Jump to content
Paddy

Globe at Home - Cellular - Homesurf

Recommended Posts

Paddy

Folks may recall that I have bemoaned the internet service in my little slice of paradise. Our location requires a router with an external antenna - not the norm for the current crop of Globe routers. 

However we have now managed to get a Globe “openline” SIM into our existing router and activate it for Homesurf. 
I’m testing with a Homesurf 599 promo. 40GB data valid for 15 days. So far so good. I measured the connection using ookla this morning 5MBPS both up and down. For those of you with 20+ etc that’s nice but we’ve never had more than 1 for any length of time before!

The other good thing Is that Homesurf does not appear to be limited by the old Globe “fair use” policy that always throttled us within 2 hours before. 
 

Also, the local cable company is getting closer and did a survey on us yesterday. Maybe, just maybe there is fibre to the bukid in our future!😀

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Banacon

I am on small island also, using globe at home prepaid. I get the 30 day, 65 gb deal. Currently have 88gb as I roll it over before it expires. Works fairly well, my Alexa with thinks we are in montana, but works fine with amazon music subscription..did not work with pocket wifi.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paddy

F858C731-7385-4713-84C8-E9316B0B68A1.jpeg.61a86e55c5c156a1b3b03487d5bc03a5.jpeg

Even after only 24hours this is by far the best service we’ve had. However, I shall wait for the good or bad news from the cable company before I go crazy with the 1499 option!

It’s not really surprising that I have been frustrated with the service before. We have used 6GB in 24 hours. Now all I need to do is find out which devices and which apps are consuming all that data!

(Our router is an older, unlocked T-Mobile unit that looks “a bit like” a Globe router but the Huawei management app wants to update the firmware before doing anything else! As a result, I don’t think I have access to any function that will show usage by connected device)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Banacon

I bought my globe at home router in cebu..comes with 10gb..but it did not work at first,  no antenna..our antenna is on a tall bamboo pole, pointed toward tower in ubay, bohol..alexa uses about 1 gb a day. We gave wife's sister in law a kindle for her 2 year old, but sil uses facebook on it..kindle always does updates to apps, constantly. So when she sits out on patio, uses about 2 gb..but not daily..I think ubay is about 10 miles away, I see it from top of our moto (hill). House is on lower side of hill..

Edited by Banacon
Correct sentence
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paddy

I have yet to see the free 10GB 😀

I suspect it’s because when I registered the Openline SIM I had to skip the step that said “select your router” (none of them worked) and do a “manual” registration instead. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
easy44

I bought the Globe at Home postpaid service here in the middle of nowhere Leyte. There is nothing else available. We don't get Smart at all.  The service is 10 mb but we are lucky to get 3, only occasionally 8-10. When we signed up it was a solid 10 for about a month, then as in just about everything here the service degraded. We have an outside antenna with a 10 ft extension on top of the pole it comes with. They make it easy to subscribe, only 1 ID needed and 1000p installation. 1299/month includes router and "landline" phone.  We got a promo rate of 150gb per month usage, which we have never exceeded.  It's not great but it is useable and the best we can do for now.  Much better than the pocket wifi we were using before.

Edited by easy44

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BossHog
18 hours ago, Paddy said:

We have used 6GB in 24 hours. Now all I need to do is find out which devices and which apps are consuming all that data!

If you're using Windows turn on "set as metered connection". Might help a bit with excessive bandwidth use.

Open the start menu and select Settings.

Click the Network and Internet link.

Click the Manage known network link under your existing connection.

Choose the network you're currently using from the list of available ones.

Click Properties.

Find the Metered connection section and toggle the switch to On.

 

17 hours ago, Banacon said:

kindle always does updates to apps, constantly

To turn off the automatic updates on a Kindle...

Open the Quick settings menu.

Tap on More.

Go to Applications > Amazon Applications.

Tap on App Store Automatic Updates.

Uncheck Enable Automatic Updates.

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paddy

Tips appreciated @BossHog

No windows in use during the period but my 2 iphones (where you can’t turn off WiFi by app) and a bunch of android phones which are probably the gluttons. 

