Alk

Had my first confrontation with a Filipino last night

Alk

After 5 years here, I had my  first confrontation with a Filipino. 

I was driving down from the hills above Lahug towards JY Mall last night when I swerved to avoid a motorcycle passing me at high speed.  It was on an extremely dark part of the highway, and in doing so, I evidently almost hit a motorcyclist on my right.  I had no idea at the time this happened.  At the bottom of the hill, the driver maneuvered his bike in front of mine, parked it and asked me to step out of my car and fight him (he was at least 40 years younger than me).  He screamed and threatened me for 2-3 minutes without me being able to answer.  I have no doubt he would have shot me if he had a gun.  He  said he wanted to arrest me for intentionally trying to run him off the road.  I apologized but he was demanding my my license, which I would not give it to him.  I'm fully insured, but my car never touched his bike.  After about 5-10 minutes of completely holding up traffic in one of the busiest intersections in the area, a couple of guys asked me my side of the story, and I told them what I knew and that there had been no accident.  They then managed to pull the other driver aside.  At least 50 people were at scene watching this spectacle unfold.  After another minute or two of causing a massive traffic jam, I decided I might as well leave.  I managed to get around the guy's bike and slowly drove off. The only response from the driver was him putting both hands over his head, giving me the finger with both..and screaming an obscenity  at me

I'll  be leaving the country in the not-too-distant future.  I'm thinking that when I go to get the exit clearance, there is a chance it will be denied due to this guy having gotten my license plate number (no idea if he actually did) and has reported me to the police.  On what charge, I'm not certain. If he did..i will not be able to immediately leave the country and I might not be able to clear things up in time to use my tickets.  I was wondering if anyone knew if it is possible for me to check to see if there was a complaint filed against me, and how to proceed with dealing with that.

Thanks in advance.

Bama

I would watch my "six" for awhile if I were you that's for sure. I have had a scrap or three like this where I did absolutely nothing wrong (once I was simply standing by my shopping cart in Robinsons ) but there was no appeasing the ranting "victim".

You could apply for an exit clearance as early as the date on your tickets will allow just to be sure.

Woolf

exit clearance ECC is valid for 1 month

that is for tourist

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 2

to_dave007
1 hour ago, Alk said:

After 5 years here, I had my  first confrontation with a Filipino. 

I was driving down from the hills above Lahug towards JY Mall last night when I swerved to avoid a motorcycle passing me at high speed.  It was on an extremely dark part of the highway, and in doing so, I evidently almost hit a motorcyclist on my right.  I had no idea at the time this happened.  At the bottom of the hill, the driver maneuvered his bike in front of mine, parked it and asked me to step out of my car and fight him (he was at least 40 years younger than me).  He screamed and threatened me for 2-3 minutes without me being able to answer.  I have no doubt he would have shot me if he had a gun.  He  said he wanted to arrest me for intentionally trying to run him off the road.  I apologized but he was demanding my my license, which I would not give it to him.  I'm fully insured, but my car never touched his bike.  After about 5-10 minutes of completely holding up traffic in one of the busiest intersections in the area, a couple of guys asked me my side of the story, and I told them what I knew and that there had been no accident.  They then managed to pull the other driver aside.  At least 50 people were at scene watching this spectacle unfold.  After another minute or two of causing a massive traffic jam, I decided I might as well leave.  I managed to get around the guy's bike and slowly drove off. The only response from the driver was him putting both hands over his head, giving me the finger with both..and screaming an obscenity  at me

I'll  be leaving the country in the not-too-distant future.  I'm thinking that when I go to get the exit clearance, there is a chance it will be denied due to this guy having gotten my license plate number (no idea if he actually did) and has reported me to the police.  On what charge, I'm not certain. If he did..i will not be able to immediately leave the country and I might not be able to clear things up in time to use my tickets.  I was wondering if anyone knew if it is possible for me to check to see if there was a complaint filed against me, and how to proceed with dealing with that.

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't worry about it.. He was likely having a bad day long before you happened along..  And if there was no accident then exactly what did you do wrong?

Alk

I'm not leaving until November...so I have to wait things out..good to know about the one month though...i can at least check to see if I can get the clearance and if not, have a month to clear up any legal issues.

To Bama...I am lying low. There is only one road in/out of where I live.  I would have been happy to resolve the issue last night in any reasonable fashion.   I was lucky those two other guys moved him away from me (I refused to get out of my car).  The Filipino in question definitely wanted his pound of flesh however.  He has his side of the argument too.

Dave007.  The two things I'm figuring he can nail me on are:  

"almost hit and run"

"leaving the scene of an almost accident"

Levity aside, he seemed to be accusing me of intentionally  trying to run him off the road.  There could be some sort of charge based on that.  It's his word against mine... It is his country however, and I suppose that carries some weight in matters such as this one.

