) gets a wild hair up their ass to try to get a handle on the foreigners living in their area. I suspect that the vast majority of LGUs never do anything they aren't forced to do.

• Like 2

RogerDuMond
32 minutes ago, HeyMike said:

Many years ago the police in Barili came to my house and asked to see my passport and took down the information in it. They were nice about it and apologetic about having to do it, but they said they were required to do it. I had no problem with it. I probably offered them a beer.

2 minutes ago, Headshot said:

I think it all depends on whether or not your LGU (local government unit) gets a wild hair up their ass to try to get a handle on the foreigners living in their area.

It was only about 6 months ago here. It is part of the PNP crime prevention initiative and has nothing to do with local government. They were very nice here also and made sure that I had a number to call if I have any problems. They didn't ask for my passport, but I did show them my ACR card.

It was the chief and two officers including a cute female. Two of them came back twice, once because she wanted to see the animals, and once because she said that she misplaced some of the information. 

Davaoeno
3 hours ago, RogerDuMond said:

including a cute female. Two of them came back twice,

Roger- You're the man !! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

cookie47

We had a form arrive about 6 months ago. (for all residents of our Subdivision) 

Heading was Municipality of Consolacion. 

Very basic info requested. 

Names and number of persons at address 

Addresses 

DOB

Nationality 

Religion. 

No other identifying paperwork requested...