JohnSurrey

Anti Bullying IRR RA 10627

JohnSurrey

Is anyone here a teacher or married to one that might be able to assist me answering:

"What should happen when your child is bullied at school?"

I've had a look myself -  and IRR of RA 10627 seems to indicate that all bullying incidents are to be recorded and reported to the School's CPC which then makes a decision and the case is then submitted to the divisional Department of Education to which the parents can appeal...

It would appear that the school my children are at don't have a CPC and that all bullying incidents are dealt with personally by the Principal who writes nothing down and basically gives the guilty kids and their parents a slap on the wrist and makes them promise not to do it again etc...

• Like 1

shadow
1 hour ago, JohnSurrey said:

Is anyone here a teacher or married to one that might be able to assist me answering:

"What should happen when your child is bullied at school?"

I've had a look myself -  and IRR of RA 10627 seems to indicate that all bullying incidents are to be recorded and reported to the School's CPC which then makes a decision and the case is then submitted to the divisional Department of Education to which the parents can appeal...

It would appear that the school my children are at don't have a CPC and that all bullying incidents are dealt with personally by the Principal who writes nothing down and basically gives the guilty kids and their parents a slap on the wrist and makes them promise not to do it again etc...

I can't answer your question, but am currently aware of a public school teacher who is bullying and threatening another person with bodily harm via txt messages. I told this person to first contact the police, and then the DEPED, as one would think they should be concerned about this particular teacher's actions. We'll see where  goes, probably nowhere.

• Like 1

RangerUp

We all know the real solution are those "THIS IS A NO BULLY ZONE" signs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Cebuandrew
2 hours ago, JohnSurrey said:

personally by the Principal who writes nothing down and basically gives the guilty kids and their parents a slap on the wrist and makes them promise not to do it again etc...

Been learning more and more of the power of Barangay Captains. Does the teacher or principal live in same one as the school? Perhaps a 4-5k "gift" to that Barangay Hall might fix the problem.

• Like 1

to_dave007
1 hour ago, Cebuandrew said:

Been learning more and more of the power of Barangay Captains. Does the teacher or principal live in same one as the school? Perhaps a 4-5k "gift" to that Barangay Hall might fix the problem.

if you are right..  wouldn't the success or failure depend if the bully can afford more that 4-5k?

3 hours ago, JohnSurrey said:

the School's CPC 

what is a CPC?

• Like 1

JohnSurrey
26 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

if you are right..  wouldn't the success or failure depend if the bully can afford more that 4-5k?

what is a CPC?

Child Protection Committee 

to_dave007
56 minutes ago, JohnSurrey said:

Child Protection Committee 

I suppose the Child Protection Committee COULD just have the one person..  the principal..  couldn't it?  Don't misunderstand me, bullying has always been a concern of mine with my kids..  and always tough to deal with.  Always tough to find the right balance between "do nothing" and "heavy handed".

How repetitive or chronic is the bullying?  and how severe?

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 1

Jawny

The usual fashion of dealing with this is for the student accused of bullying to have a meeting with the head teacher or some designated staff person.  Little or no actual investigating is done to determine the true nature of the bullying event(s). The outcome in most cases is the bully backs off, and the entire episode passes.  This lasts until about the time the students enter puberty.

When the student bully is older, the process is the same, but the parents often get involved, and nearly always in a defensive mode (my child is incapable of being a bully). There is no real standard process and the results are mixed.  Bullies often come from families with influence and get a slap on the wrist, of that.  Most cases I’m familiar with (and there are few) end up just dying away as an issue as the students find ways to adapt  

Ive had three children in school and from their experiences and descriptions of others, the most common solution is the participation in a barkada, or group of friends.  This is a way of getting support and protection.

Some of the teachers are bullies, and have been for many years.  

I am not surprised there is legislation about this, but I’ve never heard of it being applied. We have four teachers in our immediate family and know many more as extended relatives or neighbors. Some of them get bullied themselves. More of office type harassment, but the effect is the same.

