wondersailor

Another 6.5 quake for.us at 9:11 AM

• Thanks 1

GBT62

• Like 1

JohnSurrey
3 hours ago, wondersailor said:

Yeah - is damage by earthquake normally covered by insurance here?

Davaoeno

the first pic is a condo development in Davao .  The second pic is a hotel in Kidapawanreceived_2393853774023811.thumb.jpeg.fc953f56b51bb36a4b3cc83b00651a07.jpeg

FB_IMG_1572489414036.jpg

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 2

RedRanger
6 hours ago, wondersailor said:

that 3 in the 6 range in the last week or so

Davaoeno
2 hours ago, JohnSurrey said:

Yeah - is damage by earthquake normally covered by insurance here?

Only for those who bought earthquake insurance .

• Like 1

RedRanger
On 10/21/2019 at 4:48 AM, wondersailor said:

Yesterday here. All malls, all grocery stores closed. The biggest, G mall, will be closed till Dec. The others don't know but judging from what I saw probably Dec. too. I had to jump on a bus to SM in Davao for groceries on Saturday. This is going to get old real fast.

Is that the mall in Toril just after you pass the military check point entering Davao City?  

wondersailor
4 hours ago, RedRanger said:

Is that the mall in Toril just after you pass the military check point entering Davao City?  

Yup. Was there first time 3 days ago

Edited by wondersailor
Add content

liquido
16 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

the first pic is a condo development in Davao .  The second pic is a hotel in Kidapawanreceived_2393853774023811.thumb.jpeg.fc953f56b51bb36a4b3cc83b00651a07.jpeg

FB_IMG_1572489414036.jpg

Wow...Thats the Eva Hotel in Kidapawan where my friend USE to stay in the past..I heard it was condemned last year cause no fire escape.. 

RedRanger
20 hours ago, wondersailor said:

Yup. Was there first time 3 days ago

I found Digos City in 2007 and spent about 3 months per year there up until around 2011.  Digos only had one gmall that was very small, we would go into Davao City for entertainment and malling, long before SM Lanang and Abreeza malls were built.

No traffic and Davao City was a hidden gem to go to.  Now of day the traffic is horrible in Davao City.  We ride motorbikes from Digos to Toril and traffic is good and flowing, once you past Toril it a freaking nightmare for the most part. 

wondersailor

On Saturday , my girlfriend, members of her family and I headed out by jeepney to some of the areas most badly hit by the 3 quakes and the more then 350 aftershocks. We had purchased food and water from what ever "mom and pop" stores that were open in Digos as all main markets are closed. We first headed to Bansalan relief center to donate half of our supplies and then headed to Magsaysay to donate the rest. The center of Bansalan is corded off for fear of collapsing buildings. On Sunday we headed out again back to Magsaysay to check on family and then to northern Bansalan with bags of rice and water. From northern Bansalan heading toward Kidapawan looks like a war zone with most cinder block homes missing walls, totally collapsed or at the least unsafe to live. The area is a sea of blue tarps used as shelters. On the road stood groups of people, begging for water, rice or whatever they could get to survive. The entire highway heading for Kidapawan was like this. I saw no humanitarian relief being offered on Saturday. No government relief vehicles, no non government vehicles stoping to help and very, very limited army presence. On Sunday was a different story as far as non government vehicles bringing food, water, tarps and supplies to the ravaged. Local people people helping their neighbors. Still not government relief vehicles and very limited army presence. 

To give credit.where due, I do understand Davao City had dispatched water trucks to isolated communities hard hit. But I saw no other governmental relief at work. I did see massive private relief. These residents need it.

My own personal thought is that since Mindanao's favorite son did not think it was a high enough priority to visit the area, the rest of the bureaucracy followed his lead. I hope that is not true. My travel into the area was limited and can only report on what I saw and what I did not see.

I did take photos of relief centers and badly damaged public buildings but the image size is too great for this forum. I took no pictures of people or of their suffering as that is well beyond disrespectful, in my opinion.

• Thanks 4