lv2play

Goodday,

Maam and me are building a house at the moment and i have to decide which company to choose from.

There is very little information to compare with and it looks like most suppliers pretend to sell the best quality against comparable prices.

I thought Apo (puyat steel) would be my first choice but changed my mind after them visiting our site, ripping off a foreigner was most likely on their mind, an overcharge of 200 meter longspan ! Do we foreigners look so stupid or were they not really interested.I asked them to recalculated and didn't hear anything anymore.

At the other hand i found some reasonable options of which EXCEL roof looks like a very good quality brand.

Beside that contracters working with Philmetal (ruskotile ), Everglory (last choice) and DWIGHT steel ( of which i never heared before offer me good deals.

Prices are more or like the same but i prefer to pay little more for good quality, EXCEL offers warranty of 10-25 years ( which is ofcourse hard to believe in a country with no warranty at all after payments.

Do you have any experience, please share.

Jawny

I had a roof and gutters installed by using an independent contractor.  This was in Leyte, though he once worked for a supplier (I can’t recall, but I think it was Durasteel). The reason I mention an independent contractor is that he charged me for the materials and his labor, but it was all up front and honest.  As to the material, it’s only been up for a couple of years, so I can’t attest to the longevity of the product.  

I can caution you about the sort of "errors" that can crop up and advise you to look out for this.

The initial estimate had some mathematical errors, used while doing the calculation.  So, double check everything.

The contractor underestimated some actual roofing pieces, but he ate the cost for the increased number (it was just a few meters of material). He did overestimate one item which I paid for but didn’t make a fuss about. He claimed he needed six silicone sealant tubes, but I’m pretty certain he only used two, maybe three. Also, I’d advise you watch some of these simpler tasks being done, as the overestimate may have occurred because the workmen didn’t do as thorough a job at caulking as they should have. 

Also, be sure you are clear about the downspouts and their location and such.  Have them done to your liking, not to his convenience. Use large downspouts!

Be sure they use new roofing screws.  These are costly, so there is a tendency for them to use the older ones.

Have some minor first aid supplies on hand for cuts.  I’ve never known a workman or crew to have even a bandaid.  They will cut themselves.

I'd invest in a magnetic rake if you can find one (Wilcon?). I saw one long after the work was done and I had cleaned up the metal debris myself using high pressure spray.  A magnetic rake would be a simple way to reduce the risk of foot injuries. 

If you have any wooden materials currently in use for the gutters, have that replaced now with metal equivalent. I had a lot of dry wood termites in my cheaply installed gutter installation. 

Be sure they get a touch up paint which matches the color you’ve chosen.  Otherwise your new roof may look like it has dengue. 

• Thanks 2

Salty Dog

@Jawny could you post some photos of your roof...

to_dave007
37 minutes ago, lv2play said:

Goodday,

Maam and me are building a house at the moment and i have to decide which company to choose from.

There is very little information to compare with and it looks like most suppliers pretend to sell the best quality against comparable prices.

I thought Apo (puyat steel) would be my first choice but changed my mind after them visiting our site, ripping off a foreigner was most likely on their mind, an overcharge of 200 meter longspan ! Do we foreigners look so stupid or were they not really interested.I asked them to recalculated and didn't hear anything anymore.

At the other hand i found some reasonable options of which EXCEL roof looks like a very good quality brand.

Beside that contracters working with Philmetal (ruskotile ), Everglory (last choice) and DWIGHT steel ( of which i never heared before offer me good deals.

Prices are more or like the same but i prefer to pay little more for good quality, EXCEL offers warranty of 10-25 years ( which is ofcourse hard to believe in a country with no warranty at all after payments.

Do you have any experience, please share.

I suggest a visit to the Union Galvasteel location in Consolacion WITH your building plans to talk to one of their engineers/estimators.  https://www.google.com/maps/place/Union+Galvasteel,+Consolacion,+Cebu/@10.3704941,123.9855544,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x33a9bd5a5cf88d99:0xabcfc198c23754ec!8m2!3d10.3705483!4d123.9878036?hl=en.

They'll have list of contractors that work with them..

Should be no problem to make a contract with contractor for roof plus all structural steel in the roof..  I believe Union Galvasteel themselves will do most of the material quantity estimates..  basically giving you a bill of materials to work with.  I did a fixed price contract with contractor..  and if you do that I would recommend that you specify that you will pay Union Galvasteel DIRECTLY for the steel once detailed bill of materials is agreed.  

lv2play

thanks for you advise Jawny, most contractors claim to be independent but i noticed that they stick to the one brand that they advised on first.Ofcourse they are willing to make a quote for another brand but it turns out to be less interesting, i invited several contractors and they all do the same.For example i'm interested in EXCEL and i can buy it a lot cheaper then what those contractors offer me.

Also i will buy my own materials like insulation, (stainless) tekscrews, and blind rivits, our roof is about 250 m2 and it quickly saves up an aircon or more.

Also thanks for the advise on the touch-up paint, when looking in the mirror the last week i saw how Dengue looks like, worse also how it feels, no fun but feel better now.

to_Dave007, thanks also, this company is also on my list.

