lamoe

Sous Vide pork chops

lamoe

Bought a 220 V Sous Vide cooker from Amazon while in states - $25 after $75 promo

First time - pork chops (rack of pork Landers) 1 inch / 2.54 Cm thick - chart called for 1 1/2 hours at 140 f / 60C for pasteurization

Came out looking really sick - very pale and unappetizing - seared in grill pan for 2 min / side

Very little liquid in bag - same thickness as when started :dance2:

Tata cooked a 3rd one in a pan

Results - hers was more flavorful - I didn't season mine before hand - BUT she loved the tenderness of mine and wants to try other meats

Was able to cut the meat with a fork - not mushy - just very very juicy and tender - same color all the way through

20191012_194124.jpg

20191012_194232.jpg

20191012_194541.jpg

20191012_194656.jpg

• Like 4

lamoe

Good thing about cooking like this is very hard to over cook meat - range for the chops was 1 1/2 hours minimum to 4  hours - any longer and still not overdone just meat starts to break down (depends on temp) - rare thick steaks take up to 6 1/2 hours (lower temp takes longer to cook)

Notice I mentioned Pasteurization temp - I will always use this for meat here - no slightly pink center pork

I used some vacuum seal bags daughter had - tried the submerge in water to remove air  method then fold over and clip - worked OK

Got one of those chunky soup pots they use over fire in DKs - worked OK  - should be bigger - taller mainly

Will be buying either a bigger pot or 12 L poly  container w/lid made for Sous Vide (P2000 Lazada) also some food grade vacuum seal bags (P700)

Tata said can't use the pot I bought on our stove - will scratch burner grate (Bohol bound)

She wants to try fish - chicken - steaks :dance2:

Expensive maybe, but given the quality of her cooking I'll buy whatever utensils - spices - pots / pans she wants :cool:

image.png.f5af75bebd0207d242942aceff888b72.png

20191013_071528[1].jpg

RedRanger

Might as well put it your dishwasher instead

• Haha 2

lamoe
1 hour ago, RedRanger said:

Might as well put it your dishwasher instead

That was pretty much the same attitude of those who could never conceive of doing trhings in a different  way and criticized them when introduced.

Radar Range (Microwave) oven, Convection oven, Induction plate, Bluetooth Induction Sous Vide, Air frying, etc.

Any other constructive comments?

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

RedRanger
2 hours ago, lamoe said:

That was pretty much the same attitude of those who could never conceive of doing trhings in a different  way and criticized them when introduced.

Radar Range (Microwave) oven, Convection oven, Induction plate, Bluetooth Induction Sous Vide, Air frying, etc.

Any other constructive comments?

It also seems like a nasty way to eat your meat

• Haha 2

lamoe
Just now, RedRanger said:

It also seems like a nasty way to eat your meat

?

Cooking = heat - gas, electric, wood - the more precise the temp control the easier it is  to achieve uniform results. That's why water cooking is much better for none professionals.

Consider if you like your steaks mid-rare = 145F final temp - you are not going to get that all the way through - the top / bottom will be well done and  a  portion of the center will be as you want it. How much depends on the skill of the cook.

The only two ways it will be the same all the way through are raw and well done

With Sous Vide whatever you want is the way it is all the way through except for the caramelized top / bottom done after it reaches the correct temp

image.thumb.png.0c22dd03b31a8f23cbbb0bebcb89ceec.png

Sous Vide on left - both med-rare - right one typ of home cooking

image.thumb.png.ef4637f823e4d357461d93409d45f8d1.png

• Like 1

RedRanger
Just now, lamoe said:

?

Cooking = heat - gas, electric, wood - the more precise the temp control the easier it is  to achieve uniform results. That's why water cooking is much better for none professionals.

Consider if you like your steaks mid-rare = 145F final temp - you are not going to get that all the way through - the top / bottom will be well done and  a  portion of the center will be as you want it. How much depends on the skill of the cook.

