Do This if You Remodel or Build

Headshot

This product may or may not be available in the Philippines, but borax (which is the active ingredient) is available. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • 2 weeks later...
David_LivinginTalisay

I want to get rid of Ants. 

I read that Borax , mixed with icing sugar works well!

Can anyone confirm if it's successful and stops these damn ants walking across any  surface  of the house they choose and enter/leave through tiny cracks.

I see one can buy on Lazada now

Borax, 1kg
₱108
₱125-14%
(75)
National Capital Region (NCR)

Borax Powder 1 Kilogram
₱219
₱510-57%
(227)
Philippines

Borax (1 kg)
₱110
(178)
Philippines

Kemrad Borax 500 grams
₱98
₱320-69%
(39)

Borax Powder 1kilogram
₱170
(96)
Philippines

Borax Powder 1 Kilogram
₱219
₱510-57%
(15)
Philippines

Borax - Borax Decahydrate or Sodium Borate Tech Grade (approx 1 kilo)
₱105
₱475-78%
(39)

Dalkem Borax Powder Sodium Tetraborate 500 grams
₱98
₱400-76%

Kemrad Borax 1 kilogram
₱164
₱473-65%
(125)

Dalkem Borax Powder Sodium Tetraborate 1 kilogram
₱164.64
₱470-65%
(5)

Cyleina Organic Borax Powder
₱275
₱500-45%
(145)

I brought borax in box before. Mixed with white sugar, spread around outside of house in may 2018, we are back in Bohol as of aug 3, 2019...no ants in or around house.

• Like 1
David_LivinginTalisay
1 hour ago, Banacon said:

I brought borax in box before. Mixed with white sugar, spread around outside of house in may 2018, we are back in Bohol as of aug 3, 2019...no ants in or around house.

Was the sugar, granulated or caster (or doesn't it matter)?

to_dave007
2 hours ago, Banacon said:

how much Borax? 100mg? 1kg? 10kg? 100kg?

Edited by to_dave007
  • Haha 1

Bought the box in California, put in BB and sent to cebu. Think it was average size, like a box of laundry soap. Had ant issues, put some in small saucers around kitchen, mixed with equal or so white sugar, not powdered. Still had problem when we left, so I took whole box and mixed with sugar, putting around outside of house. No ants, last two months..

• Like 2
Headshot

I posted this back in 21015, but the thread has been locked, so here it is again. Yes, this DOES work.

I just went down to Benny's Pawnshop at the intersection of Sanciangko and Palaez in Colon to buy some borax powder. The funny thing is that the lady running the shop had no idea that borax could be used to kill ants. In the jewelery business, borax is used to purify gold. I mixed up a batch of solution, and the ants are happily slurping it up now. Here is the recipe I used for my solution, and the ants seem to like it fine.

Getting rid of ants with borax

When ants show up in your home, often your first reaction may be to grab the phone and call the exterminator.  Don’t. This three ingredient solution was the cheapest method, using only items that I happened to have at home.

Supplies Needed

• 1/2 cup of sugar

• 1 1/2 tablespoons Borax

• 1 1/2 cups warm water

• Cotton balls or paper towel

Instructions

1. Mix the Borax and sugar together until well combined.

2. Add the mixture to your warm water and mix constantly until the powder has been completely dissolved.

3. Seal the mixture in a jar or container for future use, and use only what you need in the next steps (and save the rest).  It is important that you clearly label the jar, as it will just look like water.  Do not leave this where children can get to it.  (Because this is such an easy solution to make, however, I only kept what I made until after the ants had been gone for a week or more.)

4. Fill some jar lids, milk caps, or other shallow containers with cotton balls or a wad of paper towel.

5. Add the sugar-Borax solution to the prepared lids making sure to soak the cotton balls (or paper towel).

6. Wait.  It may take the ants a while to find the solution.  But, once they do, let them feast (and take the solution back to their home).  At our house, to speed up the finding process, I placed a couple of the soaked cotton balls directly on the ledge in my kitchen where most of the ants were.

Be prepared – more ants will probably show up once they find the solution.  However, within a day, you’ll probably see much fewer ants.  Over the course of just a few days, all of the ants should likely be gone.  Because we had watched the ants quite a bit, we noticed where they were coming from and made sure to use a sealant to seal the area to stop them from coming back in the future.

What other solutions have you taken to solve an insect problem in your home?

http://thehappyhousewife.com/home-management/how-to-get-rid-of-ants-with-three-ingredients/

If you notice, the recipe calls for borax...NOT boric acid...so I guess borax works on ants. I'll let everybody know in a couple of days how it works out. I just put it out in a few places where I have ant trails. If I notice a reduction in ants, I will put it out in several more spots on my property. I have a few fire ant colonies that I need to get rid of.

BTW, there IS pay parking on Sanciangko Street on the left side of the street before you get to Pelaez. Once you pass Pelaez, there is no parking. If you are coming from the south on Rosario, you turn on P. del Rosario, then turn right on Sanciangko. Look immediately on the left for available parking spots. If you are coming forom the north, you need to turn right by the YASCO sign, and take that street to Colon Street. Turn right on Colon and drive to Jakosalem, where you will turn left (one way). The first street you get to on the left will be Sanciangko (also one way). Once on Sanciangko, look for parking in the first block unless you are feeling lucky enough to find a parking spot in the block just before Pelaez. There are a lot of one way streets in that area, so if you miss a turn, you might be driving around a bit before you can get back on track.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
East Saxon

I use Borax with sugar and it works on most ants. The mix should be about  1 part Borax to 3 or 4 parts Sugar add water to make a paste then put it where the ants can find it. The Knack is not to make the mix too strong or they will die as soon as they eat it,you want them to take some back to the nest for a party.

• Like 3
HongKongPhooey

After reading all the tips on Borax (never used it, no experience, but googling it shows it’s a great cleaner), why not go the nuclear option and use it to clean everything where it won’t damage the surface area /hardware? Seems like it works great on tile grout and tiles and that’s a huge % of the surface area in the house. If you don’t overdue it on dosage, it looks pretty safe. Unless it can hurt the kids, I’m ready to launch Operation Borax.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
Headshot

I have used the mixture stated in the recipe for several years. The only times I have ant problems is when I have been without ants for a while and forget to replenish the little ant feeders that I use (small recycled plastic containers). My wife has braces, and she uses wax she gets from Watson's. The little containers (when torn in half at the hinge) are perfect as bait trays.

48774868_1AntBaitTray.thumb.jpg.e7b67fcbcd9391548094bd3edb6604c1.jpg

Edited by Headshot