Salty Dog

Forum Burnout & Member Interactions

Salty Dog

After reading through the thread where some members posted their thoughts about the forum. It made me wonder if maybe some members are experiencing burnout.

Lets face it. Some of those who have been here for years have pretty much seen the same questions, answers, discussions and even jokes, over and over again. Or maybe you're just getting tired of reading threads that have nothing to do with the Philippines. Even if it's about the Philippines, there are some stories that just get tiresome to some members because they are basically the same thing over and over with just the location and names changing. 

Several members posted their dislike of other members showing disrespect or making light for others members or their posts. You might have noticed that some of those members you feel are making too light of a subject or appear to be sarcastic, are often long time members with hundreds if not thousands of posts. 

The term "Old Boys Club" is often used to describe these long time members, appearing usually to be used as a negative term. But is it really? Are your best friends people you've recently met, or more likely people you've known for some time? With time, members learn more about each other and often become online friends. They may also develop friendships in the real word. Often times, what appears to be rude or callous behavior in a member's post, is due to familiarity. You may call your friend an SOB and he would laugh it off (or not), but if you called a stranger an SOB, those are likely fighting words.

I'm sure some may see staff as members of such a group. Though in my case, most oldtimers on the forum have been around 10 or more years longer than I have. 

One obvious thing I gathered from the many post was that you can't please everyone. Time and time again, a member would say they want to see something change and shortly after, another member would say they didn't want it to change.

post-14790-0-68134400-1463607089.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

to_dave007
20 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

You may call your friend an SOB and he would laugh it off (or not), but if you called a stranger an SOB, those are likely fighting words.

One obvious thing I gathered from the many post was that you can't please everyone.

Hmmm..  Where is it written that you must please everyone..  you SOB?  (I assume that means Special Online Brother..  right?)

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

T.S.

Facebook groups have been killing interaction on many forums, despite forums handling some aspects like organization much better. 

Edited by T.S.
  • Like 4

Cebuandrew
7 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

The term "Old Boys Club" is often used to describe these long time members, appearing usually to be used as a negative term. But is it really?

I think it is. The recent thread that started this all has been a fun read for the most part, but it "felt" like the Old Boys Club early in it. One "old boy" asked a question about who has been banned last few years, I answered with a few names, only to be ridiculed by another "old boy." And a bit of "old boy" ass-kissing ensued. But, upon learning in that thread, for the first time in my 4 1/2 years here, that this entire time there has been a secret "forum within a forum" on here...well, I've been questioning this past week this place. Just didn't feel so welcome after that little discovery.

I have gotten a LOT of good information on here over the years. Some posts in that thread say all information here has already been discussed, but that is not true: Thanks to places like BOI and LTO, etc., who change their rules and procedures every few months, this forum will always be a great help. Is what it is. The Old Boys Club will always be on here, always older than me and anyone else who joined this forum last few years. My 2 cents to this recent thread about this forum.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

to_dave007
1 hour ago, Cebuandrew said:

upon learning in that thread, for the first time in my 4 1/2 years here, that this entire time there has been a secret "forum within a forum" on here...

Not really a secret..  it's been talked about quite a lot..  but many members.. including me.. don't bother with it.  Never been there.  And from what I know of it..  I'm glad it's there, because it keeps a lot of the "shyte" out of the main forum.

• Like 3

Davaoeno
2 hours ago, Cebuandrew said:

Just didn't feel so welcome after that little discovery.

:itsokay::itsokay::itsokay:

• Haha 3

Cebuandrew
24 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

:itsokay::itsokay::itsokay:

Haters will be haters...and so will jealous losers. See you tomorrow Dave on my white sand beach...oh wait. Only member I did meet off this site in Davao, told me all about you. Came to Santa Fe 2 years ago and told me what a hater you are. Idk...I'd like to judge...fill up your oxygon tank, check ur wheelchair tire pressures and spend ur 6-days to travel here. We do get a few quadriplegics here, so maybe da island can accommodate your big mind. I'd put you up in my hotel, but we have stairs and clearly, you are an invalid.

• Confused 1

Kahuna
9 minutes ago, Cebuandrew said:

Haters will be haters...and so will jealous losers. See you tomorrow Dave on my white sand beach...oh wait. Only member I did meet off this site in Davao, told me all about you. Came to Santa Fe 2 years ago and told me what a hater you are. Idk...I'd like to judge...fill up your oxygon tank, check ur wheelchair tire pressures and spend ur 6-days to travel here. We do get a few quadriplegics here, so maybe da island can accommodate your big mind. I'd put you up in my hotel, but we have stairs and clearly, you are an invalid.

