rrider

Retiring in the Philippines

rrider

I wonder if anyone has heard, or know of some alleged new rules for foreigners living/retiring in the Philippines? I heard the Government wants to make up some new rules for foreigners who want to live/retire there, like being allowed to stay in the Philippines for only 2 years, then the have to leave and come back?  and every foreigner needs to have some kind of medical insurance (other then Phil Health), to be able to live there?  That's all I heard, could be more, I don't know. Something to do of a certain nationality of people who have been abusing the system???? Rules could be for them and not some others??

Jawny

There have been recent reports of large groups of Chinese citizens overstaying tourist  visas while performing work for online gambling activities.  Arrests will be in the dozens of these individuals, typically holed up in some hotel with a lot of online computers catering to Chinese clients.  This creates the knee jerk reactions you’d expect, so you may have heard that from your sources.

A form of Universal Health Care has been passed into law earlier this year.  Seems to basically provide assurances that all Filipino citizens have address to health care.  

https://www.rappler.com/newsbreak/iq/226810-explanation-what-filipinos-can-expect-universal-health-care-law

Doesn't seem to have any impact on foreigners, tourists or otherwise.  Not sure how a foreigner can abuse a system that is set up as a pay as you go coverage.  Even Philhealth will not cover medications in many instances so being admitted to the hospital still requires some sort of cash payment with no expectation of reimbursement. 

• Like 1

lamoe
2 hours ago, rrider said:

I wonder if anyone has heard, or know of some alleged new rules for foreigners living/retiring in the Philippines? I heard the Government wants to make up some new rules for foreigners who want to live/retire there, like being allowed to stay in the Philippines for only 2 years, then the have to leave and come back?  and every foreigner needs to have some kind of medical insurance (other then Phil Health), to be able to live there?  That's all I heard, could be more, I don't know. Something to do of a certain nationality of people who have been abusing the system???? Rules could be for them and not some others??

The 2 years and leave is a reduction from the present 3?    Leaving just means a short tip (same day turn around = $100 or less) then start Visa process over

Most Americans here do have additional healthcare (depending on age (Medicare A), military status (retired / disabled), work affiliation (union)) other than Philhealth- not sure about others

• Like 1

Gus

The Health Insurance issue is about to be introduced in Thailand for a certain visa category that affects over 50's ( OA non immigrant , retirement extension) .. this is creating lots of panic in the forums and coffee shops, causing people to say they are moving on.
For the over 70 currently uninsured, it will be a nightmare to get insured.

There appear to be loopholes for some visa categories at the moment , and the concensus seems to be let's wait until November, when it comes in..and see !

If you're a bit bored, and have an hour or so to spare, jump on the ThaiVisa forum as a guest one day .
A bit of a read ,will have you feeling much better about Philippines visa conditions ..

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

• Like 2

liquido
3 hours ago, Gus said:

The Health Insurance issue is about to be introduced in Thailand for a certain visa category that affects over 50's ( OA non immigrant , retirement extension) .. this is creating lots of panic in the forums and coffee shops, causing people to say they are moving on.
For the over 70 currently uninsured, it will be a nightmare to get insured.

There appear to be loopholes for some visa categories at the moment , and the concensus seems to be let's wait until November, when it comes in..and see !

If you're a bit bored, and have an hour or so to spare, jump on the ThaiVisa forum as a guest one day .
A bit of a read ,will have you feeling much better about Philippines visa conditions ..

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

I think for a long time Thailand has been saying come to Thailand spend your money but do not stay..

• Like 1

RedRanger
15 hours ago, rrider said:

Even though the Philippines Government is very racist, I don't see them imposing rules on a certain country.

The guys I  know who have moved to Philippines married young pinays and then after 20 years they have moved to PI and use the Balikbayan exemption to stay in the Philippines.  The latest one just put his wife in law school 

Jack Rat
16 hours ago, RedRanger said:

Even though the Philippines Government is very racist, I don't see them imposing rules on a certain country.

The guys I  know who have moved to Philippines married young pinays and then after 20 years they have moved to PI and use the Balikbayan exemption to stay in the Philippines.  The latest one just put his wife in law school 

I think the long term plan is to discourage cash strapped tourists who wish to reside here.  I am sure the tourists who have some means, at least having a pension or sufficient savings will continue to be welcomed with open arms. Where else in the world is it so easy to obtain a visa and be able to stay for up to three years?

