Cebuandrew

Santa Fe gets a storm drain (or something)

Cebuandrew

A few days ago, they started a build on a storm drain, along the main road in downtown Santa Fe. Not even the business owners were given notice. I've been watching it, and it is clear this is a first on my island, cuz no one knows what they are doing. The workers tell me it will go from the atm all the way to MJ Square. But none of them know the "when" or "how" it will be completed. 170 meters long.

Today, I took some photos. The 3rd one down is very telling. On the right side is a makeshift wall of hollow blocks. To the right of that is going into the public market. So, the contractor put this barrier up to keep people out...for safety? But, the 3 busy sari sari's and bakery had their own solution to stay open. Had dinner tonight across the street, and this doesn't seem to even faze the locals shopping there. Idk...seems like a serious accident just waiting to happen.

DSC01599.JPG

DSC01609.JPG

DSC01606.JPG

DSC01605.JPG

• Like 2

Paddy

The size of the trench is similar to the drain specification here in Masbate where all road widening comes with drains. Similar retrofits have been done - with about a 4 inch curb once the top is on. They did one retrofit in front of my bank here. Parking went from OK to downright interesting!!

I’d love to see western Elf n Safety jobsworths reactions to the construction sites!😀

When I lived in Singapore in the 60’s, the monsoon drains on side roads were bigger than this. The good thing, however, is that local public works engineers have finally woken up to the need to manage runoff. 

Some of these drains seem to work. Others...not so much! I have yet to see any drain constructor checking things with even a spirit level let alone a theodolite!

Opposite a small parking lot for our LCC supermarket is one of these drains. It runs parallel to the port dock which is about 100m away. The road is a meter or two higher than the general sea level at the port. Easy access to the sea - you’d think. 

When it rains the road floods to within a few inches of the parked cars. 

liquido

Whatever it takes there...They need a storm drain there badly on main street..After a good rain there that street turns into the Mekong River... 

• Like 1

Paddy
Just now, liquido said:

After a good rain there that street turns into the Mekong River

Hmmm, and that trench is going to carry a river’s worth of water?😀

The expression “better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick” springs to mind...

• Like 1

Cebuandrew
1 hour ago, liquido said:

Whatever it takes there...They need a storm drain there badly on main street..After a good rain there that street turns into the Mekong River... 

True, that road can get 6-8 inches deep after a good rain, but this is a fishing island--boats are everywhere!

user333

Hopefully they'll use a 1 meter diameter concrete pipe for the drainage. But they're probably just going to use 0.5 meters. It'll fill up with water (and sticks, leaves, and trash) during a heavy rain and just delay the drainage. I used to live in Bangkok and their drainage lines would get backed up and for 12 hours after a rain, the streets would just be a big, murky puddle. 

to_dave007

This is all fine and good..  but what would south east Asia be like without the occasional flooded road? 

I tend to think they aren't serious until I start worrying if my feet will get wet..  inside my Crosswind.  That happens when I go visit my dear Canadian friend out on the beach during an August high tide..  Need to be careful to watch the tide schedule...  else might have trouble getting out...  or get my feet wet trying (inside the Crosswind).