Exit Clearance Certificates

Jim Sibbick
Half true, you can get an exemption at the RP tourist authority (near pier 1). cost is 200or 250 pesos for about 30 minutes of your time.

So many generals, not enough soldiers. Even Markham is a moderator now. Not long and I will get banned, ..... again.

I have never stayed more than a year so haven't had to pay the travel tax in the past but I fully expect to have to pay it in the future.

The travel tax primer is very clear that tourists have to pay

http://www.philtourism.gov.ph/ttax.html

Would you please explain about the exemption.

Thankyou!

Regards: Jim

A_Simple_Man
Half true, you can get an exemption at the RP tourist authority (near pier 1). cost is 200or 250 pesos for about 30 minutes of your time.

So many generals, not enough soldiers. Even Markham is a moderator now. Not long and I will get banned, ..... again.

It is my observance that some members enjoy the priviledge of imparting accurate information to us while others enjoy pointing out that the aforementioned poster does not know everything (allowing that some sincerely believe that they do).

Then there are some who enjoy doing both. BTW, I suspect that Admiral would fit Mark more than General :lol:

Thank you for the info about the RP tourist authority. I hope you are wrong about being banned. You frequently challenge the boundaries of this forum but often have something valuable to say.

About the travel tax: I paid it because the law said I needed to, but in reality I didn't need to. I bought my ticket from NWA.com using a US address. When I checked in, they didn't ask to see my receipt for paying the tax, but they did ask for the receipt for my wife and kids. In fact, Northwest didn't even check out what date I entered.

Just a little heads up. Don't pay it one second before they say you have to, at the airport.

If you've been in the Philippines for more than 6 months, you have to apply (in person) for an Exit Clearance from the Bureau of Immigration before leaving the country. I got mine today and it's a relatively painless experience.

Mark

I may be talking about something different here so I want to clarify what I received from the BI

I went to the Philippines on a 59 day visa and extended it for another month in Dumaguete in my receipts there is a item marked ECC, P700 and the lady gave me a letter from the BI. Marked in large letters under the BI heading is the word CERTIFICATION. She told me I had to show this to the immigration officer as I leave the Philippines. I left the Philippines after being there for 10 weeks.

The certification says " This is to certify that the name "Art" born --- in AUSTRALIA, DOES NOT APPEAR in this Bureau's Hold Departure, Blacklist, Watch List and / Intelligence derogatory Records as of September 30 2008

Is this the same thing? I didn't ask for it I didn't know I needed it, she gave it to me and told me I had to have it as she handed back my passport.

The Fee was P3,300 plus P1000 expedited lane fee = P4300

Edited by Art
Turbota

An Exit Clearance is exactly that ... Required for foreigners that are in the PI on a tourist visa (stamp) or a 13a permanent visa and have remained here for more 6 months straight ... the Clearance is required and essentially states that you have no hold requirements do to legal problems such as out on bail, impending court dates, investigations, etc.

Again ... if you have not been continually in the PI for more than 6 months on a tourist visa or 13a visa there is [NO] requirement to pay for or recieve an Exit Clearance prior to departure.

Edited by Turbota
Markham
The certification says " This is to certify that the name "Art" born --- in AUSTRALIA, DOES NOT APPEAR in this Bureau's Hold Departure, Blacklist, Watch List and / Intelligence derogatory Records as of September 30 2008

Is this the same thing? I didn't ask for it I didn't know I needed it, she gave it to me and told me I had to have it as she handed back my passport.

No, that is not an Exit Clearance Certificate. What you were handed was simply the certificate which your pay for as "Certification Fee" and also an "Express Lane Fee"; BoI didn't used to actually print and give you these certificates, now they do.

An Exit Control Certificate has your photo and finger-prints.

Turbota

Markam .... Maybe I was confused as to what he paid for.

The 4,300 pesos he paid at imigrations wasn't for an actual Exit Clearance. The cost he paid was basically to get his additional tourist visa extension.

He never was in the PI continually for more than 6 months, so he was never required to get an actual Exit Clearance prior to leaving.

