shadow

American woman arrested at NAIA with 6 day old Filipino baby

shadow

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, September 4) — Immigration officials held a middle-aged American woman hiding a six-day-old baby in her luggage at the airport on Wednesday.

They arrested the 43 year old woman around 6:20 a.m. by the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) Terminal 3 security. She is now in the custody of the National Bureau of Investigation.

"[The] infant was hidden in the oversized belt bag and (she) did not declare nor present to the immigration inspector during departure formalities," said the Bureau of Immigration.

Authorities said the woman claimed she was the child’s aunt, but she had no documents to prove this, not even a passport.

This is a developing story.

https://cnnphilippines.com/news/2019/9/4/american-woman-hides-filipino-infant-naia.html?fbclid=IwAR1c13L5SdLKtIQcwzmjtZKZIffa8b3TZpRjPNRbvwIFIqzgsuMiKD54hpc%3Ffbclid#.XW9HZJj2Nkw.twitter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

RedRanger

She had no passport?  Don't jive to me

Edited by RedRanger
  • Haha 1

shadow
4 minutes ago, RedRanger said:

She had no passport?  Don't jive to me

It would be pretty difficult to get a passport for a baby in 6 days.

RedRanger
Just now, shadow said:

It would be pretty difficult to get a passport for a baby in 6 days.

It says the woman had no passport.  

"Authorities said the woman claimed she was the child’s aunt, but she had no documents to prove this, not even a passport. They have yet to interrogate Talbot, the NBI said, since she requested to speak to the US Embassy first."

shadow
1 minute ago, RedRanger said:

It says the woman had no passport.  

"Authorities said the woman claimed she was the child’s aunt, but she had no documents to prove this, not even a passport. They have yet to interrogate Talbot, the NBI said, since she requested to speak to the US Embassy first."

It seemed pretty obvious to me that they were referring to her not having a passport for the baby. Maybe I am just more used to reading Philippine news stories.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Davaoeno
5 minutes ago, shadow said:

It seemed pretty obvious to me that they were referring to her not having a passport for the baby. Maybe I am just more used to reading Philippine news stories.

Or maybe you have at least a  modicum of reading comprehension !!   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

Paddy

I am having trouble thinking up a good reason why anyone would take a 6 day old baby on an international flight at all, let alone without documentation and “hidden” in a belt bag while claiming to be an aunt when challenged.

I can think of a few bad reasons...

Notwithstanding local journalism standards, this doesn’t look like it will turn out well. 

Well done to the staff at NAIA. Although I can’t imagine how she expected to put her luggage through X-Ray (twice)...

• Like 1

shadow
1 hour ago, Paddy said:

I am having trouble thinking up a good reason why anyone would take a 6 day old baby on an international flight at all, let alone without documentation and “hidden” in a belt bag while claiming to be an aunt when challenged.

I can think of a few bad reasons...

Notwithstanding local journalism standards, this doesn’t look like it will turn out well. 

Well done to the staff at NAIA. Although I can’t imagine how she expected to put her luggage through X-Ray (twice)...

Obviously, the woman has some mental issues.

• Like 5

Bama

Since the baby obviously doesn't belong to the American then some Filipina is missing a child.

No missing persons report----no BOLO warnings---no news report on GMA with the frantic mom? Bit more to this story I suspect.

RangerUp
19 hours ago, shadow said:

Maybe I am just more used to reading Philippine news stories.

Making sense of nonsense. It should have said "not even a birth certificate".

• Haha 1

RedRanger

Fake News...……..

Jawny

This is a shocking story about what may be some sort of human trafficking of an infant.  Calling it fake news is completely pointless.  The news is real, the agencies involved appear to be doing their duty, the journalists reporting the story are sticking with the basic facts and not getting into speculation.    

• Like 1

shadow
21 minutes ago, RedRanger said:

Fake News...……..

It appears to me the only person posting nonsense here is you. Either you stop it, or be banned from the thread. Your choice.

• Thanks 1

Jawny

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/05/asia/philippine-us-woman-baby-intl-hnk-trnd/index.html

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/sep/05/american-philippines-baby-human-trafficking-charge

These two stories indicate the woman at the center of this story is being charged with human trafficking and some other charges.  There is a mother of the child named, and perhaps that will lead to charges as well.

When I read stories like this, I get the impression that some people out the country get an impression of the Philippines that is way off base.  This woman may have felt she could "rescue" this child in some fashion and the Philippine authorities just aren’t that concerned. She may have a long time in prison to reflect on this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lordblacknail

this woman is just so screwed. Another churcher act of kindness that went wrong. Where are all of the people that helped talk her into this now? This will not end well.