rrider

Medical Insurance

cookie47
4 minutes ago, Jawny said:

The need for an ACR to register may be a catch 22.  An ACR can be gotten by choosing to get a voluntary ACR. If I recall, the process means going to Manila.

Yes spot on Jawny. 

I was accually prepared to go to Manila, "however" as it's called a "voluntary" application due to being on a BB, I was told by good authority it was not worth the paper it's printed on and still will not satisfy Phil Health. I'm not an expert on ACR-I cards (never accually seen one), but I'm told they are stamped/notated with various categories and being voluntary likely of no help to obtaining Phil Health. 

If I'm wrong please advise (anyone)...... 

• Like 1

Soupeod
8 hours ago, Jawny said:

Without a generous and responsive insurance carrier, it can be a serious issue to cover unplanned medical issues.  Even though the Philippines has less expensive medical care than in other countries, the bill can accumulate rather quickly.  I’m referring primarily to major ailments like heart surgery, etc.  Philhealth will cover some, but not all of these larger bills.  Unfortunately, most westerners will opt for a private room, and that will result in some very strict rules being applied to the patient regarding their bill settlement. In effect, pay, before you leave.  

To overcome this, a promissory note can be used, but that will require collateral.  Alternatively, a co-signer can be used and thus the patient is released.  Along with medical records and such.

Cash is king.  This will allow the bill to be settled and insurance matters resolved later.

Of course, if the OP remains in his home country before the move here, a large balance credit card can be arranged for ahead of time.  

We had minor surgery on our son yesterday.  We arrived (Farmers Doctor Hospital, Ormoc) and they processed us in, gave me a slip of paper, I went to the cashier window and he said we can use your card after the Doctors write up the final bill, just give us 10k pesos.  Paid the pesos, the surgery was completed, received the final bill, went back to the cashier window, he took my credit card and handed me back the 10k pesos.  Credit card worked fine and we were done.

• Like 1

RogerDuMond

From everything I can find, the only foreigners who can sign up for Philhealth are permanent residents who have retired here, or can legally work here. This is from the Philhealth website.

PhilHealth Expands Coverage to Foreign Nationals June 7, 2017

STARTING July 1, 2017, foreign nationals and former Filipino citizens who have chosen to retire in the Philippines may avail themselves of social health insurance benefits.

Under a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed in 2015 between the Philippine Health Insurance Corporation (PhilHealth) and the Philippine Retirement Authority (PRA), qualified foreign retirees who are registered with the PRA or former Filipinos may enrol under the Informal Economy member category to gain access to medical care services in the country.

The MoU aims to further strengthen the collaboration between the two government agencies to promote the country as a retirement haven for qualified foreigners.

Interested foreign retirees in the country may submit the properly filled out PhilHealth Member Registration Form for Foreign Nationals to the PRA Head Office in Makati City or to any of its satellite offices nationwide. Requirements for their enrolment are Special Resident Retiree’s Visa (SRRV) and a granted permanent residency status pursuant to Section 9 (d) of Executive Order No. 1037. The PRA will facilitate their enrolment into the National Health Insurance Program (NHIP).

Citizens of other countries residing or working in the Philippines with a valid Alien Certificate of Registration Identity Card (ACR I-Card) issued by the Bureau of Immigration may submit their PMRF for Foreign Nationals to the nearest Local Health Insurance Office (LHIO).

All member-foreign nationals and their qualified dependents shall be entitled to inpatient and outpatient benefits and other special benefit packages through any of the PhilHealth-accredited health care institutions nationwide. Excluded from their entitlements, however, are the Z Benefit packages, reimbursement for all confinements abroad and benefits for women about to give birth (WATGB).

