Toilet installation

Will be installing bathroom fixtures  - sink, toilet, shower, in our bathroom in Bohol

Have put in more than one in US  - today looked at one in condo - looks like it is "cemented" to floor - the never need replacement philosophy?

Don't remember seeing  installation items (wax rings, mounting ring / bolts)  in hardware  but then never looked

Before I waste a trip (out of stock = never had) are these available here?

Edit: found this vid on YouTube  - still prefer non-cemented in place method :rolleyes:

https://youtu.be/892RkdbWvCY

Can not be embedded

Edited by lamoe
13 minutes ago, lamoe said:

Before I waste a trip (out of stock = never had) are these available here?

Have seen the wax rings for sale quite often.

Have never seen the mounting flange or the bolts to go with it.Perhaps others have.

Word of warning---------I got bit once when buying a toilet here that had TWO discharges holes in the bottom of the seat base.

Perhaps others have seen this---I never had in the states. The two holes certainly complicated things.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Bama said:

Have seen the wax rings for sale quite often.

Have never seen the mounting flange or the bolts to go with it.Perhaps others have.

Word of warning---------I got bit once when buying a toilet here that had TWO discharges holes in the bottom of the seat base.

Perhaps others have seen this---I never had in the states. The two holes certainly complicated things.

Delivering today - American Standard brand

Will check when arrives

Wax rings and mounting flanges are available, but I don't  recall which hardware store I’ve seen them at.  Lazada will almost certainly have them.  cement use is common, because it is, well, common.  I had a contractor install some pipes for plumbing and then cover it with cement.  I hadn’t known this till it was already done.  He explained, it is because of earthquakes.  Of course, the truth was, he had used old pvc removed from another project which was in such poor condition that the cement would hide the leaks.  I discovered this when a skills guy tried to repair a pipe with a leak so bad it was obvious.  His first choice was to use vulcaseal to repair a leaking pipe. 

No flange, no wax seal, and cemented is common here in Masbate. We have had 3 toilets installed by 2 different plumbers - same method each time. 

I was scratching my head when I saw the first toilet. I went with the flow, so to speak, on numbers 2 and 3. 

• Haha 1

Delivered - 1 holler

Took a vid of the vid

Noticed he used a plastic cement that didn't set immediately?

Primed both flange tube and discharge tube  - then put on 2nd coat - inserted flange tube into discharge and set Joliet on flange to seat and adjust it

Particular type?

Lazada - stick it on stick it in

image.thumb.png.0a59b9f289ecc218891f95bcd6a3d2cc.png

????

Edited by lamoe
Headshot

When we remodeled our house, the plumber wanted to just cement down the toilets because that was how he was used to doing it. However, I had specified that wax ring and bolts be used to prevent leaks and hold the toilets down. So he did it my way. I haven't had a single problem with my toilets as a result (but if I do, I know that the toilet can be removed and the problem can be fixed). If a toilet is cemented to the floor, the only way you can fix a problem is to bust the toilet out and replace it.

• Like 1

My neighbor had the bathroom/cr retiled, the toilet was reused even if it was cemented down

8 minutes ago, Headshot said:

When we remodeled our house, the plumber wanted to just cement down the toilets because that was how he was used to doing it. However, I had specified that wax ring and bolts be used to prevent leaks and hold the toilets down. So he did it my way. I haven't had a single problem with my toilets as a result (but if I do, I know that the toilet can be removed and the problem can be fixed). If a toilet is cemented to the floor, the only way you can fix a problem is to bust the toilet out and replace it.

Where did you get the ring flange that's bolted to floor and then toilet bolted to it?

I can see why  muddling in is preferred if floor is lumpy

Leaving for Bohol next on the 26th / 27 th

Lazada has toilet floor bolts.  May not meet your time schedule. Again, I know I’ve seen the bolts you’re describing in well stocked hardware stores.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jawny said:

Lazada has toilet floor bolts.  May not meet your time schedule. Again, I know I’ve seen the bolts you’re describing in well stocked hardware stores.  

Going  back to Cebu hardware - not there will try Citi in Talisay

Edited by lamoe
Headshot

The ring flange is glued on the end of the sewer pipe (which makes using good quality sewer pipe very important), not bolted to the floor. The top of the flange should be even with the final surface of the floor. Otherwise, you will get leaks. If installed properly, the bolts on the side of the toilet not only mash the wax ring to prevent leaks, but they also hold the toilet down, so it doesn't rock (something that will occur if the top of the flange is above the floor surface). It has been a while since we did this, but I believe they got the flanges and wax rings at Wilcon. Most of our supplies came from there.

43 minutes ago, Headshot said:

The ring flange is glued on the end of the sewer pipe (which makes using good quality sewer pipe very important), not bolted to the floor. The top of the flange should be even with the final surface of the floor. Otherwise, you will get leaks. If installed properly, the bolts on the side of the toilet not only mash the wax ring to prevent leaks, but they also hold the toilet down, so it doesn't rock (something that will occur if the top of the flange is above the floor surface). It has been a while since we did this, but I believe they got the flanges and wax rings at Wilcon. Most of our supplies came from there.

Different method

I am partial to this one due to some forgiveness in height if  tile installed first - As I've always done - then  small bead of latex caulk to finish

Given how "level" the tile is here I can see why it's not done

Ring flange semi-permanent

Ring Flange - Wax ring w/ discharge flange

image.png.bb2170beed5389ffae410d3c5d59785a.png

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 1

Ask a local plumber..If you find one in Bohol..Give me his contact details please!!!

Edited by fred42
14 minutes ago, fred42 said:

Ask a local plumber..If you find one in Bohol..Give me his contact details please!!!

No way am I going there and not have everything I need

"Out of stock (never had - never carry) is as you know even worse there