Ozepete

Earthquake near Davao (16 Oct 2019)

Ozepete

My wife and our niece are staying at the Marco Polo in Davao and she just rang me very frightened, as there has been a 6.4 earthquake nearby.  All OK as they are on standby outside the hotel under instruction.  Seems to be well organised... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

PhilsFan

Wife showed me pic's of the Gen San Mall...pretty bad. The family house near Digo's got some cracks in the wall. They were lucky. 

• Like 1

wondersailor

There was a rumor started of a forming tsunami off the Digos beach which spread very quickly. The entire city packed into any motorized vehicle heading toward Bansalan (higher ground). The roads were so packed that it took us almost an hour and a half to reach the highway to Bansalan. Of course, no tsunami.The quake The quake was 6.3 with epicenter.N. Cotabato. A good shake.

• Thanks 1

RedRanger
5 hours ago, wondersailor said:

There was a rumor started of a forming tsunami off the Digos beach which spread very quickly. The entire city packed into any motorized vehicle heading toward Bansalan (higher ground). The roads were so packed that it took us almost an hour and a half to reach the highway to Bansalan. Of course, no tsunami.The quake The quake was 6.3 with epicenter.N. Cotabato. A good shake.

My nephew sent me viber saying the roads were packed with people leaving, he lives in Digos next to the national highway. 

Make sense now why, I didn't understand why they were packed

RedRanger
7 hours ago, wondersailor said:

Said the ocean dropped in some areas of Digos that is what triggered the panic.

All 3 malls are closed due to the quake.  

wondersailor
20 minutes ago, RedRanger said:

Said the ocean dropped in some areas of Digos that is what triggered the panic.

All 3 malls are closed due to the quake.  

Rumors spread faster then wild fire here ! No chance of a tsunami as quake was inland some distance from the ocean. I evacuated too as it was easier then arguing with a crazed Filipina! All malls and most recent sized businesses were closed today for inspection in Digos. Many have damage.

• Thanks 1

Ozepete
On 10/17/2019 at 1:20 AM, Ozepete said:

My wife and our niece are staying at the Marco Polo in Davao and she just rang me very frightened, as there has been a 6.4 earthquake nearby.  All OK as they are on standby outside the hotel under instruction.  Seems to be well organised... 

Following my post here, I received a PM from a well known Davao member offering assistance if needed.  This is a terrific example of LinC friendship and very much appreciated especially as we have never met and only know him through the forum.  

• Like 6

Davaoeno
7 hours ago, Ozepete said:

Following my post here, I received a PM from a well known Davao member offering assistance if needed.  This is a terrific example of LinC friendship and very much appreciated especially as we have never met and only know him through the forum.  

download.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

fred42
22 hours ago, wondersailor said:

Rumors spread faster then wild fire here ! No chance of a tsunami as quake was inland some distance from the ocean. I evacuated too as it was easier then arguing with a crazed Filipina! All malls and most recent sized businesses were closed today for inspection in Digos. Many have damage.

How did you know the epicenter was on land and not at sea at that time?

wondersailor
29 minutes ago, fred42 said:

How did you know the epicenter was on land and not at sea at that time?

NDRRMC sent a text message to my neighbor's phone a little over an hour after the quake. We did not hear about the tsunami rumor till about a half hour later. I Didi not get a first text till 6:19 the next morning.

• Like 1

wondersailor

As a matter of fact we just had another Aftershock approx. 15 minutes ago that brought the neighborhood out into the street. I just came in. No one brought any beer so I was not staying. 😆

RedRanger

Had two eartquakes today from what I heard in Digos. All the Malls are still closed