Rockford IL could use the Jeepny system

lamoe

One of the things that is very detrimental in America is living in a smallish city (150,000) and not having a car to get around

Rockford does have a mass transit system that travels the major streets but due to it's physical size (about 63 sq miles / 167 K Sm) and small population using it can add hours to travel times over car due to the set schedules

Larger cities, such as Chicago, have systems that generally run every 10 min, less time during rush hour more late at night

My daughter lives very near a "bus stop" (2 min walk) BUT that bus runs only once an hour - so for a 9:15 appointment at VA need to catch the 7:30 bus up to transfer point - the 7:40 connection goes directly to VA - arrives 8:20  <> - not bad 50 min (8 1/2 miles)

Big problem is these two only run from 5:15 AM to 6 PM - yep - you'd better be back at the terminal / transfer point or you be walking

Coming back can be up to almost an hour longer ( 1 hour 50 min) if you miss rerun bus and have to wait for the next one

Uber is  $7.50 to $10 each way 

main shopping  area State Street east side - 7:30 am bus gets me to Walmart (12 miles) at 9:10  1 hour 40 min but State Street bus runs every half hour 15 / 45 min off scheduled bus run to daughter's house - so it can take up to 2 1/4 hours to go 12 miles

Or 5 hours simply riding the bus for what in a car is less that 45 / 50 min

To go  from her place to the only enclosed shopping mall adds another bus and 10:20 min to inbound but can be 1/2 to 1 /12 hours extra coming back (again runs only once an hour)

2 hours ago, Headshot said:

Sounds like Uber is your answer.

Would be if time was of a concern - since it isn't not a problem

My reason for posting was that many "affluent" people who do drive (2 / 3 car families - mine at one time had 4  for 3 people) don't realize the hardship that can be imposed by a very limited mass transit system

Growing up in Chicago was no problem - here for those without one it is - especially working people who can't afford an extra $7:50 / $10  a day to get to or back from work.

Cebuandrew

Hmmm...google map shows 3 walmarts in that town. How many "average sized walmart customers" ya' think can fit in a jeepney?

• Haha 1
HeyMike

Bayonne New Jersey has been using jitneys for many years. Their version of the jeepney. They work well for getting around Bayonne and other neighboring cities.

Here the 1 hour - 5 to 6 routes use full size buses and when I've used them only the main drag State Street is ever near capacity

59 minutes ago, lamoe said:

Here the 1 hour - 5 to 6 routes use full size buses and when I've used them only the main drag State Street is ever near capacity

Why don't you just rent a car and be done with the waiting around ??? 

45 minutes ago, Bama said:

Why don't you just rent a car and be done with the waiting around ??? 

$50 a day - got nothing else to do - gets me out of the house

9 hours ago, lamoe said:

$50 a day - got nothing else to do - gets me out of the house

Then skip the car and go to Chi Town---plenty to do there.

19 minutes ago, Bama said:

Then skip the car and go to Chi Town---plenty to do there.

True - but I'm a really terrible solitary traveler - never learned how

Got married at 19 and we always did the sight seeing together

Even when in other countries on business never explored alone

For me when you have a companion you enjoy something 3 times

Anticipation / planning - realization - rememberance

Have been approached on bus but declined

2 hours ago, lamoe said:

True - but I'm a really terrible solitary traveler - never learned how

Then take daughter,GKs with you.

A day trip to the Shedd Aquarium ,Adler Planetarium, and Field Museum all next to each other with a packed lunch at Grant Park.

Sounds good to me.

4 hours ago, GBT62 said:

there is no system to Jeepneys .... only chaos

Chaos is the preferred system here.

Headshot
On 9/16/2019 at 10:26 AM, lamoe said:

Would be if time was of a concern - since it isn't not a problem

The advantage to using Uber and Grab is more convenience than time. It sounds like you have two choices in Rockford. You can take the bus, and go wherever it goes on its schedule (and walk anyplace they don't go) ... or you can catch an Uber ride and they pick you up where you are and deliver you to where you are going. That is what Uber and Grab give you (whether you are in Rockford or Cebu). Riding a Jeepney is my absolute last choice. They don't go anywhere near my house, and they don't always go near where I am going. I wouldn't wish a Jeepney system on any other location.

For me Uber / Grab are very doable if I wanted

The point was that America is a culture dependent on the car - except for NYC where it'[s a detriment:tongue_01:

The Rockford  system doesn't allow a very feasible means of transportation for the working poor without a car. $7.50 / $10.00 isn't for them. 5 am til 6 pm 1 hour runs

This is not intentional on the cities part - just the truth about living in some areas of America without a car

Aurora IL  - larger - much more prosperous  - doesn't have any

Heck even in Chicago - which has an excellent grid system - you could have to walk up to .4 miles  2/3 Km or more to get to a bus  -in winter that's brutal

Edited by lamoe