With Sous Vide whatever you want is the way it is all the way through except for the caramelized top / bottom done after it reaches the correct temp

Still a nasty way to cook meat. Yuck then you still have to use a skillet if you want a to look normal.

Give me a Rib Eye and get the grill up to 550 degree, put some salt and pepper and cook both sides for 2 minutes each.

I will never eat boiled meat.

• Like 1

lamoe
1 minute ago, RedRanger said:

Still a nasty way to cook meat. Yuck then you still have to use a skillet if you want a to look normal.

Give me a Rib Eye and get the grill up to 550 degree, put some salt and pepper and cook both sides for 2 minutes each.

who said it's boiled?  - the water never touches the meat - did you miss that?

Same as open flame never touches your steak on the grill  or at least shouldn't

Actually the reason to finish it in a pan  is to add the additional flavor of searing the meat - otherwise no need - we're conditioned to accept certain food appearances same with cooked or not  - Sushi comes to mind

Here's a short vid - if your steak is perfect every time regardless of who cooks it - great - for most people it's not - especially how they cook meat here - hockey pucks

Tata is a quality restaurant grade chief (here and US) - she admits the Sous Vide pork chop I made was juicier and more tender than here's

• Like 1

Soupeod
14 hours ago, lamoe said:

?

Those look medium to me. :)

14 hours ago, RedRanger said:

I have boiled ribs... then transferred them to the grill for flavor and BBQ sauce.  They turn out great.

• Like 1

T.S.
14 hours ago, RedRanger said:

It's not boiled and is actually a delicious way to cook meat.  :thumbs_up:

savarity
It's actually an excellent way to get a perfect internal temperature and superb tenderness. Far better than can be achieved by traditional cooking means.

Yes, it does require a reverse sear, but two cooking methods is normal for almost any thick steak or roast.

I mean a 2-3" steak is going to be either purple raw inside if you cook it for just 2mins on each side, or overcooked outside if you leave it on a grill or in a pan till done internally. So a combination of oven and pan sear/grill is needed. A roast should be browned first, before going in the oven, so that's two steps also same as sous vide.
  • Like 1

lamoe
4 hours ago, savarity said:

It's actually an excellent way to get a perfect internal temperature and superb tenderness. Far better than can be achieved by traditional cooking means.

Yes, it does require a reverse sear, but two cooking methods is normal for almost any thick steak or roast.

I mean a 2-3" steak is going to be either purple raw inside if you cook it for just 2mins on each side, or overcooked outside if you leave it on a grill or in a pan till done internally. So a combination of oven and pan sear/grill is needed. A roast should be browned first, before going in the oven, so that's two steps also same as sous vide.

The main advantage for me  here  is PORK

I haven't had a decent steak since I moved here - the cost of OZ, NZ let alone US beef is out of my budget but rack of pork with 1" to 1 1/2" think chops is the primary reason I bought it.

As I've said Tata is a fantastic cook and very sanitation conscious - pork must be thoroughly cooked - hers is still good just not as  moist or tender as in US where there is no fear of Trichinosis from store bought meat so hockey puck cooking  isn't required

$25 for unit - $14 for vacuum bags  - $30 for a really nice pot that can also be used over gas, electric and induction and $0.80 for a plastic serving tray for a lid with hole cut for the wand

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CardiacKid

My takeaway on this. You were willing to try something different. It only has to satisfy you. You were kind enough to share your experience. You should do well in any endeavor, as you do not have to overcome negativity to enjoy your life. I used a simple 3 word philosophy when I lived in Cebu. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Some of my most satisfying experiences were adapting southern cooking to Cebu. Do things Your Way.

• Like 2

Jack Rat
10 hours ago, Soupeod said:

Those look medium to me. :)

I have boiled ribs... then transferred them to the grill for flavor and BBQ sauce.  They turn out great.

I don't eat pork, but I also simmer my beef ribs in water for around two hours.  I let the cooker boil almost dry, then add a little butter and turn the heat on full for another two or three minutes turning the beef until golden brown, it literally falls off the bone, delicious!