Jump to content

My US bank called at 3:45 am


lamoe

Recommended Posts

lamoe

3:45 AM - phone rings - US area code 

AWWW crap!! something major happened back home

Hello?

In a very perky voice "Hi, is this Terry?"

yes

"Hi, I'm Sandy your new - name of bank - personnel banker, I wanted to introduce myself and tell you about some new offers available to you"

(Do a certain amount of business and get a direct contact.)

Do you know where you're calling?

"I saw it's a different area code"

It's the Philippines and it's 3:45 AM here

"So, it's not a good time to talk?" 

(WTF???)

(Politely )

No - you have my e-mail - send me a message

 

Living here has had a positive effect on me - more tolerant of totally clueless.  :dance2:

 

 

Edited by lamoe
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • lamoe

    7

  • cookie47

    6

  • Bama

    4

  • smokey

    3

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In the past few years I've received  umpteen calls from numbers supposedly from my area or other places thruout the USA that were all spoofer.scam calls.  I even had a few that used my own number tryi

Well having signed up for a PLDT Landline, internet, and Signal package I investigated "why" on the landline IDD did not work.  My wife called the call center and was told we need a TIN number to

Hope not off topic,,,, Thanks for your help,,, , I "was" an avid PayPal user for years. However when we retired and went on the road full time in Australia in a caravan (travel trailer) because (I c

smokey

Scam going around with bank writing or calling asking you personal info i got one from dhl claiming they have a package for me but need my credit card info including the 3 numbers on back

Link to post
Share on other sites
lamoe
3 minutes ago, smokey said:

Scam going around with bank writing or calling asking you personal info i got one from dhl claiming they have a package for me but need my credit card info including the 3 numbers on back

Agree -  forgot to add she mentioned the name of my bank

Went to bed at midnight - couldn't go back to sleep :oldtimer:

 

Edited by lamoe
Link to post
Share on other sites
smokey
1 minute ago, lamoe said:

Agree -  forgot to add she mentioned the name of my bank

"This is Sandy from &*(()"

 

Oh sorry then it must of been real.   So your personal banker not a call center hired to find customers dang you must have a huge savings acct

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Goetz1965

Doesn't your phone has that "Do not disturb" functionality like mine ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smokey said:

Oh sorry then it must of been real.   So your personal banker not a call center hired to find customers dang you must have a huge savings acct

No need to apologize -  call was from area code 815 - Rockford IL  - didn't want any info 

Last time there talked to previous  contact about my accounts - closed several now that I'm retired - opened a new joint one w/ daughter -  he said would be moving up ladder and to expect a new one soon.

Would need to know a lot about me to know name of bank and that contact was changing - wouldn't you agree?

Yes - over the years, home & condo mortgages , several checking / credit account (joint / individual) , business accounts, line of credit, etc.

5 minutes ago, Goetz1965 said:

Doesn't your phone has that "Do not disturb" functionality like mine ?

Probably - but only time I use it is to text Tata - so never bothered

Link to post
Share on other sites
Kahuna
8 minutes ago, lamoe said:

No need to apologize -  call was from area code 815 - Rockford IL  - didn't want any info 

Last time there talked to previous  contact about my accounts - closed several now that I'm retired - opened a new joint one w/ daughter -  he said would be moving up ladder and to expect a new one soon.

Would need to know a lot about me to know name of bank and that contact was changing - wouldn't you agree?

Yes - over the years, home & condo mortgages , several checking / credit account (joint / individual) , business accounts, line of credit, etc.

In the past few years I've received  umpteen calls from numbers supposedly from my area or other places thruout the USA that were all spoofer.scam calls.  I even had a few that used my own number trying to get me to answer. Call spoofin is the new rage so be wary.The caller ID you are looking at no longer has any bearing on who or what is actually calling you anymore.  :hi:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caller_ID_spoofing

Edited by Kahuna
info added
  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Kahuna said:

In the past few years I've received  umpteen calls from numbers supposedly from my area or other places thruout the USA that were all spoofer.scam calls

So what service are you using that allows you to receive phone calls from the US on your cell phone. PLDT maybe ?

In the past we have tried to use Globe via a cell phone to contact the states and it almost always fails. People have tried to call us from the states with similar results.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Bama said:

So what service are you using that allows you to receive phone calls from the US on your cell phone. PLDT maybe ?

In the past we have tried to use Globe via a cell phone to contact the states and it almost always fails. People have tried to call us from the states with similar results.

Have dual SIM card phone  - it came in on Smart  - haven't used that number in the 2 1/2 years Tata has been with me but did have it  as bank contact number when I first moved here

Edited by lamoe
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
shadow
16 minutes ago, Bama said:

So what service are you using that allows you to receive phone calls from the US on your cell phone. PLDT maybe ?

In the past we have tried to use Globe via a cell phone to contact the states and it almost always fails. People have tried to call us from the states with similar results.

We have a US based Skype number, and the app on my wife's phone. Any time someone calls the number it rings both her phone and my computer if it's on.

We use it almost exclusively for calls. Calls to the Philippines through Skype are cheaper than Globe to Globe or Smart to Smart.

Edited by shadow
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Kahuna
11 minutes ago, Bama said:

So what service are you using that allows you to receive phone calls from the US on your cell phone. PLDT maybe ?

In the past we have tried to use Globe via a cell phone to contact the states and it almost always fails. People have tried to call us from the states with similar results.

I'm in the states now but I had AT&T Mobility that I'd prepaid ahead for when visiting Cebu area.  The cell switched over to T-Moblie when I was in Cebu.  Roaming charges were outrageous..

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, lamoe said:

but did have it  as bank contact number when I first moved here

This is one of the reasons that we need to call the states----to contact our bank.

Some account changes they won't do via email and calling has often failed while eating up load almost faster than we can buy it.

PLDT I thought was going to be the answer here ----there is a box on the pole right in front of the house but alas it's full of connections we have been told.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bama said:

This is one of the reasons that we need to call the states----to contact our bank.

Some account changes they won't do via email and calling has often failed while eating up load almost faster than we can buy it.

PLDT I thought was going to be the answer here ----there is a box on the pole right in front of the house but alas it's full of connections we have been told.

My main bank "Chase" has a secure? online banking feature that allows me to do transactions - shifting money between various Chase accounts, deposits to other bank accounts (daughter / ex-wife / My Schwab) also allows me to send e-mail to contact requesting / providing info.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, lamoe said:

My main bank "Chase" has a secure? online banking feature that allows me to do transactions - shifting money between various

My bank has this option too-----one that I use several times a month.

It's the CC associated with my bank that has become the problem. When trying to buy plane tickets the CC wants to verify the purchase by sending me a code number-----via cell phone only. The cell number on file is out of date---would prefer email anyway which never changes but haven't found a way to change to this option.Been told that the change has to be made via phone or in person. In person would require a trip to the states. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
shadow
1 minute ago, Bama said:

My bank has this option too-----one that I use several times a month.

It's the CC associated with my bank that has become the problem. When trying to buy plane tickets the CC wants to verify the purchase by sending me a code number-----via cell phone only. The cell number on file is out of date---would prefer email anyway which never changes but haven't found a way to change to this option.Been told that the change has to be made via phone or in person. In person would require a trip to the states. 

FYI, my Skype number also sends and receives text messages.

 

It's cheap, and much clearer than talking on a cell phone. I'm hard of hearing, so I much prefer using it with headphones it over a phone.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..