Rexsmith

MRI scan cost

Rexsmith

The Chong Hua hospital was going to charge me 35,000 Peso for an MRI scan. A doctor I saw for my back problem suggested I have an MRI. She told me the price was about 12,000 Peso. I declined to pay the 35,000.

Anyone have an MRI recently? If so how much was paid? Thanks

Headshot

Try Cebu (Velez) General Hospital. Their prices are much cheaper than Chong Hua. It has been six years since I had an MRI there, but the price at the time was about a third of what Chong Hua wanted. It is located in the middle on the map. Use the little satellite icon in the lower left of the map to get a clearer picture. You can zoom out to get a better idea of the location.

Kreole
3 hours ago, Rexsmith said:

The Chong Hua hospital was going to charge me 35,000 Peso for an MRI scan. A doctor I saw for my back problem suggested I have an MRI. She told me the price was about 12,000 Peso. I declined to pay the 35,000.

Anyone have an MRI recently? If so how much was paid? Thanks

I had an MRI of my cervical and thoracic spine a month ago at Cebu Doctors Hospital.  It was P12,500 ($250 USD) much less than I had read about in this forum which was somewhere in the range of $600 USD.  Curiously a cervical spine MRI costs something like P11,500 and for an additional P1000 to P1500 they include the thoracic spine.

• Like 1

Rexsmith

Thanks for the replies. I will go back to the original doctor I saw and discuss this.

Gus

I had an MRI at Cebu Med Centre a few years back ..the cost of the scan was ( from memory ) 12 to 14k ..
But they charged individually for every single extra ..total 19k

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

savarity

I paid 15,000, for a full abdomen, MRI. 35k sounds very high, but the only way to know for sure is to shop around. Try the other hospitals, Perpetual Succour, Cebu Doctors, Velez, etc. Even without a prescription you can usually get imaging done there.

You don't really need to discuss prices with the first doctor, just get the imaging he needs. Also, you will receive an analysis from the doctors involved with the imaging, so be sure to relay your problems to them. They probably see more patients overall than any specific doctor, so they can help offer insight.

Kreole
On 10/12/2019 at 9:41 AM, Gus said:

I had an MRI at Cebu Med Centre a few years back ..the cost of the scan was ( from memory ) 12 to 14k ..
But they charged individually for every single extra ..total 19k

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

Maybe the trick is to have the doctor include the different areas together in one script.  Always good to inquire before, and certainly to consult your doctor.  Doctors here seem totally clueless as to the cost of procedures, so it is up to you to do the research.  

• Like 1

Jawny

The doctor prescribing the MRI will indicate the area to be scanned, and whether a contrast or plain scan is what is needed.  If it is with contrast, there is likely to be blood tests, particularly for creatinine.  As well, the prescribing doctor may want some additional laboratory exams done such as blood tests or urine etc.  It would seem to me that doctors won’t know the costs of these exams, as they will vary from place to place and prices may change.  There are even package deals some people may use which save loads of money.  For example, an "executive check up" may be significantly cheaper than to have several exams done separately.  

An MRI will cover a region of the body, so it makes sense a slightly longer scan will increase the cost slightly.  

It’s not likely the radiologist will consult with the patient.  They are not the one treating the patient.