Philippine Expat Forums of the Past

JamesMusslewhite

JamesMusslewhite

When I moved to the Philippines back in 2008 was the first time I became aware of expat forums. Over time I became member to at least eight different forums, even was a moderator on a couple. Now only three of those still exist, and it appears that maybe one of those may have done the way of the dido. I like forums for the most part, though some were a bit heavy-handed on moderation or accepted content. But there seems there are no new boys on the block, which is troubling. I always like diversity as it allows members who did not exactly mesh on one forum to find another place to lay their hat. I met some interesting members on various forums sites, I found out about LinC from another (now defunct) forum site.

It makes on ponder about the past forum owners, the name of their sites and the history of the owners and past members.

• Like 5
JamesMusslewhite

I remember Mindanao Bob's forum which closed years ago, I almost chose to contribute regular written articles on his internet magazine site.  Last I checked his Internet Magazine site is still putting out content. I believe he was operating multiple websites but how many, their content or how many are still operational I really do not know?   

With everything I have going on right now I really do not post much, but later that might change. YouTube videos are really time consuming and I will start soon a Website with a forum, but that forum will primary focus on aquaculture and horticultural topics.

Edited by JamesMusslewhite
  • Like 4

Good post/good thread.   I discovered Philippines forums around the same time, first with Don Herrington's Living In The Philippines site and yahoo group, and then later making frequent visits to LinC, and Bob Martin's site.  I'm not sure why the decline in traffic, as there is still plenty (and probably more) interest in travel and relocation part time or full-time.  The internet has of course grown and the various youtube channels have no doubt had an impact, but I would have thought that the opportunity that a forum offers for two-way participation would have still retained more demand than what we've seen.    

Edit:  Bob Martin is still around, now blogging about his re-acclimation to living in the U.S., which has got to be an interesting and borderline surreal experience.  He and his family seem to be doing fine.  https://bobintheusa.com/

Edited by Chris24
  • Like 4
JamesMusslewhite
3 hours ago, Chris24 said:

Good post/good thread.   I discovered Philippines forums around the same time, first with Don Herrington's Living In The Philippines site and yahoo group, and then later making frequent visits to LinC, and Bob Martin's site.  I'm not sure why the decline in traffic, as there is still plenty (and probably more) interest in travel and relocation part time or full-time.  The internet has of course grown and the various youtube channels have no doubt had an impact, but I would have thought that the opportunity that a forum offers for two-way participation would have still retained more demand than what we've seen.    

Edit:  Bob Martin is still around, now blogging about his re-acclimation to living in the U.S., which has got to be an interesting and borderline surreal experience.  He and his family seem to be doing fine.  https://bobintheusa.com/

I have been a longtime member of livingInThePhilippines but now I receive an 'Error 504 Gateway Timeout', now if that means they too or gone or will return I do not know. I believe it was through that forum that I learned of Mindanao Bob's old forum site. There is a certain networking between forums that I feel naturally occurs, and I feel is a benefits forum owners. 

JamesMusslewhite

Now I know that my style of threads can be a bit different. I have some that are long running threads which I post mirrored threads on several forums at the same time. These can varied as to subject matter and some gab run for years as I have new information on those topics.  Example if a murder thread which goes back some five years, and others on boat building, lobster hatchery and lobster aquaculture. When I started the murder thread it was posted on at least five different threads, but now only it may now only be on two forums.  There was a lot of collective information in those site's archives which simply become ethereal, lost forever which is a shame. Many of those posts were from members who are no longer with us on this plain of existence, which is perhaps the real tragedy of it all  

As a retired commercial horticulturist I love farm & garden threads though most expat forums do not have such forum sections. This is what made LinC unique to me, which was why I decided to become a mod. But time changes as do habits, and currently obligations of certain projects leave little time for regular posting on threads. Many of my long threads are diminishing as posted linked items simply fade, making them hard for new viewers to follow, or are simply locked with time. But forum threads certainly have an edge over Facebook Groups due to how information is structured. Forum threads organize by topic within forum sections. This makes viewing past postings far easier than Facebook and many blog sites, because of their long single-row format, which requires long scrolling and a certain 'seek & find''; which can be both time consuming and frustrating. I have a Facebook Farm & Garden group which is over five years old and over 19,000 members, and to find a certain 2 to 3 year posing can take hours. But on a forum such a task only takes mere minutes, and associated comments and queries are easier to follow, allowing much better communication of information and personal exchanges of ideas.

Even when I have my website completed and the forum section operational, I know I will still be posting threads on other forums.  After all what is the point of an archive if it is not shared with others. Other expats may find this information a benefit or of  some entertainment value. One day it will be my time to slip the surly bonds of Earth to touch the face of my creator, and when that happens, I would like to believe that I left snippets of personal knowledge behind.  For at least a while.  

• Like 2
Headshot
5 hours ago, JamesMusslewhite said:

I have been a longtime member of livingInThePhilippines but now I receive an 'Error 504 Gateway Timeout', now if that means they too or gone or will return I do not know. I believe it was through that forum that I learned of Mindanao Bob's old forum site. There is a certain networking between forums that I feel naturally occurs, and I feel is a benefits forum owners. 

Just a guess,but since Don died, it is likely that his website has been closed.

• Like 1
JamesMusslewhite
7 hours ago, Headshot said:

Just a guess,but since Don died, it is likely that his website has been closed.

That is sad news as I did not know of Don's passing  I really knew very little on his personal life or backstory. His forum site was one of the first (if not the first) forum site stumbled into and joined. Now that leaves only two. Oddly it is similar to Agatha Christie's novel 'And Then There Were None'  aka ''Ten Little Indians''. 

JamesMusslewhite
18 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

It's interesting that you mention people not posting more. I see that in 8 years you have only posted a total of 516 times.

Love your new Avatar...

• Haha 1
JamesMusslewhite
21 hours ago, Jester said:

I enjoy most of your posts James!

This forum is the only expat forum I have belonged to and  has changed over the years and seems to going flat to downhill in my opinion, a casual web surfer finding it would think it is an American forum talking about things in the US.

Social media such as Face book may be playing a part in this, I know FB specialized RV groups are growing in leaps and bounds while the RV websites are dwindling. 

Thank you, sorry I have not been posting more threads but I am knee deep in the final video  of the 3-part Lobster 101 Youtube series. They are so time consuming because of the slideshow format, each video has required over 800 slides. time sync audio tracks, individual photo editing and creating diagrams and drawings. One drawing can easily take one or two days to create, but are only 4 seconds of the slideshow, and each of these three videos run over 90 minutes. Last night the conditions were right to work on a section of the voice over. That took an over a hour and forty to record, it it will probably require over two days to properly edit the audio track, once edited it will probably be cut down to about 45 minutes. I am pushing to have it finished by mid December. I still have a few smaller video projects to complete after that, plus a website/forum to build. But after that....

I will be seriously focusing on my writing again. I will be writing on  hundreds of topics relating to farming, animal husbandry, gardening, organics, vermiculture,  hydroponics, aquaculture, fish ponds and much more;. I am sure some topics will make great treads to add on LinC .

• Like 3