Sign in to follow this  
to_dave007

Playing Russian Roulette, and Losing, in Cebu - The Final Chapter !

Bama

Thank you for sharing this story.Sounds like that you did your best---that's all anyone can ask or expect.

As I read it I could easily place my younger brother in your story who acted much like your friend did----almost line for line.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Gus

Thanks for the update Dave ..I remember the original thread .
Please post the " final week" report if you survive it !

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ozepete

Good on you Dave but if it was me I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire.  People get like this because they become dependant and too f##g lazy to help themselves. Let him rot! There are millions who need help, who would respond to a hand up but obviously not this parasite.  

Edited by Ozepete
spelling
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Headshot

Dave, do you really think he will get on the plane? This guy is a player, and he will continue to play as long as he can.

• Like 2

Davaoeno

Eh Dave- I'm having a little cash flow  problem  at present ( I dont  smoke but Blue Lable isnt cheap!) 

Maybe you could put your new fence on hold for awhile and shoot me 50K for a month or two?

Dont forget Dave- I'm a fellow Canadian !! 

Thanks in advance! 

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

to_dave007
1 hour ago, Headshot said:

Dave, do you really think he will get on the plane? This guy is a player, and he will continue to play as long as he can.

I've asked myself same question..  he knows that pretty much everyone else has blocked all contact with him now..  If he doesn't get on the plane, he knows I will as well. 

2 hours ago, Gus said:

Please post the " final week" report if you survive it !

I'll survive it.  and I will.

1 hour ago, Ozepete said:

if it was me I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire.

You and most others pete..  You are in the majority.  And after this experience, I'll join the majority.

50 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

Eh Dave- I'm having a little cash flow at present ( I dont  smoke but Blue Lable isnt cheap!) 

Maybe you could put your new fence on hold for awhile and shoot me 50K for a month or two?

My soft heart is all used up.  Sorry.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Voyager39

It may be more obvious now, but he (and everyone he knows) would almost certainly have been better off returning to Canada the moment he started running out of resources. He'd have health insurance, at least some type of social safety net, and wouldn't be wearing out his support system to a progressively increasing extent with each passing day.
You are right to cut ties with him. I appreciate reading this story as a cautionary tale of what to expect if I were to ever face this situation, which I hope never happens.

Sent from my SM-J810Y using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

to_dave007
5 hours ago, Voyager39 said:

You are right to cut ties with him. I appreciate reading this story as a cautionary tale of what to expect if I were to ever face this situation, which I hope never happens.

That's EXACTLY why I wrote it.

Todays happenings...

• He forwards me an email from Canadian embassy which reads "Our Case Management Office in Ottawa advised that since you intention is to settle your pension and not live in Canada, you are not eligible for a loan, and your application for a loan of public funds is now refused. We are therefore unable to provide funds to cover your return airfare to Canada"
  • One Canadian I know..  who never met this guy.  has pledged $100 towards his repatriation.
  • His drinking buddies have refused all requests for assistance.

I will try to reverse the Canadian govt decision..  He has no pension to speak of, so no idea how his "pension: would get him back to PI.  Plus he's not eligible anyway fir another 9 years. Sounds like nonsense.

• Like 2

Bama
12 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

He forwards me an email from Canadian embassy which reads "Our Case Management Office in Ottawa advised that since you intention is to settle your pension and not live in Canada,

I thought that your friend had finally agreed to go home and live in Canada..........

I wonder if an American who draws a disability pension can live in the PI full time? Seem to recall several non-retired vets on LinC who are doing this........IDK.

• Like 1

to_dave007

My email back to Govt of Canada case management officer.. Hope they reconsider.

XXX advise me today that he receive the following embassy message “Our Case Management Office in Ottawa advised that since you intention is to settle your pension and not live in Canada, you are not eligible for a loan, and your application for a loan of public funds is now refused. We are therefore unable to provide funds to cover your return airfare to Canada”.

As you can imagine, this leaves me VERY confused, and makes me unsure what my course of action should be:

1. You ask me to send money to partially fund his repatriation, but it’s not yet approved?
  2. You ask me to help him get Exit Clearance…  but for what reason if he will not receive a ticket?
  3. XXX is in his 50’s... and has VERY limited work history…  and is not yet eligible for Canada Pension Plan.. and has NO other pension plan to look forward to.  I’m sure you have access to these records. So I have no idea what “pension” he is expected to settle.  I do not believe he will ever be in a financial position to leave Canada again.
  4. He will arrive in Canada with no assets..  and no income..  unemployed and unemployable.. having been disowned by his family..  and having consumed already the goodwill of his friends.  He will most likely be homeless… sleeping on a park bench.  How on earth do you think he will EVER be in a position to leave Canada?  This is nonsense.

Is this some game being played?

Please advise what course of action you wish me to take on Monday morning my time.  At your request I had committed to help him get his exit clearance, but this message that XXX has received leaves me wondering why the Government of Canada wishes to waste my time and money.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Paddy

I expect he told the govt “I’ll fix my disability pension and then go back to the Philippines” or something similar. 

Quite correctly, if uncharitably, the govt is reluctant to pay for a non-repatriation flight ...

Just my opinion...

Plus - it’s clear it’s a loan and not some form of grant. If he has said something along the lines of above, the chances of repayment are vanishingly small. 

Edited by Paddy
Additional
  • Like 2

shadow
47 minutes ago, Paddy said:

I expect he told the govt “I’ll fix my disability pension and then go back to the Philippines” or something similar. 

Quite correctly, if uncharitably, the govt is reluctant to pay for a non-repatriation flight ...

Just my opinion...

Plus - it’s clear it’s a loan and not some form of grant. If he has said something along the lines of above, the chances of repayment are vanishingly small. 

My understanding of how the US embassy works in similar circumstances, if one does get a "loan" to get repatriated, one must forfeit their passport, and will not be returned until the loan is repaid. I am surprised that Canada does not have a similar policy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Cebuandrew
15 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

so he has money for gas and smokes.

Sad story. I remember years ago, I was living on my island with a friend who made fresh bread each day and had a small resto. There was an American here, that had a wife and daughter, and he would come in each morning for months, asking my friend for day-old bread. He was always chain smoking. One morning, he was telling me how sad it was that he could not even afford a local cup of coffee. 5 pisos for a 3-in-one pack. I got a mug, dumped a pack of local coffee in it, walked off to get hot water for him, and when I got back, he was using the mug as an ashtray. Very sad to see stuff like this. I never made an effort towards him after that, and glad you knew when to walk away as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

to_dave007

Received email back from Canadian Govt.. Clear that their decision to NOT support a flight back is final, and based upon things he said in a phone call this past week.  So..  he HAD the approval.. and then shot off his mouth and lost it.

3 hours ago, shadow said:

one must forfeit their passport, and will not be returned until the loan is repaid. 

I believe Canada is same.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 3