Perhaps Ian's opinion didn't agree with you but you are taking this to a whole new level.  :hi:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Headshot

Davaoeno (because his home is in Davao) is named Ian. He isn't an invalid (or even physically challenged even though we used to tease about that in banter). While he is very sarcastic (and sometimes doesn't know when to quit) and always a contrarian (that is the lawyer in him), he isn't a stereotypical keyboard warrior living in his mother's house. He probably gets out and about more than most LinC Forums members. An old friend of mine once told me that the real value in getting a law degree was that it taught you when to keep your mouth shut. Clearly, Ian never took that class in his law studies. If his snarky comments really bother you, then it would probably be best to just "ignore" him.

• Like 3

lamoe
37 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Davaoeno (because his home is in Davao) is named Ian. He isn't an invalid (or even physically challenged even though we used to tease about that in banter). While he is very sarcastic (and sometimes doesn't know when to quit) and always a contrarian (that is the lawyer in him), he isn't a stereotypical keyboard warrior living in his mother's house. He probably gets out and about more than most LinC Forums members. An old friend of mine once told me that the real value in getting a law degree was that it taught you when to keep your mouth shut. Clearly, Ian never took that class in his law studies. If his snarky comments really bother you, then it would probably be best to just "ignore" him.

I've met him, treated him like a human - gave him some food, drink, and when show some kindness  calmed down :cool:

I don't do sarcasm very often but when I do - when used correctly  - a rapier is more effective than a broadsword.

Davaoeno
10 hours ago, Cebuandrew said:

I love it !!  Your " secret source" told you all about me-  and about my wheelchair !!    As far as I recall  I've only ever met 2 Linc members in Davao .  Bluecarabao who is my friend, and Joseph who helps the indigenous people.   Neither of them is the type to have anything to do with  someone like you .

6 days to get to Santa Fe ? I think you are confusing Mindanao with Mongolia .  Your attention to detail leaves much to be desired .  [ either that or you just make "facts" up as you go along ]

Oh btw-  I said secret source- try not to interpret that as secret sauce !! 

Perhaps to save time you can put a sign on the front of your "hotel" that says " no invalids allowed !"

Do you have any other " member interactions" that you would care to share with us ??

• Like 2

Salty Dog
13 hours ago, Cebuandrew said:

But, upon learning in that thread, for the first time in my 4 1/2 years here, that this entire time there has been a secret "forum within a forum" on here...well, I've been questioning this past week this place. Just didn't feel so welcome after that little discovery.

The word secret doesn't appear a single time in the thread you're refering to. I assume you're refering to the Comfort Room (CR) which is often referred to as a hidden forum. 

Eighteen months ago, I posted two threads about the CR. It was explained in some detail and was even open to questions and discussion. 

https://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/108587-the-comfort-room-forum-questions-answers/

https://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/108586-so-you-want-to-join-the-comfort-room/

It is also mentioned in the forums rules that all new members are required to read.

On 1/10/2018 at 1:17 AM, Member #1 said:

The Comfort Room (CR) Forums - The CR contains forums for discussing politics, religion and controversial topics. These forums are hidden from guest viewers and the general membership. The membership requirements for access to the CR are posted in the So You Want To Join The Comfort Room thread. Once you have been granted access, you may post associated topics/posts in these forums.

For those members who were already members when the rules were redone, I posted an announcement for everyone to review them again.

On 5/15/2019 at 4:49 AM, Salty Dog said:

Forum Rules

The Forum Rules were redone not too long ago. Please read them if you haven't done so recently.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

shadow
20 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

I love it !!  Your " secret source" told you all about me-  and about my wheelchair !!    As far as I recall  I've only ever met 2 Linc members in Davao .  Bluecarabao who is my friend, and Joseph who helps the indigenous people.   Neither of them is the type to have anything to do with  someone like you .

6 days to get to Santa Fe ? I think you are confusing Mindanao with Mongolia .  Your attention to detail leaves much to be desired .  [ either that or you just make "facts" up as you go along ]

Oh btw-  I said secret source- try not to interpret that as secret sauce !! 

Perhaps to save time you can put a sign on the front of your "hotel" that says " no invalids allowed !"

Do you have any other " member interactions" that you would care to share with us ??

Well he evidently has a lot of interactions with moderators that he could share!

That is, if he was not afraid of them all getting debunked like everything else by "the good ol boys"...

• Haha 2

RedRanger
On 9/29/2019 at 12:10 AM, T.S. said:

Facebook groups have been killing interaction on many forums, despite forums handling some aspects like organization much better. 

My buddy in Texas owns a fishing and a hunting forum, it is very strong and FB groups seems to have no effect on it, I think he had a strong base before FB got real popular and he also maintains it.

He has purchased 3 lake houses in the last 10 years.