Alk

Had my first confrontation with a Filipino last night

to_dave007
4 hours ago, Alk said:

The first is that there is a huge thread right under this one about this board being dead lately.  I'm doing my part to at least have a topic of discussion here.

And quite rightly so Alk..  please don't take my comment to mean you shouldn't have posted.  It's a good topic.  I don't think you did anything wrong.  However, this kind of confrontation can crop up in any of our lives..  and at BEST can be unpleasant to deal with..  and at worst can be dangerous.  Talking about it is important.  

But I don't think you broke any laws.

• Like 4

Cebuandrew
4 hours ago, Bama said:

Care to fight the 50 witnesses of this road rage incident while you are at it???

Another reason to take some time to learn the local language. Me, I would have exited the car and went off on the motorbike rider in Bisayan. Witnesses would have taken my side. OP sounds like he got stuck in a bad situation. Could happen anywhere in the world. But, integrating into that spot in the world can mean all the difference in situations like this.  

enoonmai

Since you're leaving in a month or so it's understandable that you would be apprehensive, especially given the expense and hassle of getting the visa. From what you said you did the right thing. I wouldn't make any official inquiries about it and there's no reason for anyone to know you're leaving except those with need to know.

Just before I left 3 years ago a crazy old woman across the street told our helper she was reporting me for selling drugs. She was PO'ed because we wouldn't give her money. This was right at the height of the drug hysteria. There's a lot of good things that I miss but having wheels-up for the last time isn't so bad either. Good luck to you. 

• Like 1

HeyMike

Something similar happened to me as with Alk. I was riding my bike in Carcar and a box truck stopped in front of me. I thought he was turning left so I began to pass him on the right. I could not see in front of the truck. Fortunately, I was not going fast because a woman holding a baby and a small child at her side was crossing the street in front of the truck and the driver was being nice and letting her go.

I applied the front brake of the bike and the cable snapped, so I quickly turned into the trucks front wheel, avoiding the woman. Naturally, the woman got scared and then started bitching at me how filipinos love their children and don't need careless foreigners to kill them in accidents. I was very apologetic and showed her that my brake cable had just snapped while trying to stop. But she just kept yapping and yapping. I apologized a couple more times and told her I was glad no one got hurt and left.... with her still yapping.

About 2 minutes later there is a guy on his motorcycle beeping his horn and yelling to me that the lady is not finished talking to me. I thought to myself...dude, you have got to be kidding. As if I was going to turn around and go back to listen to this women bitch at me some more. I told the dude... yeah, she's finished talking to me. I'm late, bye. The dude turned around and went back.

I was meeting up with some LinC members for the First Green Trails Ride. That's how long ago this was.

• Like 1

Soupeod
7 hours ago, Goetz1965 said:

I just wait for such to happen, and I WILL post the dshcamvideo when I get out with my Arnis Stick in hand, telling him "I do Arnis and Karate - you sure want to fight me Sir?" 
Just today when I was going to Ayala, you may know the right turn to take going to the parking garage.
Sure theres signe "No stopping anytine", so that bloke in his vios was parking there. I could have passed him on his left side, but I wasn't in the mood. I stopped behind him in my Montero Sport - HORNED and used my Distance Lights. First he didn't move, so I horned continuously flashing my lights, So he started moving slowly a bit to let me pass - but I didn't pass - that way I pushed him those 10 meters until the spot where he can drive right into the designated parking slot.

You wanna see the dashcam video? Just tell me then I can upload tomorrow.

Goetz, here is your new avatar!  :lol:

t1.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Bama
8 hours ago, Cebuandrew said:

Me, I would have exited the car and went off on the motorbike rider in Bisayan. Witnesses would have taken my side.

Yeah, well it could have ended up that way or you could have found yourself in a mob of Filipinos who have already judged you to be wrong because you are a foreigner.

9 hours ago, Jack Rat said:

Quite recently a friend found himself in a similar situation as you .The guy leapt out of his SUV screaming and brandishing a gun. My mate reached under his seat where he had a hefty iron bar stored, grabbed it, and leapt out of his vehicle to confront the guy with the weapon who quickly walked back to his vehicle blocking the traffic, and simply drove off..

Sorry, I'm not bringing an iron bar to a gun fight. Glad that it worked out for your friend though.

Edited by Bama
  • Like 4

smokey

Weeks ago i am on SRP headed to seaside passing shell station a small car flys out of the station right into second lane i swerve to my left the person in that lane swevers toward center...  The car that started it say caution new lady driver .... Close but the guy and girl i swevered into gets in front of us slows down sticks whole white arm out window flipping me off and honking . i keep driving he gets behind me honking and flipping me off over and over then front of me slowing down i ignored him . finally by the new filvest project he moves over to let me pass and i do . i did not mean to swerve but hey see new lady driver guy has passanger window down driving next to me looks like he will throw cup of something out at my truck i roll my window down he is screaming but must of noticed my passanger is in uniform my wife nephew pnp3 and he slows down we go on ..  Dang he was the lucky one that day

• Like 1

Goetz1965

Month ago happened at the traffic lights at JY Sqazre Mall Lahug. Lights turn green but the Taxi in fron of me doesn't go. I wait for him, nothing. Then the taxi slowly starts rolling downhill to my car. It was about 1 meter away. Sure that Taxidriver has a manual car and now has problems with the gears ... Lol ... But even I horn now nothing changes until he gently bumps into my front. Not fast but very slow so no damage could happen. 
I wasn't in the mood for more, and that day traffic enforcers were there and directly approached us.
So all I did was pulling my window down and telling the enforcer that the everything is ok, the taxi just bumped in me but no damagae so let us drive on.
Taxi then finally started his motor and got the gear in so we just parted. No fuss at all. Just be a relaxed driver ans see your car as what is is - not a precious diamond but just a tool to get you from A to B so signs of usage are normal.

Jack Rat
1 hour ago, Bama said:

Yeah, well it could have ended up that way or you could have found yourself in a mob of Filipinos who have already judged you to be wrong because you are a foreigner.

Sorry, I'm not bringing an iron bar to a gun fight. Glad that it worked out for your friend though.

I guess he is just not the type to lock the doors and sit pissing his pants.

• Haha 1

fred42

Can you imagine this shit going down in the U.S?

• Like 1

Headshot

Guns get pulled here too. Sometimes shots are fired rather than just showing the gun.

• Like 2

Jack Rat
35 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Guns get pulled here too. Sometimes shots are fired rather than just showing the gun.

Usually a cowardly attack from behind, in a dark ally, or motorbike hit and run, rarely in a public place with many witnesses. 

• Thanks 1

hyaku
20 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

I wouldn't worry about it.. He was likely having a bad day long before you happened along..  And if there was no accident then exactly what did you do wrong?

They are like children when upset.

Actually ECC is thirty days. They wont give you one day over and check the calender.

Edited by hyaku
  • Haha 1

Woolf
3 minutes ago, hyaku said:

Actually it's thirty days. They wont give you one day over and check the calender.

What is 30 days ??