rrider

Medical Insurance

Headshot
4 hours ago, Dafey said:

I've had a hard time finding businesses that accept AmEx or Discover

Discover is a completely different story. With AMEX, all you have to do is ask if they have a BDO card reader (most businesses in the Philippines that take credit cards have these readers). If they do, then they can run an AMEX card. It will go through the same as a Visa card or a Mastercard. I have used my AMEX card at restaurants, hotels, supermarkets, retail stores, all over the place ... and I get miles for every centavo I have spent using the card. It is far more secure and convenient to carry a card than it is to carry large amounts of cash ... especially when we travel.

PS... Sorry Roger. I didn't see you post until after I had already posted. It was on topic though. Somebody said that many hospitals don't take credits cards, and that has not been my experience. Credit cards are certainly a viable way to pay for medical expenses.

Jawny

Is it possible to return to the topic of medical insurance?  I have interest in that topic. Glad to contribute to that topic. 

• Like 1

Salty Dog
On 10/16/2019 at 8:56 AM, rrider said:

Thanks guys, good info. But I am not worried about medical expenses there in Cebu...

...What I am wondering about, is what do we do for coverage for our visit in our home country for a stay of 2/3 months?

Maybe this was missed the first time he said it...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

rrider
9 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

Maybe this was missed the first time he said it...

Yep, totally missed what I was asking, but heh, that's ok lots of good feedback on what to do when your in the Philippines in regards to medical insurance. But when I research all these insurance companies they want an arm and a leg, and your first born to cover you when you get to be over 65 , and there is no way I can afford what there asking, so I guess when my time comes there will be nothing I can do, but go.

But I was thinking, is it possible to start a non for profit, co- op type of insurance for expats living abroad who can't afford the high cost of insurance? How many expats over 65 are living in the Philippines who are there because they can't afford to live in there own country on their limited pension, and could contribute $500/$1000 a year to help other expats with their medical, and someday their own? Just a thought.

• Haha 2

Soupeod
On 10/16/2019 at 6:50 AM, rrider said:

I'm on a limited income and can't afford to much,

I took this comment as ... not fully understanding the Filipino insurance situation as in addition to his Canadian situation.  

rrider

I think I have it all figured out now, I want to thank all you guys for all the good info here. that's what I like about this site. Always a lot of info to look into depending on one's situation.

• Like 1

Incierto

Hello rrider.

I live in British Columbia, but, spend a fair amount of time in the Phils.  I never much considered the situation of one who, like yourself, moves from Canada to the RP and still returns to Canada for periodic visits.  What to do about health coverage?  I lived in the PI for a few years back in the 90s and returned to Canada probably once a year in that time and simply rode bareback.  No insurance.  Now I am older and would be more hesitant about doing such a thing.

Your idea about starting a co-op sort of insurance firm for expats has a nice ring to it, but I cannot see it getting off the ground. Others here might have a better idea about just what it would take to get such a thing off the launchpad.  In its simplest form I suppose, one would set up some kind of a trust.  Not sure what would be the domicile of the trust.  Might be some issues in having it based in the Phils, particularly if being run by foreigners.  It would have to be staffed somehow.  Wages could eat up funds, so I suppose it would have to be staffed by trustworthy volunteers.  There would need to be a set of rules regarding payouts, what gets covered and to what extent, etc.  There would have to be method for resolving disputes over payouts.  There would have to be a method of verifying and dealing with claims from foreign lands.  There would have to be a method for setting collecting annual premiums. The whole concept just bristles with issues, but the main difficulty I can foresee would be chronic underfunding.  You are pitching the concept to an audience lacking deep pockets.  How would your feel after putting in, say, $1,000 a year for 5 years and then you make a claim, only to be told that the larder is bare?  

It is not difficult to foresee that the co-op would routinely be running in the red.  Those who would be inclined to jump on the bandwagon would be those likely to see themselves with the greatest need and least ability to pay.  If  draws exceed income, what could the co-op do?  I suppose it could act like a condominium corporation back in Canada and issue a "special levy" on all members, to get back into a positive funding situation.  But how many would pony up?  Unlike the condo corp, which can place liens, the co-op would have no ability to compel payment and those being asked might lack ability to pay more in any event.  

Also, when you refer to starting a co-op, are you thinking of coverage for strictly out-of-Philippines medical costs?  That was the import of your initial post - the high cost of insurance for periodic visits back in Canada.  But what you say below, suggests otherwise.

On 10/26/2019 at 9:15 AM, rrider said:

But I was thinking, is it possible to start a non for profit, co- op type of insurance for expats living abroad who can't afford the high cost of insurance? How many expats over 65 are living in the Philippines who are there because they can't afford to live in there own country on their limited pension, and could contribute $500/$1000 a year to help other expats with their medical, and someday their own? Just a thought.

The above suggests you are looking for a way to provide low-cost medical insurance in general, including in the Phils.  I am sure there are indeed many over-65 expats living in the Phils, and many would be interested in cheap, comprehensive coverage.  I am not sure how many really require or want coverage outside the Phils.  You refer to those who cannot afford the high cost of living in their own countries.  Those types tend not to fly back to those countries too often.

Anyway, those are just a few random thoughts.  Perhaps I am being too negative and others might see solutions where I tend to see obstacles.  

• Like 1

Salty Dog

Let's leave the moderation to the Mods.

If you have issues with something a Mod says or did, Report the Post, or send a PM to an Admin.

• Like 1

rrider
21 hours ago, Incierto said:

Anyway, those are just a few random thoughts.  Perhaps I am being too negative and others might see solutions where I tend to see obstacles.  

No, your not being to negative, thanks for the input. You are probably bang on, as is Incierto"s comment. I was just throwing some ideas around, not really thinking through the logistics.

Billy Johnson
On 10/16/2019 at 8:56 AM, rrider said:

Thanks guys, good info. But I am not worried about medical expenses there in Cebu. I have been hospitalized twice (for 3 days, both times), for stomach ailments, (damn, got to stop eating that street food, lol), and we paid cash both times, the cost was a lot cheaper then what I would have paid for the travel insurance. We will be looking into the Phil Health next year, when we get there in January. What I am wondering about, is what do we do for coverage for our visit in our home country for a stay of 2/3 months? What I discovered so far it's going to cost me anywhere from $560 to $650 US,  or more per month for international insurance, because of my age.  Which I think sucks, because I can probably run circles around guys 20 years younger then me lol. I wonder if we expats could start up some kind of international medical insurance co-op? do think it could be cheaper then the big insurance company's ? or maybe cost more?

Don’t take medical insurance lightly. I see foreigners say they will cover it, but get cancer and you need to come up with 2 million pesos then it’s a different story. All foreigners should have medical insurance 

rrider
11 hours ago, Billy Johnson said:

All foreigners should have medical insurance 

Easier said then done. but your right I guess. It's just who can afford the very high prices the insurance companies charge? If I'm right, most guys are retiring in the Philippines because their pension goes a lot farther there then it would in their home country, and even then it's hard to come up with money for insurance. So I guess some of us just have to roll the dice, and hope for the best.

• Like 2