My this forum is quiet...

musicman666

Some of the members have known each other for years.  I assume on a personal (in person) basis.  One outcome of this is that members become aware of each other’s sensitivities and opinions. This may be political, religious, or whether the girls in Cebu are prettier than those in Davao and where to go to ogle them.

Ive found many threads ruined as a useful and informative thread because of the back and forth jabs these members make.  Not only off topic, but clearly just intended to provoke a reaction. 

I don’t consider that as useful and it interferes with my ability to gain the benefit of a useful dialogue.  I had always assumed the non public forum was a way to allow that.  

Obviously, some members enjoy the "fighting" as they post their likes or other other supportive comments, again, way off topic.

Im not sure where the "shitty" moderation comes in, but for my years of participating, I’m supportive of the way the forum has become a bit more civil.  

• Like 5
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jawny

• Headshot

• shadow

• cookie47

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think the forum has improved over the past month or so, as it has swung away from personal attacks, hate talk and chest beating thank God. Real stories of humanity like Shadows post recently. 

I pop in from time to time to see if there is anything interesting....what the hell happened ? a few years ago it was like shit was going on ...loads of heated debate ...really entertaining ...bu

All the carping on the Mods/Admins in place now is pretty ludicrous. You lads wouldn't have made it this far back in the day...jus sayin   Topic wise this thread's been pretty good, for the most

Posted Images

I personally am very grateful to this forum. Have been a member since 2007. Over the years I have gleaned information from the experienced expats with feet on the ground sharing the knowledge they have others.This has given me the confidence to make my move this coming Sunday. Information on visas, healthcare, renting a house and what to look for etc. 

I hope this forum can once again live up to its former mission, helping members by sharing knowledge, answering questions etc.

Thanks again

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Headshot
47 minutes ago, softail said:

I hope this forum can once again live up to its former mission, helping members by sharing knowledge, answering questions etc.

That can only happen with the help of our members. Somebody has to ask a question before it is answered. Answers only come if there are members who care enough to make thoughtful comments. Sometimes one member's comments will spur others to make even better comments, and that can lead to the best answers to the original questions. The health of LinC Forums (as a good source of information) is dependent on the willingness of members who participate in discussions to provide that information. Overall, I think that most questions that get asked get answered (provided there is somebody around who knows the answer).

• Like 3

People starting debates aren't discouraged in any way, however people seeking conflict are put on ice. Plenty of places in the forum to have and state strong opinions but it's put out there in a civilized manner while shouting is heavily discouraged.

People stir the pot here from time to time and conversation is allowed..until it's no longer just conversation and has become people shouting over each other.

Very orderly ..yes..  the rules in place work. If you seek excitement concerning the Philippines in some way then post an exciting article but arguing just for the sake of arguing will be discouraged. 

The Whippy Chronicles were legendary in how many times he snuck in,gained Admin trust and then totally blows himself out of the water with one of his sexual conquest stories which many agreed was NOT a good look for the forum.It's not a sexpat forum.  it's an expat one.

Feel free to quote and seek my input and I'l be more than happy to comply but things are as you see them here and wishing them different won't bring change.  

Still not satisfied perhaps you can purchase the forum and run it as you please.  In that way you can experience all the excitement and enjoyment you can handle  :thumbsup:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
Headshot

When I first joined LinC Forums (when Paul owned it), writing about politics, religion or other controversial topics would get you an immediate ban. Then, TheBob talked him into opening a hidden forum called, The Dirty Kitchen" which basically had no rules but couldn't be seen by the general public. It was a place where bullies could ride roughshod over other members. When the current owner bought LinC Forums from Paul, he closed the dirty kitchen because he didn't want that stuff on his website. However, he relented when members complained. He decided that a hidden forum could work, provided there were at least some rules.

So, that is what we have today. The hidden forum is called the "CR" and you have to request membership to see what is in it. You also have to meet certain qualifications (to join AND to remain a member of the CR). Basically, you have to be active in the forums. Not everybody qualifies, and the casual visitor to LinC Forums likely doesn't even know it exists. A lot of the "banter" than used to get members banned on a regular basis, now takes place in the CR, where controls are in place to ensure it doesn't get out of hand.

• Like 1

I’d probably post in the hidden forums except I’d miss the google maps and all the "links please" in the open forum.  I’m still trying to figure out what a libtard and snowflake is. Better I stay where the posts make sense, except my own?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
cookie47
2 hours ago, Jawny said:

libtard

Your not on your own. 

I did actually have to look it up... 

• Like 1
to_dave007
26 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

Your not on your own. 

I did actually have to look it up... 

I personally take offense when I hear anyone called a Libtard (which I assume is short for Liberal Retard) or Snowflake.  I see no distinction between those offensive names and many others. To me it seems like an attempt to silence them, or keep their views to themselves.

Someone said it's ok to attack the contents of a post.. but not the poster.  I agree with that, but still...  there is no place for some words..  and I should think that as adults, we can abide by that.  Surely it's not so difficult..  and yet we can still discuss and debate difficult subjects.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
cookie47
15 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

offense

It's quite funny as for myself ,, as it's not a saying/word that I've ever used/been called in my cultural background,,,, British/Australian!. (so thus I had to do a Google and initially was not offended). Google brought up what's pasted below. Note it has an US reverence. Snowflake is used in Australia.. 

libtard

noun [ C ]

US informal offensive. 

used by extreme right-wing people to refer to someone who believes in personal freedom and that money, property, and power should be shared fairly. Libtard is a combination of "liberal" and "retard":

• Like 2
HeyMike

All those speculating about the CR, but are not part of the CR, ... I say.... c'mon in... the waters fine.

• Haha 1
to_dave007

By the way..  Calling someone a misogynist, or extreme right wing, or any of the other names that the extreme left likes to throw around is equally an attempt to silence views.

Everyone is entitled to their views.  Just as I am entitled to not listen.

• Like 2
cookie47

Anouther comicle event regarding politics.

Politics is quite low on my things of interest and I probably would not have known that The Australian Prime Minister was in America with Mr Trump unless Bama had posted,, Haha,,,

We're all different...

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Edited by cookie47
Spelling
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, to_dave007 said:

I personally take offense when I hear anyone called a Libtard (which I assume is short for Liberal Retard) or Snowflake.  I see no distinction between those offensive names and many others. To me it seems like an attempt to silence them, or keep their views to themselves.

Someone said it's ok to attack the contents of a post.. but not the poster.  I agree with that, but still...  there is no place for some words..  and I should think that as adults, we can abide by that.  Surely it's not so difficult..  and yet we can still discuss and debate difficult subjects.

I agree to an extent Libtard is offensive - Snowflake is not

Since this is the open forum and further discussion on the topic of name calling  / labeling could lead to hidden posts, I'll start a topic in the CR

Libtard / Snowflake  which is a personnel attack?

Many times over the years of reading multiple topics, I’ve frequently seen the simple criticism from a moderator to a poster......if the topic bothers you, why do you read it?  

When the posters use the correct topic, it’s easy to simply skip past.  What becomes bothersome, as I’ve mentioned, is when a topic gets off track because some individuals want to share their political views.  I recall an example a while back of a fellow wanting some advice about jail breaking a phone he had just bought or was thinking of buying.  As he got the technical advice, along came the political advice about buying junk from China. This lead to comments about global economy and more.  

This sort of off topic crap is what degrades the forum.  

• Like 2