My this forum is quiet...

musicman666

I would like to post many things (especially about corruption/many of the problems I encounter), but the main reason I don't is because people have written about how governments/etc watch these forums. And while that may not be true, I don't want to risk losing the privilege of spending time in the Philippines. 

Also, I would love to be able to bump older threads, as there are many very interesting threads, but this forum doesn't allow that for some reason.

• Like 3
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jawny

• Headshot

• shadow

• cookie47

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think the forum has improved over the past month or so, as it has swung away from personal attacks, hate talk and chest beating thank God. Real stories of humanity like Shadows post recently. 

I pop in from time to time to see if there is anything interesting....what the hell happened ? a few years ago it was like shit was going on ...loads of heated debate ...really entertaining ...bu

All the carping on the Mods/Admins in place now is pretty ludicrous. You lads wouldn't have made it this far back in the day...jus sayin   Topic wise this thread's been pretty good, for the most

Posted Images

RogerDuMond
On 9/18/2019 at 9:05 AM, seanm said:

I would like to post many things (especially about corruption/many of the problems I encounter), but the main reason I don't is because people have written about how governments/etc watch these forums.

You can certainly comment on things that happen to you, and I am quite sure that you can do it without calling it corruption. Then others can make up their own minds and you don't have to worry about who is reading what you write.

On 9/18/2019 at 9:05 AM, seanm said:

Also, I would love to be able to bump older threads, as there are many very interesting threads, but this forum doesn't allow that for some reason.

PM a moderator or Admin what you would like to see resurrected and they will see what they can do. I believe that topics automatically close after a certain period of inactivity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Successful forums are interesting and informative. Paul had a monopoly on that for many years but I have no quarrel with present management. I don’t follow it as I once did but the bans that I am aware of were much deserved. I have found that the 1 or 2 similar sites (was an Admin on one for years) that are still around are pretty intolerant of any negative posts about the phils. I still find good info here even though I no longer live there.

• Like 1

There is one change I’ve noticed about how the forum is moderated which seems to reduce the "activity". I’ve noticed more times a moderator, or even a LinC member will comment....."back on topic". 

I don’t post as frequently as others and it sometimes surprised me when I noticed the post counts for some members were quite high....tens of thousands of posts. After a bit of reflection, i realized many of these posts were the back and forth giggling between members who used the forum as a form of entertainment.  

That was funny...yeah, I know...hahaha.....smiley face.....lol......

I realize this may sound like I'm critical of those who enjoy a bit of good humor.  That’s not the case.  I’m just aware that with a reminder to keep the conversation on track, there is less of the babble.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
RogerDuMond
2 hours ago, Jawny said:

There is one change I’ve noticed about how the forum is moderated which seems to reduce the "activity". I’ve noticed more times a moderator, or even a LinC member will comment....."back on topic". 

You don't often see the offending post(s) that caused the moderator to make that comment because it or they have been hidden, but the people involved understand the meaning. The one in this topics was when the discussion started to stray into politics which is only allowed in the CR and not the open forum. So rather than continue to hide posts, the comment "back on topic please" quite often handles the problem without further action being required.

• Like 4
Headshot
On 9/21/2019 at 1:53 AM, Ozepete said:

I think the forum has improved over the past month or so, as it has swung away from personal attacks, hate talk and chest beating thank God. Real stories of humanity like Shadows post recently. 

The forum needs to be like a mob of friends talking in a bar and with similar interactions. Put unfair shit on someone and you end up on your arse, relate to a mate that things a a bit rough and he is there to support you, got something funny going on, tell the mob and we all have good laugh., etc.  It's not a competition just a means for a mob of blokes and sheilas  sharing life's good, bad, funny and ugly times and we can identify as we mostly have been there and can recall. Lighten up all and enjoy with lots of life experiences to post please. 

...and here I thought a mob was a herd of kangaroos...  :cool:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
USMC-Retired

I read the forums but contribute little.  The forum has lost much of the luster primarily because in the past it was the social event following the social event.  That is as simple as it gets.  There were boating events sponsored by Big Rob, Paul monthly events, and the weekly outings at various locations.  We all shared things that happen and were fun.  It also has lost many larger than life people recently all good people Paul, Lee and Bob were great. They gave of themselves and life to living in the Philippines.  I knew them all and in 2007 when I joined it seemed like a tight community.  I would assume because of these two things it has taken a slide.  

Enjoy guys it be over before you know it.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

A few years back, while reading the forum topics, something became apparent I hadn’t noticed previously. Some posters/members of LinC were typically not one to start a conversation, but would join in with brief comments or sometimes just an image.  Usually these took the form of a bit of teasing or direct harassment.

What I began to notice was the number of likes these posts got.  It was obviously a form of cheering on the member who liked to stir things up.  The result seemed to be these posters, not really joining in the conversation, were becoming quite popular.  In some instances, it was like a tag team with buddies cheering each other on and trying to out do each other with witty "sarcasm"  

I also noticed a lot of misogynist comments, racist and other sorts of unpleasant comments being carefully worded so the poster wouldn’t directly be accused of breaking a rule.  Again,mthese were cheered on and tolerated by the moderators.