Edited by Alk

Bama
10 minutes ago, Alk said:

Dave007.  The two things I'm figuring he can nail me on are:  

Three things actually................the third being that "you are a foreigner".

Don't you have a old friend that you haven't seen in ages that lives on Luzon perhaps.........................

• Thanks 1

Jawny

Just my intuition, but if something from the "authorities" were to happen, you’d almost certainly know quickly. That is, if he filed a police report, then you’d be expected to respond, to the police. After that, it would be his move with regard to any charges being filed. It’s been my experience that the police will not simply take the word of the accuser without first hearing your side. 

Alk
11 minutes ago, Bama said:

Three things actually................the third being that "you are a foreigner".

Don't you have a old friend that you haven't seen in ages that lives on Luzon perhaps.........................

As I said..i'm lying so. I live in the most secure compound in the Cebu area, so I'm pretty safe here.  I might just decide to sell my car a few weeks earlier than planned so I don't have to deal with driving in it.... anyway..i'm fairly confident things will be fine...but I'm not certain about that.

Alk
1 minute ago, Jawny said:

Just my intuition, but if something from the "authorities" were to happen, you’d almost certainly know quickly. That is, if he filed a police report, then you’d be expected to respond, to the police. After that, it would be his move with regard to any charges being filed. It’s been my experience that the police will not simply take the word of the accuser without first hearing your side. 

My wife is saying the same thing...I'd like to be proactive about this, but I might wait a few days for this to play out.  The guy was seeing red, and there's a decent chance he didn't memorize my license plate...but there is a chance that someone in the fairly large crowd did.  I'm not sure if Filipino law requires me to stay at the location (across from JY)  where I was blocked in, or since there was no accident, I was entitled to drive away.   If the accuser and the others there would have tried to stop me from leaving..saying I had to wait and talk to the police, I would have stayed.  I pulled out very slowly to test the waters, and was surprised when they didn't

Alk
1 minute ago, RangerUp said:

I would have backed up and casually driven around him, as you had every right to do.

I  tried that at the beginning... i was blocked in by cars in back of me making it very difficult..and the first time I tried the guy literally put his body in my way.  when the area in back of me cleared up...I eventually did do that.  The whole time I was debating the legality of doing so  and weighing that against the probability that this guy was eventually going to smash is way into my car and things would have gotten much worse.

Goetz1965
2 hours ago, Alk said:

At the bottom of the hill, the driver maneuvered his bike in front of mine, parked it and asked me to step out of my car and fight him (he was at least 40 years younger than me). 

I just wait for such to happen, and I WILL post the dshcamvideo when I get out with my Arnis Stick in hand, telling him "I do Arnis and Karate - you sure want to fight me Sir?" 
Just today when I was going to Ayala, you may know the right turn to take going to the parking garage.
Sure theres signe "No stopping anytine", so that bloke in his vios was parking there. I could have passed him on his left side, but I wasn't in the mood. I stopped behind him in my Montero Sport - HORNED and used my Distance Lights. First he didn't move, so I horned continuously flashing my lights, So he started moving slowly a bit to let me pass - but I didn't pass - that way I pushed him those 10 meters until the spot where he can drive right into the designated parking slot.

You wanna see the dashcam video? Just tell me then I can upload tomorrow.

Edited by Goetz1965

Alk

Too late to edit it..but in a  post above , i said "i'm lying" that's a typo..it should  say I'm lying low!

to_dave007

I think the police have enough to do without worrying about "almost" accidents with zero deaths and zero injuries and zero damage.

Worrying about leaving the scene of an non-accident..  you worry too much Alk.

• Like 6

Alk
3 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

I think the police have enough to do without worrying about "almost" accidents with zero deaths and zero injuries and zero damage.

Worrying about leaving the scene of an non-accident..  you worry too much Alk.

Hi Dave, you are quite possibly right.  I'd make two points for the sake of discussion though. 

The first is that there is a huge thread right under this one about this board being dead lately.  I'm doing my part to at least have a topic of discussion here.

The next point is that so far this year, I've went through the processes of getting married and then attempting to get an immigration visa for my wife in place.  I could write a post here as long as my arm about all the mini-disasters I've gone through.  In short, and to quote Murphy, if anything can go wrong, it will go wrong. In fact I'm tempted to say Murphy spend a lot of time in the Philippines.  I always hope for the best...but expect the worst.  That has turned out to be the case more-often-than not.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

RogerDuMond

Although it won't do you any good now, in that situation, I would have called the police.

• Like 1