The annual premium contribution rate for PRA foreign retirees is P15,000.00, while that of other foreign citizens is P17,000.00. They may pay for their premium contributions either quarterly, semi-annually or annually. (Dahlia D. Benedicto)

https://www.philhealth.gov.ph/news/2017/expands_coverage.html

Edited by RogerDuMond
  • Thanks 1

RogerDuMond

Here is more. This says that foreign nationals can NOT be covered as a dependent of a Philippine citizen's Philhealth policy

PHILHEALTH CIRCULAR No. 'lol7 -000.3

TO SUBJECT I. RATIONALE FOREIGN CITIZENS IN THE PHILIPPINES, MEMBERS OF THE INFORMAL ECONOMY, ACCREDITED HEALTH CARE PROVIDERS, ACCREDITED COLLECTING AGENTS, PHILHEALTH OFFICES AND ALL OTHERS CONCERNED Enrollment of Foreign Nationals under the Informal Economy Program of the NHIP

VIII. SPECIFIC PROVISIONS 1. Foreign nationals are required to enroll as member and shall not be covered as dependent by their Filipino Spouse.

https://www.philhealth.gov.ph/circulars/2017/circ2017-0003.pdf

• Thanks 1

RogerDuMond
4 hours ago, user333 said:

Hmm, I am on a BB stamp and don’t have an ACR card and I am on my wife’s PhilHealth plan through her work. She showed me the email she sent to HR to set it up and I have a plastic Phil health card with my name on it. 

Just a suggestion, but if I were you, I would check it out with Philhealth before I had to use the card.

• Like 2

Jawny

https://www.philhealth.gov.ph/downloads/membership/PMRF_ForeignNatl.pdf

https://www.philhealth.gov.ph/circulars/2017/circ2017-0003.pdf

Even reading these documents provided by Philhealth, I still don’t have a clear idea of just what is allowed  I don’t intend to get Philhealth, but if I were, I’d persist in getting a clear answer.  it seems to me that  Philhealth is not objecting to foreigners applying for and being covered. It is just that they want them to pay a significantly higher premium.

Once again, I strongly urge underinsured members to have a cash reserve on hand.  

• Like 1

jaybee747
On 10/16/2019 at 8:25 AM, to_dave007 said:

Just keep in mind..  there can be substantial discounts for cash payments.

What is the "substantial discounts" you are getting by paying cash over credit card? I assume the hospital can give you discount of up to 5% for the credit card processing fees they are paying but behind this what benefit the hospital is getting for giving substantial discount for cash?

user333
11 hours ago, RogerDuMond said:

Just a suggestion, but if I were you, I would check it out with Philhealth before I had to use the card.

My apologies. I have PhilCare. It’s a private company. 

• Like 2

to_dave007
1 hour ago, jaybee747 said:

What is the "substantial discounts" you are getting by paying cash over credit card? I assume the hospital can give you discount of up to 5% for the credit card processing fees they are paying but behind this what benefit the hospital is getting for giving substantial discount for cash?

Memory fades..  but in my experience closer to 18%..  at Chong Hua..  and I had similar experience at DumDum medical clinic in Balamban when I was acting for a friend of mine.  Plus I am aware of similar situation for Pinoy family at Vicenti Soto.  It may not be immediately offered..  and you may need to ask for it..  But it's available.

At Chong Hua the largest expense I had was for antibiotics coming from the Chong Hua pharmacy.  Normally the nurses get the required medication from the pharmacy.. but we were advised by the hospital if we get it ourselves..  and pay cash..  we get 18% discount on those meds.  Then when we left I believe there some cash discounts at cashier as well. 

At the DumDum clinic...  An old Canadian friend of mine was immobile after a stroke.. and I was acting for his daughter who was still in Canada.  I had limited funds from the daughter available and I needed to stretch those funds so that we could send my friend to city for neurologist examination without ME having to pay for it ..  Part of the bill had already been paid..  and about 33,000 remained unpaid..  and we needed him out of the clinic and back home for couple nights until the neurologist visit..  I can't remember exact details..  but I know I asked for 20% discount for cash settlement (meaning no credit and no promissory note).  Cashier initially said no..  repeatedly..  and I asked her to get a management decision.. which she did..  and I think I paid about 28,000.  Accepted as final settlement.. and my friend was released and went home.  And we still had the funds for neurologist exam (to see if we could get permission for him to fly back to Canada..  we never did get it).  Not even sure if that clinic took credit card. I suspect not.

At Vicenti Soto..  Young family w/o Philhealth had 17,000 to pay 23,000 bill after their child was treated for seizures..  At discharge they held on to the 17,000 and negotiated the final settlement of the bill BEFORE handing over the money.  They simply said this is all we have..  and we can't get more..  and they wanted to pay the full bill with the 17,000..  It was accepted as final settlement.

