Throw Away (Onward) Tickets

• Administrator
Dafey
12 hours ago, Dafey said:

Good to see you posting B...

I buy a full fare refundable on CC and refund it at my leisure.

BTW...just flew back from US on PAL. I'm BB and PAL being well versed in the visa didn't even ask to show my return ticket. Almost made up for the crappy flight!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Dafey said:

BTW...just flew back from US on PAL. I'm BB and PAL being well versed in the visa didn't even ask to show my return ticket. Almost made up for the crappy flight!

What documentation do you carry to prove BB? What have they ever asked for? Was your spouse with you?

HeyMike
50 minutes ago, Daddle said:

What documentation do you carry to prove BB? What have they ever asked for? Was your spouse with you?

Your spouse needs to be with you when you go to the immigration window for a bb. I always bring a copy of our marriage certificate, but I have never been asked to show it.

54 minutes ago, Daddle said:

I just flew from Manila to Taipei, Taiwan with my spouse. From Taipei to Manila, the Cebu Pacific staff asked me how long my stay was in the PH. I told them that I live there and my spouse was with me. They looked through my passport, called a manager over, and she knew what a BB stamp was. She typed some stuff into the computer and the staff printed our boarding passes. At Manila, my spouse asked the immigration officer for a BB stamp for me and gave him our passports and a copy of our marriage certificate. He asked her in Tagalog what city we were married in and then gave me a 1 year stamp.  

If I recall from the previous posts on topic of balikbayan privilege and NOT needing a return ticket, the main issue was with the airlines being convinced the privilege is a real thing.  As well, some members of LinC indicated the only times immigration may ask for a marriage contract is when the wife’s passport still has her unmarried name. 

• Administrator
Dafey
1 hour ago, Daddle said:

We carry Marriage certificate and copies of dual citizenship, birth certificates, her Philippine passport and US passports. Only needed all that the first time. After we received  BB stamps in the PPs the 1st time the Immigration agent will then see that and issue a new one each time, no questions. If you get a new PP carry the old one to show your old stamps.

As far as the airline it's a crap shoot, but PAL and Cebu Pacific know the BB rules and usually don't require an outbound ticket.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Administrator
Dafey

Also I got this from a Member here and may help if you run into an issue with the airline...it talks about sending a foriegner back if they don't have a return ticket, except BB...

image.png.7ae16f7a5844d3b12b4f6e1461c318bc.png

• Thanks 2

Great info team! Thank you for sharing the reality of the process, your experience.

• Like 1

Ask the ticket agent at the counter to check timatic database

it states now that BB's do not need an onward nor a return ticket

try check here:

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/

you will see same info as the agent

I searched everywhere before but take a tip from a Cebu Pacific sales clerk who said, " Go online and do it yourself sirrr. Search for promos". 

Best price as yet was fuel charge only. 

• Administrator
Salty Dog

I used to get my return/throw away ticket for a long time in the future. That way I could use it several times.

There has been discussion in the past though, that it needed to be within the 30 or 59 day period. I don't know of anyone ever being held to that though.

Of course once we were married, I was a BB and never had any question about return tickets. We only ever traveled back and forth to South East Asia countries on regional airlines who apparently were familiar with the rules.

3 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

There has been discussion in the past though, that it needed to be within the 30 or 59 day period... 

I have read that before too and in my experience, it just needs to be an onward flight out of the PH (usually within 6-12 months because you can't book a ticket more than 9 months in the future). I had a real onward ticket 6 months after my free 30 day "tourist" visa would expire and the staff at the airport were ok with it. If someone asked, I said I would renew my tourist visa in the Philippines for another 30 days, etc until the 6 months was used up and then leave the country. 

China Airlines once forced me to have a 30 day (29?) return. I had a 60 day MNL/USA R/T. Insane. In those cases I just get a full fare ticket from a major airline to HK or whatever. Takes about 2 minutes while standing aside at the counter. Then cancel it while waiting at the gate. Pretty trivial. Free, but could tie up CC funds for a few days if your limit is low. Quicker than arguing. For that and several other bad experiences I avoid flying thru China now.

On 10/27/2019 at 7:05 PM, savarity said:

More recently, I've just used the 24 hour free cancellation method discussed above, from any US based carrier. ie, United. Doesn't have to be Expedia. This is a US law requirement that full, free, refunds be given up to 24 hours.

-Never been on a greater than 24 hour flight (are there any continuous 24 hour flights to PI? I don't think so), but if it was a multi-segment, greater than 24hour, in theory you could book another ticket half-way through at a layover stop and then cancel your first. That way you would still have a valid ticket when you pass immigration.

-These are valid, real tickets. Not fake. They will pass any requirement or check that immigration or an airline will make.

-Electronic methods of showing a ticket, boarding pass, itinerary, etc to an immigration officer or guard is part of PI law and largely understood in all the airports at PI . A printout is not essential.

-Obviously this wouldn't work if you carry ZERO electronics with you. No laptop, no phone. Otherwise it works quite well.

-Almost all airports offer wifi these days. Mobile data cards are available at the smart and globe kiosks in the airports at PI. So, forgetting to cancel your ticket is more of a risk than not having Internet access to cancel a ticket.

Except for the possibility to forget, there are very few downsides to this method. Cancelling a fully refundable ticket often has a fee, sometimes a high one. By contrast, this method costs nothing.

Yes !

On 10/27/2019 at 5:44 PM, Dafey said:

Good to see you posting B...

I buy a full fare refundable on CC and refund it at my leisure.

Thanks ! Leisure is a good thing