Barangay officials have little usefulness in the school system.  

• Like 1

Bama
4 minutes ago, Jawny said:

Bullies often come from families with influence and get a slap on the wrist, of that.  Most cases I’m familiar with (and there are few) end up just dying away as an issue as the students find ways to adapt  

One way of "adapting" is for the child who is being bullied to introduce the bully to the business end of a 3 foot piece of freshly cut bamboo.Decades ago these type things were handled on the schoolyard. Just my opinion.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

shadow
28 minutes ago, Bama said:

One way of "adapting" is for the child who is being bullied to introduce the bully to the business end of a 3 foot piece of freshly cut bamboo.Decades ago these type things were handled on the schoolyard. Just my opinion.

Decades ago, where I grew up, these things were ignored completely, and anyone complaining about being bullied was the ridiculed and bullied further.

• Like 7

noddle
6 hours ago, shadow said:

Decades ago, where I grew up, these things were ignored completely, and anyone complaining about being bullied was the ridiculed and bullied further.

Not in the Philippine, but when I was in high school, we had a bully,  he bullied us for a year or so, he would picks on people who was on there own,

the best advice we got from 1 teacher was, to give him his own treatment,  so one day in the locker room ( a heap of us students were in there ),  and he came in,

so we gave him,  what he did to us,

after that,  he never bothered anyone.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Bama
2 minutes ago, noddle said:

Not in the Philippine, but when I was in high school, we had a bully, 

The children that  we have raised have been told early on to bend but not break-----turn the other cheek if possible when confronted by a bully or an aggressor.That most things aren't really worth getting upset about in the big picture. They also know at some point-----you just have to weigh in and hand out an A$$ whipping or take your lumps whichever happens. Either way the bullying usually stops at that point.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jawny

I’ve heard of little physical bullying in schools here.  Most of the bullying was in the form of shaming, name calling, that sort of thing.  What has made this even worse, is the use of social media as a way to establish friendships, and the resultant bullying.

Even the Visayas State University has a so-called "confessions" Facebook page where students and staff can post anonymously. They have to register to get the ability to post.  Once they can post, it is stunning the sort of things that get discussed.  Kids discussing their secret crush, dislike of a certain professor....that sort of thing.

Worse, nasty comments can be made as a form of bullying.  This makes it quite difficult to regulate.

Even teachers get in on the bullying bandwagon, without any apparent awareness.  Many times we have heard of teachers making lewd or critical judgement statements to students....you look fatter now after summer break, do you have a boyfriend etc. 

• Like 1

seanm
7 hours ago, Jawny said:

I’ve heard of little physical bullying in schools here.  Most of the bullying was in the form of shaming, name calling, that sort of thing.  What has made this even worse, is the use of social media as a way to establish friendships, and the resultant bullying.

Even the Visayas State University has a so-called "confessions" Facebook page where students and staff can post anonymously. They have to register to get the ability to post.  Once they can post, it is stunning the sort of things that get discussed.  Kids discussing their secret crush, dislike of a certain professor....that sort of thing.

Worse, nasty comments can be made as a form of bullying.  This makes it quite difficult to regulate.

Even teachers get in on the bullying bandwagon, without any apparent awareness.  Many times we have heard of teachers making lewd or critical judgement statements to students....you look fatter now after summer break, do you have a boyfriend etc. 

I visited Visayas State by Baybay maybe 2 weeks ago. That place is like heaven compared to most of the schools I have seen in The Philippines. 

Technologically - they still have a long ways to go, but the atmosphere was pretty great overall.

In terms of bullying I am pretty sure the Chismosa attitude starts at a young age (as they hear this ridiculous type of talk from parents). I have a hard time imagining much physical bullying takes place, but I am pretty sure any half black or white kid is going to get a bunch of shit tossed his way through bullying or whatever you want to call it. 

I was reading an article about Robert Bolick (current basketball player for the Philippines National Team) and he had to deal with a lot of bullying growing up in Ormoc City. That is just the way it is and I have a hard time believing that will change. 

• Like 2