My this forum is quiet...

musicman666

5 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Truthfully, I thought this was a topic where members could post their feelings as they saw fit. It actually surprises me if mods have been hiding posts. How can you you possibly get "off-topic" when the topic (as stated) was so broad? It seems to me like this should be one of those topics where free discussion is embraced, as long as nobody gets nasty (in any sense of the word). Look at how popular this topic has become in such a short time. It is obvious that members were looking for this kind of discussion. Some topics should be kept to a narrow discussion (such as one where a member is asking for help). Others should be allowed to run free without interference (unless forum rules about bullying or threatening language are broken).

Truthfully, at least one member could not make the connection between the forum being quiet and how lucky Steve is, as they reported it as being off topic. Honestly, I failed to make the connection myself, but it was before my morning coffee after a rough night, so admittedly my brain may not have been as sharp as yours at the time. Maybe you could explain that connection to us?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jawny

• Headshot

• shadow

• cookie47

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think the forum has improved over the past month or so, as it has swung away from personal attacks, hate talk and chest beating thank God. Real stories of humanity like Shadows post recently. 

I pop in from time to time to see if there is anything interesting....what the hell happened ? a few years ago it was like shit was going on ...loads of heated debate ...really entertaining ...bu

All the carping on the Mods/Admins in place now is pretty ludicrous. You lads wouldn't have made it this far back in the day...jus sayin   Topic wise this thread's been pretty good, for the most

Posted Images

RogerDuMond
9 minutes ago, shadow said:

Truthfully, at least one member could not make the connection between the forum being quiet and how lucky Steve is, as they reported it as being off topic. Honestly, I failed to make the connection myself, but it was before my morning coffee after a rough night, so admittedly my brain may not have been as sharp as yours at the time. Maybe you could explain that connection to us?

That post is not hidden.

18 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Truthfully, I thought this was a topic where members could post their feelings as they saw fit. It actually surprises me if mods have been hiding posts. How can you you possibly get "off-topic" when the topic (as stated) was so broad? It seems to me like this should be one of those topics where free discussion is embraced, as long as nobody gets nasty (in any sense of the word). Look at how popular this topic has become in such a short time. It is obvious that members were looking for this kind of discussion. Some topics should be kept to a narrow discussion (such as one where a member is asking for help). Others should be allowed to run free without interference (unless forum rules about bullying or threatening language are broken).

I just went through the whole topic, and the only posts that I can see hidden were hidden by an Admin for politics in the open forum.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, RogerDuMond said:

That post is not hidden.

I just went through the whole topic, and the only posts that I can see hidden were hidden by an Admin for politics in the open forum.

No, I hid nothing, just gently tried to coax the subject back somewhere near the topic. I realize that to some that would count towards being an overly aggressive moderator, as discussed earlier in the topic.

• Like 4
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

One member wants the thread to stay on topic. Yet another says there is nothing off topic in this thread.

Capture.JPG

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

I've been interested in the way this thread has gone.  Several days, many pages and lots of interesting comments related to how the forum has changed (or not?). There were some lighthearted bits of joking which kept the thread from becoming just a bitching session.  It even generated an interesting separate post from Salty Dog regarding member behavior. 

As well, the thread has included moderators participating and contributing.  The only "moderating" earlier today by Shadow was clearly a gentle nudge to return to topic the OP had started.  Some of the posts seemed to be going from light hearted humor to personal back and forth and even catching up.  No offense is intended by this comment, but the forum has a useful and easily accessible PM system.  That seems to be a way for members to reminisce or catch up with their lives. 

The OP didn't seem ask about how luck or success affects the activity in the LinC. 

Headshot
1 hour ago, RogerDuMond said:

That post is not hidden.

Thanks Roger. Like I said, I was surprised to hear that somebody was saying posts had been hidden for going off-topic. Of course, if a major LinC Forums rule (like talking politics, religion or controversial issues in the open forums) was broken by a post, I can definitely see where it would be hidden. Thank you for restoring my faith in the forum moderation. It seems just as fair now as it always has been. It sounds like the forums are still running on an even keel.

• Like 1
On 9/28/2019 at 7:25 AM, TheMatrix said:

Hey Allan, how's it going?  Still in Florida?  I love it there.  Yeah, I like to occasionally toot my own horn on what I've "EARNED" in my life.  Being raised from the depths of poverty in Chicago ghettos and hitting center stage... yup, had to toot my horn to get the publicity needed back in the early days or career building/maintaining.  Now days, life is pretty boring in fact.  No more center stage.  Living quietly on the farm doing some traveling whenever we can when the kids aren't in school.  Doing a little trading here and there for a few extra bucks.  My time and focus is all on family.  

But I'll never miss this forum and its certain members being short on innuendo insults.  heehee. 

Who cares?

Just idle banter Steve... based on my remembrance of you from when we both lived in Winland Towers.  My recollection of the "Dirty Kitchen" is somewhat different than yours though. In the DK I remember, insults were delivered via Mack truck, baseball bat, or pile-driver... not by "innuendo".  On the other hand, your viewing an insult pummeling by large cliques of DK members as "innuendo"  is probably a good coping strategy.  

No... not in Florida anymore.

Headshot
3 hours ago, afmayer said:

Just idle banter Steve... based on my remembrance of you from when we both lived in Winland Towers.  My recollection of the "Dirty Kitchen" is somewhat different than yours though. In the DK I remember, insults were delivered via Mack truck, baseball bat, or pile-driver... not by "innuendo".  On the other hand, your viewing an insult pummeling by large cliques of DK members as "innuendo"  is probably a good coping strategy.  

No... not in Florida anymore.

The CR is tame compared to the DK. Topics are still controversial (which is the purpose for the CR), but the attacks are fewer and farther between (and highly discouraged).

• Like 3