Jump to content
Bama

Court rules VA must reimburse veterans for emergency care at non-VA centers

Recommended Posts

Bama

Don't know if this is helpful to anyone so I'm just throwing it out there..........

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/460837-court-rules-va-must-reimburse-veterans-for-emergency-care-at-non-va

Court rules VA must reimburse veterans for emergency care at non-VA centers

Quote

 

A federal court has ruled against a regulation issued by the Department of Veterans Affairs that allowed the department to block reimbursements from veterans who received emergency medical care at non-VA facilities, NBC News reports.

According to the publication, the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims handed down the ruling on Monday, in which it found that the department had violated federal law by issuing a rule last year that blocked it from reimbursing veterans for emergency medical care costs at non-VA facilities. 

The ruling, which found that the department had wrongfully denied reimbursements to veterans under the 2018 rule, reportedly comes years after the department found itself in hot water for another regulation that blocked coverage benefits to veterans for emergency claims if their insurance covered a portion of the costs.

At the time in 2015, the same court also reportedly found that the department had violated the same federal law with the regulation.

Amanda Wolfe, a plaintiff in the suit who previously served in the Coast Guard, told NBC News that she was “overjoyed” by the ruling.

“I think it means change, it means that veterans don’t have to be afraid of receiving care, emergency care. They can have that sense of security that sense of peace knowing they are covered if they have emergency care,” Wolfe said. 

“I served side by side with some of these veterans who were impacted and to think that this is going to make a difference for them is what is most important to me,” Wolfe continued. 

According to NBC News, lawyers representing the plaintiffs say that the VA may have to reimburse thousands of veterans as a result of the ruling, which could amount to billions of dollars for the department. 

The VA did not immediately return a request for comment from The Hill.

  

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Soupeod

Thank you! Good to know.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lamoe

VA is still AV (against veterans) in many ways

A little OT but an indication on how the VA (at least in Rockford IL and regional in  Madison WI) is working here

Home for 3 weeks - wanted "professional" eye exam for double vision (didn't present a problem driving there :db:)

On Monday was told I have to call in person to "VA Community Care" department -  was after hours - called yesterday -  they arranged visit for 10 AM today at office about 2 miles away.

Scheduled for complete physical on the 16th - already found out they won't send meds out of country but will send to home of record for forwarding.

As for the emergency care - couple of years ago  broke back on a Saturday - called on Monday (was in pain but not severe)

"Can you drive here or get someone to bring you to Madison?"  86 miles - NO - tried to ride in car on Sunday - that was severe

"OK - do you need an ambulance?  NO

"Go to any emergency room - have them call this number"

Turns out broke 6 bones but cord was OK - no treatment possible  - just rest and pain killers

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smokey

Well my wife has a brother did 30 years here all i can say is way better off being us

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bmoore

This only applies to  disabled, retired and indigent veterans? Correct? I am a plain old none of the above type veteran and as far as I am aware all I should except is a free flag for my funeral. Which is fine. That was my understanding when I enlisted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lamoe
1 hour ago, bmoore said:

This only applies to  disabled, retired and indigent veterans? Correct? I am a plain old none of the above type veteran and as far as I am aware all I should except is a free flag for my funeral. Which is fine. That was my understanding when I enlisted.

Have you ever been evaluated?

You signed a binding contract with the US - same as any policeman, fireman, or worker does with their employer

Don't know your circumstances  but in essence you agreed to put yourself in harm's way  for  the US- you kept your end of the agreement - they should have to keep theirs

The VA will not, as a rule, solicit your participation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lordblacknail

it depends on how long you served. I served three years and one day. Therefore, I get va medical care forever. I have to pay co pays due to my income, but it is much cheaper than anything else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lamoe
16 minutes ago, Lordblacknail said:

it depends on how long you served. I served three years and one day. Therefore, I get va medical care forever. I have to pay co pays due to my income, but it is much cheaper than anything else.

More based on disability rating - brother shot in back - served  less than 1 1/2 years - early discharge program after returning from Vietnam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bmoore
1 hour ago, lamoe said:

Have you ever been evaluated?

You signed a binding contract with the US - same as any policeman, fireman, or worker does with their employer

Don't know your circumstances  but in essence you agreed to put yourself in harm's way  for  the US- you kept your end of the agreement - they should have to keep theirs

The VA will not, as a rule, solicit your participation

No I have never been evaluated. Served 7 years, honorably discharged E-6.  I am retiring in two weeks from a civilian job so I have always had health insurance thru woork. I have veterans ID card but I just use it for  discounts at home depot on the 4th of July.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lamoe
20 minutes ago, bmoore said:

No I have never been evaluated. Served 7 years, honorably discharged E-6.  I am retiring in two weeks from a civilian job so I have always had health insurance thru woork. I have veterans ID card but I just use it for  discounts at home depot on the 4th of July.

4 yrs / 3 mo  E-5 - for me - never evaluated for over 30 yrs - then applied  - 30%  - lost out on close to 100K?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lamoe
5 hours ago, bmoore said:

No I have never been evaluated. Served 7 years, honorably discharged E-6.  I am retiring in two weeks from a civilian job so I have always had health insurance thru woork. I have veterans ID card but I just use it for  discounts at home depot on the 4th of July.

Not sure if you meant Home Depot only on 4 th of July

Last time I was here used it for 10% on everything including clearance, Lowe's same - Menard NO

Hope they haven't changed policy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jawny

This is an interesting court ruling and may be a significant benefit to many.  Not sure I see how it connects to shopping discounts or how veterans are categorized when applying for disability benefits. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bama

I wondered when I posted this article if perhaps vets living overseas could be reimbursed for emergency room visits at non VA facilities. The article doesn't say that they can nor do I see that it says that they can't.

How about vets with service related disabilities living overseas ? IDK. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lamoe
1 hour ago, Jawny said:

This is an interesting court ruling and may be a significant benefit to many.  Not sure I see how it connects to shopping discounts or how veterans are categorized when applying for disability benefits. 

The op doesn't  - was providing possible relevant info to preceding post

 

23 minutes ago, Bama said:

I wondered when I posted this article if perhaps vets living overseas could be reimbursed for emergency room visits at non VA facilities. The article doesn't say that they can nor do I see that it says that they can't.

How about vets with service related disabilities living overseas ? IDK. 

Probability not - unless was due to service connected disability

One of the reasons I'm here for annual complete checkup - everything except dentures covered w/co-pay, spell checker texted anal instead of annual (how did it know?:scratch_head:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cebuandrew
1 hour ago, Bama said:

How about vets with service related disabilities living overseas ?

At 100% disability, yes. Gather hospital records here and send them to an office in Denver that handles such things for reimbursement. 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..