Some might say this is no big deal, just having some fun.  If a member took offense, then that member was accused of being thin skinned or a snowflake such as that.  It saddened and amused me when members would ask to be removed from the forum.  Seemed like they could remove themselves.  I suspect many have, especially newbies who are unsure of just what constitutes a dumb question.

This was quite noticeable when moderators were even sometimes involved in being the harassers.  Kinda like a referee interfering with the play of the game.

I don’t know any member on a personal level.  Not intended as a slight, it’s just that I don’t consider the forum as a social activity.  Again, not being judgemental of those who do.  After all, the forum membership is probably largely based in Cebu and environs, so a ferry trip and hotel is in order for any Wednesday coffee for myself.

Some of the members commenting in this thread about the lack of activity aren’t necessarily active themselves.  

• Thanks 3

If all the negative cry babies put on their positive hat :hi:and started a thread of interest instead of whinging, the forum would be booming. :thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6
57 minutes ago, Jawny said:

Some of the members commenting in this thread about the lack of activity aren’t necessarily active themselves.

Way to draw them out!!  :rolleyes:

• Like 2
Captain Camiguin
On 9/17/2019 at 11:43 PM, RogerDuMond said:

For Canadians, what he was saying, tongue in cheek, was it wouldn't appear so dead, if people opened up more discussions instead  of just popping in occasionally. 

An then u get a ban u say sumthings  sumone, no like, so wot u expecting ha ? Addimistra like the big bully ya, 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

All the carping on the Mods/Admins in place now is pretty ludicrous. You lads wouldn't have made it this far back in the day...jus sayin  :P

Topic wise this thread's been pretty good, for the most part, for the forum in my opinion.  :thumbs_up:

Some are unhappy and want changes which is their prerogative.  :cool:

We are lucky to have what Mods/Admins we have in place and dogging on them as "the problem" until you figure out what sort of anarchy it could become without them.:hi:

They have a job and they do it well ..[I've seen worse..]  :o

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
On 9/21/2019 at 4:09 AM, battleborn said:

I would venture to guess if there were two forums 1) LINC- Public Forum and 2) LINC- Anything that raises your blood pressure Forum.  Number 2 would have a greater following and reader contributions.  

There are only 50 or so members in the CR...

• Like 1

Every once in a while a post will be made that stimulates the sort of back and forth as this thread has.  In the instances I recall, nothing really changes regarding the operation of the forum.  There will be a long series of similar posts, revealing more about the poster than contributing to the improvement of the forum.

For myself, the only gripes I’ve had are in regard to the way the software works (so minor that I don’t complain).  When I see the posts regarding the way moderators do their jobs, it is predictably the posters with an abrasive manner who seem to gripe the most.

Of course, it’s obvious some moderators have a cranky side or are opinionated in ways I disagree with.  Even so, it reminds me a lot of basketball referees and the way they get criticized.  

I have no gripes with the way the forum is changed. As to the volume of traffic, I don’t  get the use of the term "sad" to describe how it has changed.  I think sad is what some movies are....and by that I mean poor quality, but still popular. 

The only time I received any points (which I didn’t even know existed) was many years back.  There was a fellow who was quite popular as he was so direct in his criticism of other members, but did it in a way that generally followed the rules.  This is years ago, not the most recent banning of a long time Cebu resident.  The fellow I refer to was establishing a business here (a night club sort of place...,restobar?). I was interested in the posts as he might have been able to share details as I started a bakery. 

I was new enough to the forum to not realize there were some unwritten rules with regard to the abrasive members.  Paul had a tolerant attitude toward members he knew and liked.....in spite of his boasts to the contrary. I didn’t realize this when I made a comment directed to the abrasive and bullying member. Something like...."Your posts remind me of the fellow who comes into a bar and yells out 'I can beat anybody here in a fight'.  It may be true, but some of came here to simply learn something about life in the Philippines". 

Boom!  My post was removed and I was given points.  

It’s my belief that some of the members of LinC just enjoy the scrappy nature of some some members and encourage them to dig into some of the more timid or thin skinned members.  Kinda like watching cage wresting even if you can’t fight.  Cheer the nasty ones on, give them likes and smiley faces  

I've heard several times of members complaining that the forum is exclusively for Cebu.  However, it's worth a look at the heading for the topics.  The reference is to the Philippines, not Cebu specifically.  Besides, those members who live outside the city of Cebu, they have very similar situations as I encounter in Leyte.  Instead of a ferry ride to the big city, they have a two or three hour drive.  

Pretty much every province has identical issues when compared to the cities.  The only thing I see that is different is the style of the pot pot or tricycles. Oh yeah, the language.  I can travel for less than an hour and have to speak Waray if I want to be understood.  

As to the reduced volume of posts, or the repetitive nature of entertaining, not informative posts, it makes me think back to when Sears changed they way they did their retail business.....I’m talking decades ago.  I’d didn’t like the changes, as Sears for me, was more for the catalog sales and Good, Better and Best products.  Selling stylish clothes and jewelry was just "sad". 

There, I got it out.  This sort of thread makes it hard to go off topic.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2