Jawny

also, I bought enough clamps and two inch pipe to assure the installer had safe and secure methods to install.  Not being nice.  I used much of that later to assemble some shelving. 

IMG_0879-Copy.jpg

• Thanks 1

Raven

Depending on roof design, Metalplas roofing could be an alternative... no heat passing.. we used 3" downspout pipe

Paddy

I would recommend 3inch downspouts. 2inch is not really big enough for heavy rain. 

Any backup into the eavestrough will stress the eavestrough fasteners. 

I have also yet to see any installer use any tool guaranteed to get the right slope on an eavestrough. I’d swear they align the eavestrough to the roof edge no matter what it’s slope is!!

When our roof was done, I was surprised to be asked where the downspouts were to go. (One end of our house faces a downslope to a rice padi...😣)

Salty Dog

We have such heavy rain here in Florida that many homes don't even have gutters. My home has them, but I've been thinking of removing them. Cleaning the leaves out of them every year is a pain in the ass.

My small house in the Philippines doesn't have gutters either.

Paddy

@Salty Dog you can get leaf guard caps (or you should be able to). 

There is very little done here to control run off. No gutters, gutters with no downspouts etc. The water goes where it wants to - and that generally causes localized flooding and/or undercutting damage.

The same concept (or lack of) applies to municipal drainage - although that does seem to be changing. 

Here in Masbate they seem to be waking up to the fact that letting raging torrents (that are usually just gentle streams for most of the time) wash out the roads once or twice a year is not smart...

Bama

LV2---I would love to hear how you are going to insulate your "attic".

I have looked for some years for a roof venting system that would work on my house. Maybe this is something for you to consider.I would certainly have large gutters---and downspouts as big as you can find---and make sure that they actually drain. Water sits in some of mine and slowly rusts out the bottom of the gutter.Don't eyeball it---measure it----if I remember correctly the proper slope is 1/8th of an inch per foot.

Salty Dog
20 minutes ago, Paddy said:

@Salty Dog you can get leaf guard caps (or you should be able to). 

There is very little done here to control run off. No gutters, gutters with no downspouts etc. The water goes where it wants to - and that generally causes localized flooding and/or undercutting damage.

Yes, but they cost over a thousand dollars installed. I'm way to cheap for that. Much easier to remove the gutters or the tree, which I did last year. Couldn't get the neighbor to remove his though...:P

https://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/77697-i-be-gone/?do=findComment&comment=1484078

The homes here are built to handle rain runoff, plus having mostly sandy soil, it soaks in pretty fast. I have a drainage area in the back of my home that is usually dry, but can turn into a lake during a heavy downpour.

https://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/77697-i-be-gone/?do=findComment&comment=1417490

I assume drainage planning isn't taken into consideration most of the time in Philippine home construction...:unknw:

Bama
29 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

Yes, but they cost over a thousand dollars installed. I'm way to cheap for that.

There is a Lowes, HD version of gutter caps that comes in 3 foot sections, snaps together, and cost very little money. One long edge slips under the existing shingles---the other edge hooks onto the lip of a standard gutter.

Had them on my old house for years. Somethings get through over time and they can mildew fairly quick----I probably only cleaned them up once every few years.Thankfully, I could do all of this work off a step ladder.

Headshot
1 hour ago, Salty Dog said:

I assume drainage planning isn't taken into consideration most of the time in Philippine home construction...:unknw:

True story. If you leave it up to the contractor, they will always undersize the downspouts (guaranteeing the the gutters will overflow during downpours). I have 4-inch PVC downspouts that go into drainage pipes leading to an underground cistern in my yard. If the cistern overflows, it drains into the storm drain system and then into a creek behind our house. There is no risk that we will ever have a leakage problem, a drainage problem or a flooding problem because I considered those things in my design and then made sure the contractor followed the design. .

Paddy
9 hours ago, Headshot said:

and then made sure the contractor followed the design. .

And therein lies the rub...😀...and the main reason why you need to be present during construction of any type!

Venting. The standard up-market roof venting system for a house here in Masbate is a soffit vent in each corner. There are no corresponding roof vents. I have no idea how this is supposed to make a difference. I have yet to see a roof vent on sale anywhere.

Our house uses the foil/foam insulation under the roof panels. I “think” it makes a difference but then, we have no roof or soffit vents at all! The engineer in me assumes that venting is achieved by all the unsealed overlaps of panels and ridge roll sheets.

The thing I do like about our roof is the colour matched sheets that went over the hardiflex facia boards. It looks good and makes the roof look more “finished”.

I haven’t commented on the roofing panels themselves because this is Masbate. It’s referred to here as Color Roof and it has to be shipped in. Ours came from Legazpi loaded on a Jeepney! Decent thickness steel sheets with a factory baked paint finish. The sheets were also factory cut based on the roofer’s sizing estimate. He did an excellent estimate - there was very little “spare” material. We also got touch up paint - which was needed because the roofers helpers tended to scratch the gutters (installed first) while sliding the sheets up to the roof.

• Like 1