I will find out eventually!😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paddy
4 hours ago, easy44 said:

I bought the Globe at Home postpaid service here in the middle of nowhere Leyte. There is nothing else available. We don't get Smart at all.  The service is 10 mb but we are lucky to get 3, only occasionally 8-10. When we signed up it was a solid 10 for about a month, then as in just about everything here the service degraded. We have an outside antenna with a 10 ft extension on top of the pole it comes with. They make it easy to subscribe, only 1 ID needed and 1000p installation. 1299/month includes router and "landline" phone.  We got a promo rate of 150gb per month usage, which we have never exceeded.  It's not great but it is useable and the best we can do for now.  Much better than the pocket wifi we were using before.

We have about 40ft of guyed GI pipe for a 2x2 MIMO antenna to get over the hills and through the wet, waving palm fronds. It works fairly well and has done for a number of years. 

The difference has been the openline SIM and Homesurf. Previous GoSurf loads just die when they’re trapped by the fair use policy - which obviously does not apply to Homesurf. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dafey
1 hour ago, Paddy said:

my 2 iphones (where you can’t turn off WiFi by app) and a bunch of android phones which are probably the gluttons. 

I may not be understanding the issue but our Iphones can turn off wifi in the settings

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Salty Dog
18 minutes ago, Dafey said:

I may not be understanding the issue but our Iphones can turn off wifi in the settings

I think he means you can't set it up to turn off WiFi automatically when a piticular app is in use.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jawny

If an iPhone has automatic updates set to ON, then perhaps the iPhone is using your router even when apps are closed.  Easy to turn this off in settings.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paddy

Wifi and iPhones...

Cellular Data and Wifi can be switched on/off for the whole phone.

The use of Cellular Data can also be controlled on an App by App basis.

The use of Wifi cannot be controlled on an App by App basis (unless you are prepared to jailbreak the phone). 

As Jawny said, there is control of automatic and background updates.

Its not really my iphones that are the problem 😀. Neither of them use much data that I am unaware of. 


I have a lot less familiarity with Android. 

There are routers and apps out there now that let you see/control data usage by connected device. Unfortunately our router isn’t one of them in its current state. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
easy44
2 hours ago, Paddy said:

We have about 40ft of guyed GI pipe for a 2x2 MIMO antenna to get over the hills and through the wet, waving palm fronds. It works fairly well and has done for a number of years. 

The difference has been the openline SIM and Homesurf. Previous GoSurf loads just die when they’re trapped by the fair use policy - which obviously does not apply to Homesurf. 

Our problem is not reception, I don't think. The Huawei router shows 3 bars, which is as high as it goes. The speed varies from very good night and early morning to slow, afternoon and evening. Usually I would think too many subscribers, but there really aren't very many out where we live. The cell tower is relatively close but lots of hills around us.  I complain often but the techs stopped coming by because they can't find anything wrong on my end.  They say it's the tower and it should be fixed in 2 days (after calling Manila).  Of course it never is and I finally stopped calling.  I'm waiting for Elon Musk to get his satellites up and running. Last hope! Hahaha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paddy
42 minutes ago, easy44 said:

Our problem is not reception, I don't think. The Huawei router shows 3 bars, which is as high as it goes. The speed varies from very good night and early morning to slow, afternoon and evening. Usually I would think too many subscribers, but there really aren't very many out where we live. The cell tower is relatively close but lots of hills around us.  I complain often but the techs stopped coming by because they can't find anything wrong on my end.  They say it's the tower and it should be fixed in 2 days (after calling Manila).  Of course it never is and I finally stopped calling.  I'm waiting for Elon Musk to get his satellites up and running. Last hope! Hahaha.

Historically it’s been much the same here - except the Openline SIM and Homesurf seem to be less affected by it. 

Possibly it is contention but our current configuration gets a higher priority at the tower? Our use is being measured differently now - total consumption (per promo) versus the fair use policy - which seems to be looking (constantly) at throughput. 

I used to think it was EM propagation reacting to changing temps and humidity etc. Now, I’m not so sure...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..