Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
RangerUp

British national and Pinay wife kidnapped in Zamboanga del Sur

Recommended Posts

Headshot
On 10/6/2019 at 7:12 AM, battleborn said:

My wife's family lives close to there.  We are in the process of of looking at some property to build a home west of that area.

Been there many times.

You sound fairly confident that you will be safe in that area. Are you sure that we won't be reading about the bad things that happened to you and your wife sometime in the future?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cogon88
2 hours ago, Headshot said:

You sound fairly confident that you will be safe in that area. Are you sure that we won't be reading about the bad things that happened to you and your wife sometime in the future?

Well here is a partial list of the reported shootings and bombing in the south from 2017 - 2018

 https://www.osac.gov/Country/Philippines/Content/Detail/Report/d3be3560-6b42-4c0d-a621-15f4aea87572

For more than a decade, terrorists, insurgents, and criminal actors have carried out major attacks against civilians. Most of these have occurred in southern and western Mindanao and on the islands of Basilan and Sulu. Some notable recent attacks include:

In January 2017, suspected Abu Sayyaf militants killed eight fishermen in an attack in Zamboanga.

In March 2017, suspected Abu Sayyaf militants killed at least four people and wounded 23 in a grenade attack in the Sulu area.

In April 2017, a firefight killed three Philippine Army soldiers, a police officer, two civilians and four militants near Inabanga, Bohol. 

In July 2017, Abu Sayyaf militants beheaded two Vietnamese sailors held hostages for eight months in Basilan.

In July 2017, Abu Sayyaf left the bodies of seven Filipino loggers they had previously kidnapped in two separate towns of Basilan.

In August 2017, Abu Sayyaf killed nine people and wounded 16 others in an attack in Basilan province.

In July 2018, suspected Abu Sayyaf militants killed 11 people when a van with an improvised explosive device (IED) exploded at a military checkpoint in Lamitan.

In August 2018, the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters killed three people and wounded 36 during the 60th anniversary of Hamungaya Festival in Isulan, Sultan Kudarat.

In September 2018, an explosion in Isulan killed two people and injured 14. 

In December 2018, a bomb exploded outside a shopping mall in Cotabato, killing two people were and wounding 35. Authorities deactivated another suspected IED found in a subsequent search of the area. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bama

If we are getting on the way back machine a bit---check out last Octobers discussion when Cebu had a higher murder rate than Chi Town.

IMO there is really nowhere in the PI that is truly safe.Things that no one would pay attention to in the US,Oz,etc can get you killed here quickly.Southern PI is even worse it seems.

https://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/112800-philippines-getting-safer/#comments

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bama

A possible motive and composite sketch of abductor...............

https://www.benarnews.org/english/news/philippine/couple-abducted-10072019124658.html

Quote

 

Government troops and police officers have fanned out across the southern Philippines to search for a British businessman and his Filipino wife who were abducted from a beach resort on Friday night, officials said Monday.

A group of six armed men seized Allan Arthur Hyrons, 70, and Welma Paglinawan-Hyrons from the resort in Tukuran, a town in Zamboanga del Sur province, according to authorities.

“Until now, there is no ransom demand,” said Lt. Gen. Cirilito Sobejana, the military’s regional leader. “Troops and police have been scouring coastal areas looking for them.”

The couple had recently fired several teachers at a school they own, and “disgruntled relatives of the teachers could have retaliated,” Sobejana said.

Investigators are interviewing people associated with the school but no charges have been filed.

The British Embassy in Manila has not issued any statements so far about the kidnapping.

Four of the six suspects were waiting at the resort for the couple and abducted them as soon as they arrived there, an initial investigation revealed. Two boats that were used in the escape sped off in opposite directions, according to investigators.

Police, meanwhile, released a computer-generated sketch of a person of interest in the abduction, while local officials offered a reward for anyone who could provide information about the victims’ whereabouts.

Maj. Helen Galvez, a local police spokeswoman, said the computer-generated sketch was based on CCTV footage of the abduction.

“A facial composite of one of the persons of interest has been released to the public already to help our police forces in tracking down the suspects and recover the victims safely,” Galvez said.

In Manila, presidential spokesman Salvador Panelo described the abduction as an isolated case and assured foreigners that they could visit Zamboanga del Sur safely.

“Sometimes that happens even if there’s martial law. It’s isolated. We cannot avoid that,” Panelo said, adding that tourists should take precautions and avoid places where militants are known to operate in the Philippine south.

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
battleborn
14 hours ago, Headshot said:

You sound fairly confident that you will be safe in that area. Are you sure that we won't be reading about the bad things that happened to you and your wife sometime in the future?

I was married there 2 1/2 years ago and have visited many times.  My wife's family are rice farmers and live east of Pagadian City.  Most of their shopping is done in Pagadian City and I found it quite safe and seems to me to be a smaller percentage of Muslims vs Catholics in the city.  I wouldn't venture west of the city, Zamboagnia peninsula in particular.

I also do no smell of money, just a few old piso's and some old t-shirts.  The guy that was kidnapped owned a beach resort and a couple of schools. He probably drove around in a pretty nice vehicle also.  He smelled of money.  Not me.  I also noticed the kidnappers loaded the victims onto near by boats, seems like that is a preferred method for a getaway without pursuit.

