smokey

Times are Changing

smokey

I was walking past Shakey's Pizza in SM Cebu. Mostly foreigners there. Outside tables are single guys sitting at 5 separate tables. Dang dry spell, or is Cebu now for married only? Table after table of single guys 60+ trying to blend in.

• Like 2

savarity
I was walking past Shakey's Pizza in SM Cebu. Mostly foreigners there. Outside tables are single guys sitting at 5 separate tables. Dang dry spell, or is Cebu now for married only? Table after table of single guys 60+ trying to blend in.

I'll go with Cebu only being for married guys. 

I'm 37 years old, often sat around that very area in Ayala, for most of the day doing my emails and such, since my condo was walking distance nearby, and so I know what you mean. Dozens of lonely looking foreign guys just sitting around. Almost all I saw eventually seemed to leave alone unless it appeared they were waiting for someone specific.

I stayed in Cebu City for a long time, and also found it very very difficult to find a girlfriend. Never did. Of course, that wasn't why I was living there, so I wouldn't be the person to ask, but still it did not seem like the best place for a guy looking for a partner.

Headshot
3 minutes ago, savarity said:

I stayed in Cebu City for a long time, and found it very very difficult to find a girlfriend. Never did.

That's pretty sad. It has always seemed to me like Cebu is one of the easiest places in the world to meet women who would want to meet you. But ... what do I know? I am married to a Filipina (from Cebu) and we have an eight-year-old daughter. Have you done better with finding a girlfriend in Tarlac?

• Like 1

savarity
That's pretty sad. It has always seemed to me like Cebu is one of the easiest places in the world to meet women who would want to meet you. But ... what do I know? I am married to a Filipina (from Cebu) and we have an eight-year-old daughter. Have you done better with finding a girlfriend in Tarlac?
I just mean that I think OP is right. Times have changed.

A decade ago, things may have been different. I don't know, but I assume so, because it seems like men still come to Cebu City seeking a girlfriend, or their asawa, but many seem to end up sitting around alone and eventually walking away alone. Not sure, just what I saw, and what OP observed.

Elsewhere, whenever anyone asked me if Cebu was good for meeting women, I advised them that it wasn't. I think many get these ideas based on old information. Speaking of old information, Tarlac should have been updated, I'm actually in Manila.

the.lone.gunman

You might be sitting there a long time if you are waiting for the gals to come to you. You generally have to approach them. And middle class or well off gals are generally not too interested in old foreigners cuz they don’t need your money. 

• Like 4

shadow
20 minutes ago, the.lone.gunman said:

You might be sitting there a long time if you are waiting for the gals to come to you. You generally have to approach them. And middle class or well off gals are generally not too interested in old foreigners cuz they don’t need your money. 

The ones that do come to you are generally not exactly the cream of the crop. If they turn out to be girls at all, they will most likely turn out to be on a gold mining quest. That is nothing new at all, it's the way it has been for 20 years at least.

• Like 6

smokey

10 years ago i could go french baker half the tables would have some 60 years old guy in shorts and wife beater t shirt sitting next to a young girl in evening wear but with either high heels or slippers. And one guy with a girl bleached blonde like a barbie doll

Edited by smokey
  • Like 2

Headshot

Ten years ago was just like it is today. The guys who had nothing to offer a Filipina had no Filipina with them. Those who had something to offer had a Filipina with them. Filipinas want a man who can offer them at least a sense of security, and they go by appearance a lot in telling the two types apart (sometimes incorrectly). Not all men who seem to offer it actually provide the Filipina with any security in the end though. There can be scoundrels on both sides of that street. Maybe the guys you were seeing already had a reputation as scoundrels.

• Like 2

smokey

These guys were looking no one i know wants a table outside unless to check the girjs

savarity

I don't think it's just 2 or 3 with a "reputation." I noticed lots, and they were respectable looking older men.

If anything, every now and again, a real sleazy sort would turn up, but that type of gent didn't sit respectfully outside a restaurant. Those sorts were more likely to stand by one of the escalators and seemingly borderline harass women. Made my skin crawl, and though rare, might make locals think less of international visitors.

I just agree with OP, there may have been more interest from local women toward foreign visitors in the past, but times have changed.

• Like 1

HongKongPhooey

It generally doesn’t work this way anymore.  Single people don’t just hang out to meet  other single people these days.  They either meet each other online and then meet-up in person if it looks promising, or they join groups (mostly online) to meet up with others in a group that has something in common (hobbies, church, sports etc.). 

Or, they could try old school and go to local Sunday church rather than  Shakey’s and they will be introduced to plenty.  

God, do I sound old...

Edited by HongKongPhooey
  • Like 1

Headshot
1 hour ago, savarity said:

I noticed lots, and they were respectable looking older men.

Then, maybe, what you saw was married men out for a day at the mall without their wife. I do that sometimes. Where I pick up my mail is close to SM City Cebu, so after I get my mail, I go over to the mall for lunch and some shopping for things I want (like pastries at French Baker) before I go home. Then again, I rarely ever go to Shakey's for lunch.

• Like 1

smokey

Could be i have done that myself these are lust married guys sitting on the rail looking for their wives to swoop in from shooping 

to_dave007
1 minute ago, smokey said:

Could be i have done that myself these are lust married guys sitting on the rail looking for their wives to swoop in from shooping 

Same here..  but I usually pick a spot with a stack of newspapers to read to pass the time..  and that ain't Shakey's.

Kreole

I never went to the malls to meet girls, although I know that some girls hang out there to meet foreigners.  I found all the references I could ask for on Date In Asia.  Lots of local girls listed there, or you can choose the location where you are and search there.  There will always be the nay sayers here who have negative things to say about DIA, but, like anything else here in the RP, you just need to learn how to communicate and to lower your expectations.  I quit the game some time ago, but had great fun and lots of challenges along the way.  Poor guys are just looking in the wrong places or on the wrong day; I don't know, but Cebu has more than its share of beauties if you have patience and respect.

• Like 4