You ain't in Kansas any more..   If you don't ask for discount.. you won't get it.  Remember..  when you hand over a credit card you are saying "please give me a 5% discount and use this form of payment". By accepting the credit card they agree.  

In this country..  the hospitals would rather give a discount for cash payment than take a promissory note or have other settlement issues..  By giving a discount for cash they are reducing their risk and exposure.

Edited by to_dave007

jaybee747
23 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

Memory fades..  but in my experience closer to 18%..  at Chong Hua..  and I had similar experience at DumDum medical clinic in Balamban when I was acting for a friend of mine.  Plus I am aware of similar situation for Pinoy family at Vicenti Soto.  It may not be immediately offered..  and you may need to ask for it..  But it's available.

At Chong Hua the largest expense I had was for antibiotics coming from the Chong Hua pharmacy.  Normally the nurses get the required medication from the pharmacy.. but we were advised by the hospital if we get it ourselves..  and pay cash..  we get 18% discount on those meds.  Then when we left I believe there some cash discounts at cashier as well. 

At the DumDum clinic...  An old Canadian friend of mine was immobile after a stroke.. and I was acting for his daughter who was still in Canada.  I had limited funds from the daughter available and I needed to stretch those funds so that we could send my friend to city for neurologist examination without ME having to pay for it ..  Part of the bill had already been paid..  and about 33,000 remained unpaid..  and we needed him out of the clinic and back home for couple nights until the neurologist visit..  I can't remember exact details..  but I know I asked for 20% discount for cash settlement (meaning no credit and no promissory note).  Cashier initially said no..  repeatedly..  and I asked her to get a management decision.. which she did..  and I think I paid about 28,000.  Accepted as final settlement.. and my friend was released and went home.  And we still had the funds for neurologist exam (to see if we could get permission for him to fly back to Canada..  we never did get it).  Not even sure if that clinic took credit card. I suspect not.

At Vicenti Soto..  Young family w/o Philhealth had 17,000 to pay 23,000 bill after their child was treated for seizures..  At discharge they held on to the 17,000 and negotiated the final settlement of the bill BEFORE handing over the money.  They simply said this is all we have..  and we can't get more..  and they wanted to pay the full bill with the 17,000..  It was accepted as final settlement.

You ain't in Kansas any more..   If you don't ask for discount.. you won't get it.  Remember..  when you hand over a credit card you are saying "please give me a 5% discount and use this form of payment". By accepting the credit card they agree.  

In this country..  the hospitals would rather give a discount for cash payment than take a promissory note or have other settlement issues..  By giving a discount for cash they are reducing their risk and exposure.

Asking for a discount is another issue altogether, I was able to get discount on large medical bills and even for attorney bills in the US also. Off course, if you are unable to pay or can only pay by installments, you will get a discount for a lumpsum payment.  Anyway in my case, on a tourist visa, not sure if I can have a medical insurance but I have an American credit card with around 1.5 million pesos credit line and I plan to use it as my "insurance". I also added my GF as an authorized user to my card so in case I am incapacitated she will be able to make any medical payments with her card.

• Like 2

Headshot

The hospital gave me a discount after my Dengue Fever episode (one week stay) because I asked for a discount, and I paid with my AMEX card. Discounts are more about asking for them than about how you pay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Soupeod
5 hours ago, Headshot said:

The hospital gave me a discount after my Dengue Fever episode (one week stay) because I asked for a discount, and I paid with my AMEX card. Discounts are more about asking for them than about how you pay.

I'm surprised someone accepted Amex here in the PI.

• Haha 1

Headshot
13 hours ago, Soupeod said:

I'm surprised someone accepted Amex here in the PI.

I seldom find a business (that will accept ANY credit card) that doesn't accept AMEX. AMEX transactions are handled through the BDO card reader. Most businesses here have a BDO card reader.

• Sad 1

Dafey

I've had a hard time finding businesses that accept AmEx or Discover

• Like 1

RogerDuMond

Lets move back to the topic please.

• Like 1