Also, SM is currently building a mall in Pagadian City close to their airport. I believe they spent some time evaluating the safety of the area before they decided to build.

Confident no.  Reasonably sure, yes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
battleborn
12 hours ago, cogon88 said:

Well here is a partial list of the reported shootings and bombing in the south from 2017 - 2018

 https://www.osac.gov/Country/Philippines/Content/Detail/Report/d3be3560-6b42-4c0d-a621-15f4aea87572

For more than a decade, terrorists, insurgents, and criminal actors have carried out major attacks against civilians. Most of these have occurred in southern and western Mindanao and on the islands of Basilan and Sulu. Some notable recent attacks include:

In January 2017, suspected Abu Sayyaf militants killed eight fishermen in an attack in Zamboanga.

In March 2017, suspected Abu Sayyaf militants killed at least four people and wounded 23 in a grenade attack in the Sulu area.

In April 2017, a firefight killed three Philippine Army soldiers, a police officer, two civilians and four militants near Inabanga, Bohol. 

In July 2017, Abu Sayyaf militants beheaded two Vietnamese sailors held hostages for eight months in Basilan.

In July 2017, Abu Sayyaf left the bodies of seven Filipino loggers they had previously kidnapped in two separate towns of Basilan.

In August 2017, Abu Sayyaf killed nine people and wounded 16 others in an attack in Basilan province.

In July 2018, suspected Abu Sayyaf militants killed 11 people when a van with an improvised explosive device (IED) exploded at a military checkpoint in Lamitan.

In August 2018, the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters killed three people and wounded 36 during the 60th anniversary of Hamungaya Festival in Isulan, Sultan Kudarat.

In September 2018, an explosion in Isulan killed two people and injured 14. 

In December 2018, a bomb exploded outside a shopping mall in Cotabato, killing two people were and wounding 35. Authorities deactivated another suspected IED found in a subsequent search of the area. 

 

I wouldn't plan a Sunday picnic in any of those areas

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Davaoeno
4 hours ago, Bama said:

Sometimes that happens even if there’s martial law. It’s isolated. We cannot avoid that,” Panelo said,

I feel so much better now that I know that they can not avoid it !!    

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Raven

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Headshot
6 hours ago, battleborn said:

I was married there 2 1/2 years ago and have visited many times.  My wife's family are rice farmers and live east of Pagadian City.  Most of their shopping is done in Pagadian City and I found it quite safe and seems to me to be a smaller percentage of Muslims vs Catholics in the city.  I wouldn't venture west of the city, Zamboagnia peninsula in particular.

I also do no smell of money, just a few old piso's and some old t-shirts.  The guy that was kidnapped owned a beach resort and a couple of schools. He probably drove around in a pretty nice vehicle also.  He smelled of money.  Not me.  I also noticed the kidnappers loaded the victims onto near by boats, seems like that is a preferred method for a getaway without pursuit.

Also, SM is currently building a mall in Pagadian City close to their airport. I believe they spent some time evaluating the safety of the area before they decided to build.

Confident no.  Reasonably sure, yes

Just remember. Living there is different than just visiting. Once you live there, you will be more easily patterned. They assume that ALL foreigners are rich (or at least have access to money), so appearance is no protection.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
battleborn

Thanks for your input

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RedRanger
On 10/8/2019 at 12:57 AM, Headshot said:

Just remember. Living there is different than just visiting. Once you live there, you will be more easily patterned. They assume that ALL foreigners are rich (or at least have access to money), so appearance is no protection.

I heard they owned a few resorts and may have been flashy as in maybe showing off wealth.

Not a good thing to do in the PI

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jawny

It’s very disappointing that the victims of this kidnapping are being blamed for their troubles.  Spreading rumors such as this does not help efforts to locate these people. 
 

Any member of the LinC who’s been reading the forum for even a short while will realize that foreigners can often be labeled as "rich" just by being a foreigner. Buy a new car, Rich.  Build a report, Rich. Wear nice clothing and remain clean shaven, groomed and such, Rich.  
 

Pretty hard to hide the foreigner appearance and foreign sounding name.  Try as they might, being labeled this way is a common thing.  It definitely should not be considered as a way the couple asked for these troubles.  

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bob in Iligan

Oh gosh, we pay these events no heed.

We were in Iligan City at our place while that nifty five month war went on with ISIS.  I talked to a number of refugees who were quite pleased to tell me they agreed with ISIS.  They just didn't want to do any killing themselves.  Occupy Christian houses, empty their bank accounts, take their vehicles - sure.  Just no wet work themselves.

So anyway we're going to be there for five months starting in November.  We have a couple of very different options for our next place.  But neither of them has Muslims.  We have nothing against them.  It's just their desire to kill me I have a problem with. 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jawny

Has there been any indication that this abduction was related to ISIS or other extremist groups?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bama
10 minutes ago, Jawny said:

Has there been any indication that this abduction was related to ISIS or other extremist groups?  

None----at least so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Sailfish Bay Fishing Charters

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..