Understandably no country wants fly-by-nighters  who may eventually be a financial burden to their country. If one doesn't like the current rules simply stay away, because Filipinos are not going to change their laws for the sake of a few whinging foreigners.   

• Like 1

savarity

Just rumors, and rumors I ONLY hear from expats, or on forums. Possibly some weird paranoia or jealousy involved.

Over the past 5 years the Philippines has only made is EASIER, not harder, for foreign nationals to stay here. The current president tried to crack down on immigration corruption and was in charge while the process was streamlined and more doors opened for citizens of different nations to stay longer.

Unlike other SEA nations, there's no indication that PI will tighten requirements in the near-term.

• Like 2

Jack Rat
35 minutes ago, savarity said:

Just rumors, and rumors I ONLY hear from expats, or on forums. Possibly some weird paranoia or jealousy involved.

Over the past 5 years the Philippines has only made is EASIER, not harder, for foreign nationals to stay here. The current president tried to crack down on immigration corruption and was in charge while the process was streamlined and more doors opened for citizens of different nations to stay longer.

Unlike other SEA nations, there's no indication that PI will tighten requirements in the near-term.

I heard five yeas ago the world was going to end in 2017, still waiting!

• Like 1

savarity

Thought about this more, and the only possible "abusing" of the system is if a person was working here without the proper visa, and that's just a crime, not "abusing" a legitimate system.

I bet the 3 year, with 6 month extension, tourist visa system has been a big win for the finances of the Philippines. Besides the fees, I bet it adds a lot of hard currency to the economy.

In my own experience, I picked the Philippines specificly due to the easy visa requirements. Even though other nations have better healthcare systems, which is mostly what I was looking for over the past several years. Taking a look back on my records, I've spent an average of $43k USD a year here, with a low of $32k and high of $78k. Instead, that would have been added to the economy of another nation if it hadn't been for the Philippines' visa policy.

Now lets consider some cash-strapped long term visitor. Eating rice, wearing flip-flops, and renting a 3k peso a month room. Sure, that's not the type of visitor they hope to attract, but what wear and tear does this person actually do on the infrastructure? Besides walking on a sidewalk (not that there are so many of those around cities here) he doesn't really 'take' much of anything from society.

The Philippines doesn't really give out free healthcare, housing, or such. So tightning up requirements, all due to worry about a few cash-strapped visitors, would probably end up being worse for the economy overall.

• Like 4

Headshot
3 hours ago, Jack Rat said:

I heard five yeas ago the world was going to end in 2017, still waiting!

You need to stop listening to those voices in your head. They don't know what they are talking about...   :crazy:

Jack Rat
6 hours ago, savarity said:

Thought about this more, and the only possible "abusing" of the system is if a person was working here without the proper visa, and that's just a crime, not "abusing" a legitimate system.

I bet the 3 year, with 6 month extension, tourist visa system has been a big win for the finances of the Philippines. Besides the fees, I bet it adds a lot of hard currency to the economy.

In my own experience, I picked the Philippines specificly due to the easy visa requirements. Even though other nations have better healthcare systems, which is mostly what I was looking for over the past several years. Taking a look back on my records, I've spent an average of $43k USD a year here, with a low of $32k and high of $78k. Instead, that would have been added to the economy of another nation if it hadn't been for the Philippines' visa policy.

Now lets consider some cash-strapped long term visitor. Eating rice, wearing flip-flops, and renting a 3k peso a month room. Sure, that's not the type of visitor they hope to attract, but what wear and tear does this person actually do on the infrastructure? Besides walking on a sidewalk (not that there are so many of those around cities here) he doesn't really 'take' much of anything from society.

The Philippines doesn't really give out free healthcare, housing, or such. So tightning up requirements, all due to worry about a few cash-strapped visitors, would probably end up being worse for the economy overall.

All seems good until these guys have a major heath problem, what then? 

RogerDuMond
39 minutes ago, Jack Rat said:

They die.

• Like 1

savarity
As I mentioned, the Philippines doesn't really hand out free healthcare. So the burden to the state is likely to be minimal.