Ok I did some research maybe I am getting confused over the wording as the officer did call it an exit clearance certificate as she explained it to me and the receipt says ECC.

I did some research and the only information I could find was on the US Embassy page. So between 59 days and six months you only need an exit clearance if you are longer than 6 months you need an EMIGRATION CLEARANCE CERTIFICATE.

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwha006.html#ExitClear

Exit Clearances

If you meet the following classifications below, you will need to follow the instructions and apply for the proper exit clearance at one of the five BI regional offices. Sub-ports cannot process exit clearance permits. All fees and conditions are subject to change. Normal processing time of 4-5 business days (expedite option available in most cases for +Php500).

1. Tourist: 59 days - 6 months

Tourists staying more than 59 days but less than 6 months must pay an exit clearance fee of Php 1,210. If your date of departure is certain, this can be paid through one of the five BI regional offices; otherwise, the exit fee can be paid at the airport upon your departure.

2. Tourist 6 months+

Tourists staying more than 6 months must obtain an Emigration Elearance Certificate(ECC) from BI. You must submit the proper form along with 3 passport-sized photographs and the fee of Php 1,000.

3. Permanent Resident

Permanent residents temporarily leaving the country must apply for a re-entry permit with BI. Applicant must submit 3 passport-sized photographs, proof of residency status, and the fee of Php 3,470.

bikerdave
It is my observance that some members enjoy the priviledge of imparting accurate information to us while others enjoy pointing out that the aforementioned poster does not know everything (allowing that some sincerely believe that they do).

Then there are some who enjoy doing both.

This is why the forum is so informative as laws and rules change around here on an almost daily basis. I for sure am one (even living here for over 15 yrs) am happy to have a site like this to get updated info and learn from the past experiences of others and not just one person. If these inaccurate informations were not pointed out it would be like no info at all

• 3 weeks later...
Bukwali

Hi All, I have read all posts above and am still a little confused, but my case is also a little different, I have stayed here on a balikbayan visa for 12 months, then extended on a tourist visa twice, so total time spent in Philippines 16 months, 12 months on Balikbayan and four months on tourist visa, according to above posts a Balibayan does not require an exit visa, and I've been less than six months on a tourist visa, so I guess I don't need an exit visa?................OK I'm just posing my problem I will pay a visit to BI to get it from the horses mouth so to speak, even then I might ask for some written confirmation as BI officers at the airport do not always work the same rules as the rest of the BI especially the Manila Bunch.

• 1 month later...
Bukwali
Hi All, I have read all posts above and am still a little confused, but my case is also a little different, I have stayed here on a balikbayan visa for 12 months, then extended on a tourist visa twice, so total time spent in Philippines 16 months, 12 months on Balikbayan and four months on tourist visa, according to above posts a Balibayan does not require an [ECC], and I've been less than six months on a tourist visa, so I guess I don't need an ECC?................OK I'm just posing my problem I will pay a visit to BI to get it from the horses mouth so to speak, even then I might ask for some written confirmation as BI officers at the airport do not always work the same rules as the rest of the BI especially the Manila Bunch.

Regards my last post [see above] I visited the Mandaue BI office this morning and inquired about the need for an Emigration Clearance Certificate or ECC, I was informed that I would require an ECC, I'd brought all the relevant papers along so produced my passport and Photo's, completed and signed the application form then passed the completed form and passport to window three who stamped and signed my application, then waited ten minutes or so before being called forward for finger printing, actually that's not exactly true now its only thumb printing [ it used to be thumb, fingers and palm,] take some tissue to wipe ink of thumb,s total time 30 mins, total cost 500 php.

There may have been some confusion using the term Exit visa, It should read Emigration Clearance Certificate ECC, it seems that you will receive a Text only version of the ECC when applying for normal tourist extensions, and a more detailed version including pictures and thumb prints when you intend exiting the country after an extended continual period of six months

see picture below

COPYOFCOPYOFSCANNEDIMAGE.jpg